Author Topic: How to Choose your First Job Teaching English in China  (Read 6002 times)

Paul Todd

How to Choose your First Job Teaching English in China
« on: July 08, 2010, 04:17:03 am »
For those of you who are seriously considering teaching English in China for the first time, it is imperative that you choose your first school and teaching position very carefully as there are a myriad of traps and pitfalls that await those who are relatively naïve. To help you make the best choice possible, this article will discuss the most salient issues you should consider when reviewing job advertisements and before applying for a position.

The first decision you need to make is what type of school you would like to teach at. Teaching positions in China fall primarily into five broad categories: Primary and secondary schools (both public and private); three-year colleges and four-year universities (public and private) and, finally;  private English language schools (all ages). In the three international cities of Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou, one can also find several large companies that provide their own in-house English language training programs and are in need of experienced foreign teachers as well (although these positions are not nearly as plentiful and are rarely advertised).

The hiring of foreign teachers in China is regulated by the State Administration for Foreign Experts Affairs (SAFEA). In order to enter China legally for the purpose of earning income, one must enter with a work or Z-visa. Only schools licensed by the SAFEA can apply for a letter of invitation and a foreign expert work certificate, which—together with one’s passport—are then submitted to the Chinese embassy or consulate in the teacher’s country of origin for an entry work visa. The work visa is then converted to a one-year multiple entry residency permit within 30 days of arrival.

The SAFEA requirements state that a "foreign educational expert should hold a minimum of a bachelor's degree and more than two years of experience." As the regulation uses the Chinese character for the word "should," instead of “must,” there has been a great deal of "flexible" interpretation across provinces regarding the minimum educational requirement over the years. While a bachelor's degree is generally regarded as the minimum educational requirement to legally teach in China, this currently appears to be the exception instead of the rule.

Irrespective of differences in provincial interpretation or enforcement of the educational requirement, most universities in China insist on a minimum of a bachelor’s degree (and many prefer teachers with a master’s degree), while most private English language schools will take whatever they can get. There are three principal reasons for this. The first is that the proliferation of private schools over the past few years has created an insatiable demand for foreigners that cannot be met by those who are degreed and experienced. In essence, if you are white and a native English speaker from  either North America, the United Kingdom, Australia or New Zealand and you can breath, walk and talk without assistance, you can easily find a job teaching oral English at a private language school in China.

The second reason for this flexibility in enforcement of the education and experience requirements is that the role of the foreign English teacher in China is de-professionalized, regardless of the teacher’s qualifications. That is, irrespective of school type, foreigners are hired almost exclusively to facilitate the students’ listening and speaking skills. The more technical aspects of the English language are delegated to the Chinese English teachers. One could correctly think of the foreign teacher’s role in China as a “Chinese teacher’s assistant.”

There are, of course, exceptions to this rule. Certified foreign teachers, especially in math and science, who have taught in their native countries can find academically and professionally satisfying positions at joint-venture international schools in Beijing, Shanghai, and Guangzhou. Real academicians with advanced degrees in English, literature, linguistics, and related fields will be highly competitive for university positions teaching more than just “oral English” to master’s degree students in foreign language, e.g., literature, intensive reading, writing, etc.

The third and final reason for the preponderance of unqualified foreign teachers in China has to do with the fact that, as a rule, foreign English teachers are not recruited by deliberate choice or preference on the part of either the educational system or the private English language school industry. Public schools and universities are simply meeting a highly contested and bitterly resented national requirement of the Ministry of Education that states all Chinese students of English must be exposed to a native English speaker and, in the latter case, the hiring of white faces with which to adorn the classrooms is considered a necessary and very costly business expense. You won’t find one foreign language department head in China who truly believes that the presence of the foreign teacher is anything but superfluous (at best) and, similarly, you won’t find one Chinese owner of a private English language school who wouldn’t prefer to replace every single one of his foreign teachers with a licensed Chinese teacher if he knew doing so wouldn’t hurt his business, i.e., Chinese parents expect to see foreign faces at private English language schools.

So, what does all of this mean to you as a prospective foreign teacher? What it means is that there are only three broad categories of foreigners who should even be thinking about teaching English in China.

The first comprises those who are relatively young and seeking some adventure before returning home. The second category consists of those who are ready to retire, have already enjoyed meaningful and successful careers back home, have some money saved with no significant family ties or obligations, and are looking to stretch their pensions by spending Western earned money in a country where the cost of living is still relatively low. The third category of appropriate foreign teachers in China are those who have deliberately sought to make a career of teaching English as a foreign language (TEFL): This type of teacher usually holds an advanced degree in education or TEFL and will eventually work as a director of studies (DOS) usually at a joint-venture institution or, at some point, will even open his own school. Western academicians in fields other than English, seeking to spend six months to a year in China on sabbatical, should abandon the idea of teaching oral English in China altogether and should apply to Project 211 universities with International Schools in China where they will be able to teach in their own fields (and where they will be appreciated for doing so as well).

If you have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree (field related or not) and any type of teaching or training experience, you should focus your job search on universities only. By definition, all public (government) universities will be SAFEA licensed and, therefore, conditions there—particularly around how foreigners are treated—tend to be fairly standardized. In addition, check the Internet for a listing of recent Chinese university rankings: As a rule, students at the higher ranking institutions will tend to be more motivated with considerably better English language skills. Related, avoid private universities, as these were essentially established to provide alternatives to students who scored too poorly on the national college admission test (Gao Kao) to be admitted into the public university system.

For those of you who do not have a degree but some college education, focus your job search on lower ranking universities and on second and third tier vocational and 3-year colleges that award certificates and diplomas instead of degrees.

If you only have a high school diploma or equivalent, your choices will be limited to private English language schools and this is where the greatest abuse and exploitation of foreigners occur.

There are four major precautions you can take to increase your chances of working for a legitimate school that treats its teachers relatively well. First, make sure the school is licensed to hire foreign experts by the SAFEA, because only an SAFEA licensed school can sponsor your work visa. Under no circumstances should you ever move to China for the purposes of earning income on anything but a Z-visa, regardless of what anyone tells or promises you. I disagree with this point, it is quite possible to come here on a tourist visa and then skip to Hong Kong and get your Z visa there!

The second precaution you should take is to avoid using recruiters and agencies. Although there are a handful of reputable recruiters out there, you have no way of knowing who they are and, the reality is, you don’t need a recruiter to find and secure a decent job in China.

The third precaution you must take is to insist that you be given the names and e-mail addresses of at least two foreign teachers, preferably one who is no longer employed at the school.

Finally, ask to see recent photos of the same apartment you will be placed in upon arrival (not one “just like it”). The quality of the housing provided by the school is the single strongest predicator of how foreign teachers are regarded and how you will be treated by that school throughout the duration of your contract.

If your reasons for teaching English in China at this time are realistic and based on a clear understanding of the current forces at play, and you choose your first position carefully,  you can in fact have a very rewarding and successful experience here.

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
Re: How to Choose your First Job Teaching English in China
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 11:01:05 am »
Excellent information again Paul. I still have an idea of doing this on the back burner.

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Offline Kiwi303

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 12:25:19 am »
I'm currently investigating TESOL courses, is there a list of SAFEA approved providers worldwide?

I've found courses as cheap as $79 USD for a 30 hour online course, but rather suspect it's a money mill piece of junk not worth the hologrammed paper it's printed on! A more expensive but still suspiciously cheap is the LinguaEdge $149 for a 50 hour online TESOL course. The LinguaEdge school is associated to the London College of Teachers, which has a royal warrant and dates back tot he 1800's. Hardly fly by night, but the price looks too good to be true.

I'm not opposed to spending a decent amount of money on a course, but I'm also somewhat scrooge-ish and would rather avoid spending large sums if a cheaper course is approved by the relevant authorities and covers the subject well.

I'm also an hour and a half out of town on a farm, so online courses or via correspondence suit me best as I'd rather not drive so far several times a week to class and back. Which opens the avenue of international courses rather than just the local bricks and mortar institutes.

I would suspect from the OP that the private schools in the more rural cities would jump on me as a teacher even if my TESOL cert was issued by the corner candy store and paid for with monopoly money, so long as it had "TESOL Certificate" on it to wave under a govt clerks nose to get a Z-visa and work permit to allow the gullible foreign barbarian over to be exploited. But I'd rather have a decent TESOL that would open job offers at decent institutions.

So.. Any suggestions? Does the SAFEA approved TESOL certificates require a certain amount of study hours/college credit values?

Paul Todd

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 02:35:39 am »
Hi,

I did the Diploma in TESOL  which is an on line course from the London Teacher Training Collage. They where very helpful and if I had any questions they were answered swiftly. The do a full range of TESOL/TEFL courses and do placements in China if you wish to follow that route. They are fully accredited and I can recommend them so here's the link,
http://www.teachenglish.co.uk/index.htm

Offline Kiwi303

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 05:05:43 am »
Thanks Paul, that's a 180 study hour course? The site mentions 4 modules of around 45 hours.

How do you find that it set you up for the classroom in China?

The price looks good, less than $700 NZD which does well against a bricks and mortar CELTA at $1300+ NZD here in NZ. The fact it is accredited by a UK body which is itself inspected/accredited by a UK Govt department, rather than the director of the school offering the TESOL cert also being a director of the accreditation body looks good :D 

Paul Todd

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 08:46:00 am »
Your most welcome  :)

It gives you a sound theoretical base as well as a good grounding in the practical side of things. It includes the all important lesson planning which is what you need most! Even if the school gives you all the books and tells you what you have to teach you still have to plan it out and this course sets you up nicely for that. It says it's 180 hours but you can do it in way less time than that.
If all you want is to arrive here with a teaching certificate which will open doors and make life easier in getting your Z visa, then the 60 hour TEFL will do just fine. I wanted something a little more in depth as I planned on teaching long term here.
The course fee includes everything you need and the exam fee's too so it's not a bad price at all. The Certificate itself does not say it was an on line course so it's the same one you would get if you actually went to a collage.
The best advice I could give would be to think about the age group you want to teach, as the approach is totally different. Would you feel happier singing "Old mac Donald had a farm" to a class of 5 year old's or teaching university students. Best of luck.....

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 01:24:08 pm »
Well I could rather sing "Old MacDonald bought the Farm" but the University might slate me to teach Economics instead of English Euphemism Class.  ::)
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Kiwi303

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 04:11:29 am »
Right, some good news :D my first assignment for my Dip.TESOL from LTTC is an "A"  :)

I'd have been flaming disappointed if it wasn't :P I'm doing it by Modules, rather than paying the whole 4 module course in one lump, as that is easier on my budget. But Module 1 was easy, Dead easy :D the only slowdown on things is waiting for my books to arrive as I buy them when cheaply available off online auctions as I'm too far to make browsing the shelves at a library much help.

Now to knock the other 7 assignments off with "A"s as well ;)

Paul Todd

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 06:35:25 am »

Keep up the "A" grades and it will be a distinction on your certificate!!! What was your first essay? Mine was the acquisition of language if I remember rightly! and my personal tutor was Mr. Sebastian Power.  :)

Offline Kiwi303

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 08:44:09 pm »
I chose the "Language is Communication: Discuss" option, Section A choice 4.

Essay lengths of 1,000+ is LOW compared to Uni of Waikato Management criteria of 3,000+ for essay assignments for first year students, up to 5000+ for .3xx level courses, as it is I ended up with a 1,757 words excluding title and bibliography, referencing to 2 management textbooks, a philosophy textbook, as well as the two TESOL books I picked up... I was wondering if it was really long and comprehensive enough so sent it along as a rough draft asking my tutor if it was good enough and did he have any suggestions on required clarifications, re-wording etc...

Email came back, A grade as is :P I hate to think what the 60 hour certs are like if Diplomas are this easy :D I must have high standards, at least when I use spell-checker! my forum posts and typical writing tends to be messy spelling-wise. I have to tidy up when doing formal writing.

I chose that assignment as the simplest subject I could reference large portions of to parts of books I had stashed in boxes in a shipping container down the farm, dating back to my Uni days.

Language as Communication was covered in my Media, Marketing and Business studies sections while at uni :P so that much I just needed to have suitable quotes and bibliographies :D I wrote most of the essay just from past knowledge :D

I have Tim Simmons as my tutor. Seems to be a nice guy, fast turnaround on emails :D

Just waiting on several teaching methodologies books and teachers resource books to arrive before lashing into assignment 2: section B, choice 8. Describe and discuss several teaching methods.

Paul Todd

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 04:05:41 am »
Yes they are quick in getting back to you! I did my diploma here in China and after a fruitless search for any of the books on the reading list I gave up. It was an intersting experience though searching through every bookshop in Baoding! Did I just say interesting, hahaha futile would have been closer. :) In the end I got a couple through the freedown load sites like Hotfile and such. There are a few harder modules to come but none of them are too taxing on the old grey matter, even the final exam is not time limited which was a relief. I did once forget to save a near completed essay before shutting my laptop down  :-[ only did it once!!!! Spell check rules! Keep up those straight A's  ;D