Author Topic: Tutoring & Teaching Tales from China............  (Read 11063 times)

Paul Todd

Re: Tutoring & Teaching Tales from China............
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2011, 08:48:44 pm »
This morning was a very good morning indeed! My medical check up was clear and I was issued my 'Certificate of Health' ( a little gold book) With that my new 'Foreign Experts Certificate' ( a little blue book) was issued and the nice people at the local PSB gave me a residents permit valid for 1 year. So that is me sorted out until January 2012. No more paperwork until then, I am a happy camper and so is Ming zhi!!! This afternoon I have to supervise a mid term speaking exam for my students and then the Chinese new year holidays begin,6 weeks off. Happy days!

Offline kenny

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2011, 09:11:58 pm »
Congratulations Paul, you do sound very happy.

Enjoy the New Year celebration, you have even more to celebrate now.

Offline Kiwi303

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2011, 10:27:22 pm »
Foreign Experts Certificate = blue book?

From other sources I was under the impression the certification issued to teachers were one of either A) Foreign Teachers Certificate, a little Green book for those without advanced degrees, (i.e. Masters and above), issued to the basic in-class teachers with the white face and a pulse, holding either a BA or a high school diploma, or even just a passport from one of the 7 key anglosphere countries.  B) Foreign Experts Certificate, a Red booklet for those who are truly experts, with MA or Ph.D or a whole lot of years of practical careers experience in their chosen field.

I know of the Green book and the Red book, your Blue book is a new one to me... Any details to share on obtaining the Blue book?

Paul Todd

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2011, 09:01:12 pm »
 http://www.safea.gov.cn/english/
Ha ha,

Yes the Red book is now officially the Blue book. I was totally unaware that there was a green book for teachers too!.
I know they use to issue a green book that was actually your Residents Permit but that has been replaced with a sticker in your passport now.
If the school you intend to work for is not SAFEA  licenced to employ foreigners there is another route that bypasses the whole, Z visa - Medical Check - Foreign Experts Certificate - Residence Permit route. That is to get an "Alien Employment License" issued by the labour ministry as apposed to the Experts cert that is issued by SAFEA. This by all accounts is a laminated card!

Foreign Expert Certificate consists of two types: economy and culture/education.To get a ' Blue Book' this is the official line;-

Foreign Expert Certificate (Economy) is issued to foreign experts employed in industrial or commercial enterprises or institutions, who work in the fields of economy, technology, management and training; while Foreign Expert Certificate (Culture/Education) is for those employed in that of education, media, publication, culture, art, hygiene and sports.
 Application for the Foreign Expert Certificate shall be submitted by the host organization of the foreign expert to the corresponding supervising government departments. The organization intending to employ a foreign expert is allowed to do so only after having observed the related regulations, having met the employment qualifications and having been authorized by the State Foreign Expert Bureau.
Procedures and Requirements
The host organization should apply to the Foreign Affairs Office for the Foreign Expert Certificate after being approved by the corresponding supervising government agency or district/county foreign affairs office.

The following items should be provided: Application of the host organization; Contract of employment, appointment decision of the Board of Directors or letter of appointment; Resume of the foreign expert; Certificates of education and employment qualifications of the expert; Copies of data pages of the expert?ˉs passport and employment visa; Duly-completed Foreign Expert Certificate Application Form; Two 2-inch recent photographs; Letter of Approval by the Municipal Education Commission or related supervising agencies; Health Certificate for experts.

Then it's the Residence Permit....

Foreign experts are teachers who hold advanced degrees and have received an “Expert Certificate” from the National Expert Bureau of Foreign Affairs. The Foreign Expert Resident Permit should be obtained from the teacher’s local Public Security Bureau with the help of the employer. The Foreign Expert Resident Permit requires the following documents.

- Valid passport and visa;
- Originals and copies of “Expert Certificate” issued by the National Expert Bureau of Foreign Affairs Office of the Municipal Government;
- Original “Health Certification” submitted by Beijing Exit & Entry Inspection & Quarantine Bureau;
-Two recent, two-inch, bareheaded, full-faced photos (either black and white or in color);
The official seal of the unit (their employer) on a filled-out “Application Form for Visa, Residence Permit,” along with one recent, two inch, bareheaded, full-faced photo.

This all sounds very official to me and is a long way away from my own experience.
I had to supply ;-
My original degree certificate in Engineering,
A full CV
2 letters of recommendation ( previous employers or friends is OK)
My teaching certificate (any one is good and is why any prospective teach should do a course as without it----No experts cert!!!)
'Proof' that I had been teaching sometime in the past 2 years ( get creative here! Volunteer work in your home country is good!)
Pictures.

The good news is the school will do all this for you and 'help you' to complete the application form correctly. It really is not as hard as it sounds! Every school that has a licence to employ foreigners has a guy/woman who's job it is to get you/school all the paperwork you require. They have contacts in the relevant office's to help them do this.

On a side note yesterday evening was our official end of year dinner for the teaching staff. Great food, good company and lots of toasting! My abiding memory of the evening was the Dean of the University opening bottles of beer with his teeth!

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2011, 08:45:04 am »
Paul , enjoy your well earned holidays , just as a side note my now stepdaughter SunYao [ she is 16+ ] having completed a year  at secondary school here in Melbourne is departing this weekend to return to her International School in Shenyang as she finds our teaching out here poor , what she was taught? this year she learned 3 years ago at her Chinese school , and as she is bloody smart in maths , sciences etc , she wanted to go back to advance , but she will visit us and we will also visit her , and as things stand she will be coming back for uni , and the funny thing is what was being paid to the State education system here per year will more than pay for 2 years of living in , in Shenyang .
 As she has not only my better half's family in Shenyang to visit also her dad and his family will also keep an eye on her and as her visa still has 2plus years to run she can return at any time , regards Sujuan and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info