Author Topic: Wuhan stuff to do?  (Read 2638 times)

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
Wuhan stuff to do?
« on: June 20, 2010, 03:11:59 pm »
I am getting married to Sunny in Wuhan in September and I am looking for recommendations for things to do there.
We will be there for a few days (getting married, passport sorted out then back to GZ for the next week where my folks will visit, then honeymoon..hopefully in Thailand if passport is sorted in time)  and I haven't been there before so was wondering if any of the bro's that have been there before have any recommendations?
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline maxx

Re: Wuhan stuff to do?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 04:44:41 pm »
In Wuhan you can go to the yellow crane tower.Climb up to the top check out the ancient art works on each floor.Walk threw the gardens around the the towerThe crane tower is a couple of hours tour self guided.And then thiere is a bhudist monistary.With 500 buhidist statues.You go to the left as you walk threw the door.Pick a statue and start counting until you reach your age.Then tell sunny which one it is.You then can go to the fortune teller they have on site and they will tell you your fortune.It was all really cheap.Thiere is a coule of good restraunts beside the tower.

If your asking about Thailand.I would suggest you never go.If you do ignore my advice.Be prepare for a life long obsession.Of trying to figure out how to get back to Thailand.Be prepared to sell the house.Sell your parents house.Sell your car.Sell your parents car.Sell your neighbors house and car.Once you visit Thailand you will never be the same.If you don't think about Thailand every day of your life after your trip.You have never ben to Thailand.

Bangkok Makes a hard man humble.In my opinion the best place to stay is somewhere on Sukhumvit road ( spelling ) it is in the center of everything worth seeing or a short taxi ride.The sub way system main line runs along sukhumvit rd.So it is easy to go anywhere.for things to do.You can go to the leaning buddha.check out the old palace.do a canal tour.go to the worlds  biggest flee market.go to the night market.go to th floating market.you can take these tours from Your hotel help desk.they will arrange everything for you.it cost me like 25.00 bucks for the day.lunch was included.

A must see if you are even near Bangkok.Is the Jeet museum and the cemetery.And ride the train on the death railway.And cross the Kwai bridge.It's a all day tour.With lunch.I took a boat ride under the Kwai bridge for like 2 dollars.Later you can go see the wild monkeys and the snake show.And ride the Elephants.Do take the tiger tour.Where for a couple of dollars you.can get your picture taken with a full grown Bengal tiger.Sleeping on your lap.

Try a traditional Thai massage.It does make everything in the world right.For a few bucks you can go to Pattaya.It is on the coast.About a hour drive from Bangkok.When you arrive at Pattaya.Take a boat out to Coral island.Spend the day laying on the beach.Rent a scooter and drive all over the island.If you follow the road to the top of the island.You can park the scooter.And swim in the ocean.There is allot less people thiere.Plenty of places to eat on the island.They even had parasailing thiere if you want to try that.Also they have a glass bottom boat.That you can see all the way to the bottom.The water is really clean around coral island.

If your looking for more excitement.Take a walk on walking street at night.Pattaya along with all of Thailand comes alive at night.Anything and everything can be had in Thailand at night.That being said.Keep your wife close to you.A Thai woman will not usually proposition a man.If he is already with another woman.

Do's and don't of Thailand.Don't talk bad about the king.If you drop money on the ground do not step on it with your foot.Do not touch a Thai person on the head.Do not talk politics with a Thai.English is widely spoken in Thailand so your not going to have a problem getting around.Only take registered taxi's.When I stayed in Bangkok.I rented my own taxi for the day.It usually cost me 10 to 15 dollars.Depending on where I wanted to go.I even Shanghaied my driver and made him go to the flee market with me.So I wouldn't get lost inside.

Thailand is the land of smiles.It is usually really safe for foreigners.If you get in a bind.Just tell them to call the tourist police.The quarrel is ussualy over after that.This is Asia.So you are expected to bargain for everything.You do  tip in Thailand.

Check travel warnings with your consulate before you go.Thailand is not happy if thiere isn't a little revolution in the air.Either from the Muslims in the south.Or from the red shirts.Or the Yellow shirts.There usually small revolutions.That last from a couple of weeks to a couple of months.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 11:52:26 pm by maxx »

ttwjr32

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 07:58:06 pm »
thats really great that your parents are coming to china for the big day. how long will they stay
here in GZ? they will enjoy it very much especially with the big day event happening

Paul Todd

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 10:29:54 pm »
Excellent write up Maxx,

Yes I do think about Thailand a lot!  Irish I spent most of my time there in the north,well I'm more a mountain man than a beach bum. If you fancy going up north start in Chiang Mai it's not as hectic as BK. I have some good Thai friends there that own a hotel,really nice people they will pick you up from the airport and see to your every need! You can take a cheap flight out of Bangkok or a sleeper train overnight. Just give me a shout and I'll arrange it for you. If you go further north into the golden triangle there are two very beautifully towns Maesai and Chaingsaen. In Chiangsaen you can rent villa overlooking the the Mekong river ,very cheaply and on the other side is Burma. Talk about romantic but I won't go into that here. and the sunsets are spectacular, If you get the chance go and visit the hill tribes in the area I liked them so much I moved in with one tribe, fantastic people! Have you considered Bali for a honeymoon. Now that's one beautiful place! direct flights from Beijing too!

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 02:59:54 pm »
Super write up Maxx thanks.

My folks will be in GZ for a few days then they are going to HK.
My sister is pregnant (heavily pregnant by then :) ) and so doesn't want to be away from her family for long. Her doc says a short trip will be fine.
I am so happy that my folks are going to meet Sunny's, it is going to be a blockbuster of a trip in September !

Thanks Paul, that sounds like something to do for the future. I have a friend in work that is besotted with Thailand and has like a billion suggestions for what to do there, from what you and Maxx and he says its a country that deserves visiting more than once. So we might take you up on that kind offer in the future.

For our honeymoon I think keeping things simple will be best, it will be Sunny's first time out of China so no great adventures and taking things at a slow pace will be the order of the day. I really hope her passport is processed in time, I very much would like her to experience non Chinese culture even a little before before coming here. I imagine it will be a little like my first trip to China for her in terms of culture shock. So she will need time to get used to the environm,ent so going back to china and getting her bearings back before her really big move next February to here is best.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline maxx

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 06:43:07 pm »
Thanks Paul and Irishman.I like Thailand allot.Can't Waite to get back thiere and spend another 10 days.

Offline Kiwi303

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 09:04:49 pm »
Ah, thanks for the Bangkok info guys :D

I've been ruminating on flights there, there are usually cheap specials available in august onwards for flights there from NZ, and Air China Southern runs a Bangkok-Chengdu service according to their website.

My favoured city at the moment for TESOL jobs is ChongQing.

So a 5 day stay package holiday in Bangkok in AUg 2011 and cash the return ticket for 11 months later, then a redeye hop AirChnSth to Chengdu and a short train ride to ChongQing after a nights sleep, in time to get sorted before classes start sept 2011.

Looks nice and cheap flights, with some tourist play time before arriving in China :D and no "Will I make it through customs in time to make the connecting flight" close scheduling hassles. How does that sound guys? Going by websites, I can have a 5 day stay going Via Bangkok, for the cost of a direct NZ-Shanghai-ChongQing flight with no holidays.