Author Topic: Tutoring & Teaching Tales from China............  (Read 11300 times)

Paul Todd

Tutoring & Teaching Tales from China............
« on: July 13, 2010, 05:10:47 am »
I'm on my 2.5 months holiday break from teaching at the local university at the moment, but before I left one of the Chinese English teachers asked me if I would help out a family member of hers who was holding an enrolment day at their private school in Laishi about an hour's drive outside Baoding. She said it was an afternoon of activities and I would get 600rmb's. Ok I said,not bad money for 4 hours and I would have helped a colleague at work too. This is China so 2 days latter I get a call saying now it was in the morning and not the afternoon. I would be picked up outside my apartment at 8am and be home by 12, Ok I said no problem. Last night I get a call saying I would be picked up at 6 and maybe be home by 2pm was that alright? One thing you learn fast here is that if they think they can get away with it they will take advantage of you. It's good to be flexible for example if the school asks you to do some unpaid activity like run an English corner but there is a limit and now and again it's just good to say no. So I said "That's not going to happen" and 30 minutes latter I get the call to say that 8-12 was just fine.

So this morning at 8 I'm in the back of a car being driven through the countryside to the low rise agricultural town of Laishi. Not sure what I'm expected to do or for that matter where. This is China so most of the time you don't quite understand what's going on around you but you will be told when you need to know,honest!. We arrive outside a large Chinese state middle school at 9am just as all the kids are leaving, lots and lots of proud mums and dads picking up their kids. I'm met by a representative of the school I'm employed by for the morning, a very attractive Chinese girl in her late teens early 20's wearing bright pink sweat pants and top with " Juicy" written in gold lettering across the back. She had my full attention! I'm led to the school gates and told to wait there. Then I'm introduced to a team of her helpers who are dishing out business cards and flyer's to the waiting parents. I dawns on my that I'm there just to attract peoples attention and that's what happens. All those mums want to show off there kids grasp of the English language to me and all there friends,a crowd quickly gathers.

The school rush over I'm led away and around the corner to be seated at a table set up in the street piled high with more cards and flyer's and the team is doing brisk business handing them out to passes by,and I'm the bait. Or as my new best friend in pink said I'm the flower that's going to attract the bee's! Not too many white folks have ever been in this town so the strategy is paying off! I must admit it was an entertaining hour or so. Then I'm taken through a court yard and up some stairs to the Language school. The one and only classroom is full to bursting and I'm passed a microphone and introduce myself to everyone. Then I'm taken to one side and it's on to the break dancing display, well what else did you expect? The music is turn up so loud that it's all distorted and 3 Chinese teens with their caps on backwards are trying their best to spin on their heads, the crowd loves it and are clapping along happily.

Then it's our turn. Miss "Juicy" and I, she did tell me her name but I was distracted and can't remember it, so Miss "Juicy" will do fine! We start by getting the kids to name that animal by the sounds we make, cats meows, dogs barking, lions roaring you get the picture and just as it's starting to be a fun activity we have to stop for the Kung Fu display. That's fine and I get a cup of tea. I then get to do my demo lesson for real. I have her write some single letters on the board one at a time I say them out loud and get the kids to repeat them after me, we build up to simple words. Ten minuets of this and it's time to have some fun so I send miss "Juicy " out to find 3 toilet rolls while I get six youngsters to " volunteer" and come to the front of the class. I explain that they must pair up and one must wrap the other from head to foot with the said toilet paper. I briefly toy with the idea of wrapping miss "Juicy "up.....................just for an example of course, then decide this is not such a good idea. Once done I explain that the kids that are bound up mummy style have to jump up and down while the rest of the class clap and count and try to free themselves. Last one wins. Its chaos's kids shouting out the numbers and clapping ,toilet paper flying about until we have a winner, everyone is happy and that's the lesson over! As an English teacher as long as your students are speaking English it's considered a successful lesson. How you achieve this is up to you and if you've got 30, 6 or 7 year olds you can have some real fun!

I'm ushered out to have my photo taken with the kids and their parents and then with the team that were distributing the flyer's and finally with Miss"Juicy" who tells me they are arranging a visit for the schools students to see the Beijing aquarium and would I please accompany them. She then offers me private Chinese lessons, I give her my wife's phone number and leave. The car is waiting,  I'm presented with a large cake for some reason I don't understand.  I'm payed and I'm home an hour latter.
Just another day as an English teacher! Sure beat's the UK I know that much!

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
Re: Tutoring & Teaching Tales from China............
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 06:39:50 am »
Paul , that is a great insight as to what can happen , just to stop you getting bored , smart move giving your secretarys phone number ha ha , it does save lots of explaining , have a great holiday time , regards Robert and Sujuan [ Yo ].
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 07:20:34 am »
I agree with Rob lucky you gave the secretaries phone number. Oh to be a fly on the wall when the phone rings and the secretary hears "Hi is Paul there?  Tell him its Miss Juicy calling."
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.

Vince G

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 07:25:44 am »
It seems the concept "Miss Juicy" (no photo?) is the same as what happens with actors and rock stars. Cut the ribbon for a new supermarket, etc. This is how I met Mitch Miller (an American musician, singer, conductor and had a TV show) when I was a kid. Come to think of it that was at a school too? So you were the "Star" of the day.

shaun

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 08:30:40 am »
Great story Paul, but next time you go there get a picture of Miss Juicy.  :o :P  :D

ttwjr32

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 09:19:28 am »
Paul,

that was a great story. and as you said just one of the fun times you can have teaching here in China. i was a little curious
as im sure the others are. what chinese lessons will she give you hahahahaha .

when im tutoring we do a lot of unconventional things that are just as much fun for me as it is for them and i must say it
is a great experience from the 30 years of corporate work that i did. just like you said

Scott,

the bejing aquarium is a great half day of fun and i recomend it when you arrive along with the obvious other sites here. but if you can
go to the old hutongs that is by far a real treat with the locals who live there. go to the ones that arent as much for tourists and you 
will experience a wonderful day and meet many people just sitting around eating,talking,playing chess and they all want to talk with you
and feed you fruits. an absolutely wonderful day if you can do it and have the time. far better than the obvious tourist traps.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 02:25:18 pm »
That was a great story Paul.  I would love to hear more of your adventures.

ttwjr32

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 11:19:33 am »
besides some of the wonderful stories i think Paul would also attest to this, the best thing about teaching here is that
kids want to learn and work hard to learn everything they can. its very rewarding to see your efforts to teach them taken
well and they respect you for trying to make their lives better. i find this very positive and makes you go all out for your kids.

they are not there because they have to  its because they want to!!!!!!

Paul Todd

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 06:49:48 am »
Ted is right to mention the point about their willingness to learn,

My first day at University and I walk into a class of 30 students aged 18/19 not too sure what to expect. I've agonised over a lesson plan for hours the previous day so I am well prepared but it does nothing to calm my nerves. Plus there is the head of department sitting in for my 1.5 hour class. I have a strict set of rules to abide by and even in my contract it says that I can only teach what is in the curriculum. Every week I'm given the page numbers of the course book I must teach and the topics for discussion. All very Chinese and as dull as ditch water, if you let it be.
I'm faced with the problem of how to assess my students level of English as it's no good speaking to a class when they don't have a clue what your saying. I need to find this out fast and on an individual basis too if possable, and learning there names might not be a bad idea as well. I know there going to be curious about me as will be the head of the department,so I have come up with a plan that I think will fit the bill. Problem is it will take all of the lesson and I won't be following the guidelines. Start as we mean to go on I say!

I introduce myself and ask the students to write 5 questions they would  like to ask me down in their notebooks. I give them 5 minutes to do this. I'm struck immediately by the fact that I tell them what I require them to do and instantly all there heads go down and they begin work. Not like back home were you would be faced by a bunch of smart arsed teenagers not interested in learning at all.

That done I get the nearest student to come up to the front of the class and write their name on the white board, this has got the students interested as they are all thinking I'm going to go round the class getting them to ask me questions,but that's not going to happen. I explain to the student that he is going to be me, and that he will take 5 questions from the class in turn and do his best to answer them from my perspective.Then the next student will come up until everyone has had a turn. For a right answer they will get a green tick next to their name and for a wrong answer a big fat X. So there is an element of competition involved.

The questions start tamely enough and the answers the same. I encourage them to have fun and soon when someone asks how old I am it's answered by... 87, to howls of laughter and even the head of department is getting involved. I let it drop that I'm married to a Chinese lady and after the look of shock passes the questions get much more interesting and the poor student who's turn it is to play me has to answer very carefully as I'm standing right next to them. This of course just encourages the other students to ask them the trickiest of questions and it all spirals nicely out of control,well almost anyway.!

This lets me learn a huge amount in a short time, who are the outgoing types, what their level of English is, their names and how far I can push things! They also learn a lot about me too. After class the head of department says I've done a good job and doesn't mention the fact that I have not followed the guidelines at all. In fact I think she had a thoroughly enjoyable time even joining in with some questions of her own. It may sound like I was playing around and in truth I was, but for 1.5 hours I had 30 students asking and answering questions on many subjects in English and doing it enthusiastically. It is a fantastic icebreaker and it set the tone for all my following lessons.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 07:04:02 am by Paul Todd »

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 08:19:31 pm »
 :) Paul you are totally High Class , A+ on that first assignment.

Now class.....dismissed  8)
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

ttwjr32

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 12:43:37 am »
sounds interesting Paul  you will have to let us in on what happened unless of course they are
deporting you lol!!!! then fill us in later  hahaha

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 12:45:29 am »
 :o You are a Man that wears many different HATS; Teacher, Inspector, Covort under garment agent....A course set to adventure and soon you will have  material enough to weave a good late night TV drama. I am always amased at the interesting pickle you get plucked into. Keep up the good Yarn as soon I know the directors Hat will beckon you  8) &.. ACTION
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 12:47:28 am by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

ttwjr32

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 01:36:32 am »
you were the mysterious man who has all the money

and i was joking about the deportation

Paul Todd

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 01:50:03 am »
"I was joking about the deportation" I know Ted,

One thing he did say was that the PSB do "inspections" of the schools and if their not up to "standard" then they will not be "allowed" to employ foreign teachers. I think we understand what's being said here! I just underestimated the power they actually have.

Paul Todd

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 05:40:19 am »
I've been looking for a way to make my lessons more interesting and grab my students attention. I've discovered that there is a wealth of free "power point" presentations on the net for English teachers. They do vary in quality but they have a lot of potential. I'm not really a techie sort and I don't even have power point on my lap top but I found "Open Office" it's free and has a facility to import power point and to create your own. It's fantastic and if I can learn to use it in a day then anyone can. I've downloaded some great interactive games too,that should liven up the dullest of lessons.