Author Topic: Question about member on CL official forum  (Read 4231 times)

Offline bugeye

• Nothing flash comes to mind
Question about member on CL official forum
« on: July 16, 2010, 10:12:16 pm »
There is a guy on CL forums who calls himself "China Shark Michael". I admit I find his tone aggressive and arrogant, and if I was a woman, he would give me the creeps I am sure. I do not know if any of you have heard of him or if he himself is on this board. I mean no offense, but am simply being forthright and upfront.

However, he offers a lot of advice on getting teaching jobs in China as well as visa arrangements and general info that appears at least on the surface to be valid.

Is this persons advice generally salient and correct, or do I need to look elsewhere? Obviously, whether I like or do not like someones apparent online personality is not at all connected with the information that they offer.

Does anyone with any knowledge of his posts on the other forum as well as things 'on the ground' in China have an opinion as to whether I should take his advice seriously?

Thanks
During human hunting season, is there a bag limit or is it a catch and release program?

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
Re: Question about member on CL official forum
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 10:36:07 pm »
Yes he is an exmember here and re teaching his posts along with others on this forum can be read and all info can be sifted for pertinant and relevant words , regards Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

shaun

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 11:06:35 pm »
Bravo Robert on your answer.

Vince G

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 11:36:54 pm »
Bugeye, He gives good advice and can probably help if your looking to teach in China. There are others here that can do the same. PM me if you want his email address.

ttwjr32

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 12:01:41 am »
to answer your questions mike could give you some good advice. he just sometimes gets aggressive with
people if he doesnt like what you say but he can give you good advice.

what part of china are you looking to going to? i live in Guangzhou and could answer a lot of questions for
you. were are you from? how is your spoken english?  keep in mind that for teaching your presentation needs
to be clear and procise. any kind of strong accent will disqualify you from teaching here as they do want foriegners
to speak quite clear. a little of an accent is ok but if they have to really concentrate and dont understand every word
clearly that will hurt you in getting a position

ant questions you can pm me

Ted

Offline maxx

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 12:31:36 am »
Bugeye most of what Mikey posts is Mikey own personell opinion.And it is a real twisted opinion.If I was looking for a teaching job in China.I would talk to Paul Todd or Brian MC.They both live in China.And they both teach English in China.With Paul or Brian.Your not going to get the big ego trip.That you will with Mikey.Or the condescending attitude that Mikey has.

As far as taking advice from Mikey about dating a Chinese woman.I wouldn't do that.Mikey has lived in China for a little over a year.And he has struck out with a total of five different ladies.So I'm thinking there is a huge problem there.

Offline bugeye

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 03:28:40 am »
Thanks everyone for the replies, it is much appreciated.

I am looking at the lower end of China as I am used to a subtropical climate, living north of Brisbane but south of the tropics. Guangzhou comes to mind or even a bit further west such as Guilin. I apologise if my understanding of regions in China is limited, my only Asian travel so far in my life has been to Hong Kong in 2000.

My English is excellent, both in grammar and vocabulary and I have very little accent because I was born in Britain but travelled to Australia as a youth. I have no degrees, but I have completed all bar 6 months of a BSc with a distinction average and I am also rather astute at body language and facial gesture reading. 

I have also home schooled my own children for 5 years as well as tutoring some students at University as well as high school students. Mainly in math and physics.

I am not trying to show a lack humility here, simply answer some of your concerns with as much honesty as I can. I actually find it rather uncomfortable revealing personal details about myself under normal circumstances.

If it makes any difference, I am in my late forties.

Thanks once again. Also, feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
During human hunting season, is there a bag limit or is it a catch and release program?

Offline bugeye

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 03:30:08 am »
Mikey has lived in China for a little over a year.And he has struck out with a total of five different ladies.So I'm thinking there is a huge problem there.

Maybe that is where my 'feminine' side detected the creepy vibe from.  ;)

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 04:37:58 am »
Bugeye , welcome to an other Aussie , keep an eye on Jason B as he has just arrived in China for his first trip , he is out of Sydney , but don't hold that against him ha ha , yes there is a lot of area that you would be comfortable in from above HK to the Viet border , regards Robert and Sujuan .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline bugeye

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 06:04:54 am »
Bugeye , welcome to an other Aussie , keep an eye on Jason B as he has just arrived in China for his first trip , he is out of Sydney , but don't hold that against him...

Not quite Mexican, but still south of the border.  8)

I have another question, what is the internet service like in the south of China? What are the connection speeds like and what sort of bandwidth quota's exist?

Thanks guys

ttwjr32

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 01:03:59 am »
you wont have any problems with the internet connections here in guangzhou or guilin as i am here in guangzhou and have lived in guilin

both cities have some really beautiful ladies who want to meet western men

Offline bugeye

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 08:27:40 am »
you wont have any problems with the internet connections here in guangzhou or guilin as i am here in guangzhou and have lived in guilin

both cities have some really beautiful ladies who want to meet western men

Thanks for that. You have settled a big issue for me.

What is the polution like there?

ttwjr32

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 10:02:07 am »
good days and bad days here with the pollution indexes. i personally like Guangzhou because it is a very deverse city
with offerings from all over the world,english is spoken everywere,the locals are more than helpful unlike some smaller
cities. remember there are many forms of helpful. you dont get stared at which doesnt bother me but i know of many people who
really dont like that and have a hard time accepting that (being stared at) . i was just in Boatou for 4 days and i was really stared at
as i walked along. i just smiled back at them and they would shyly look away. i didnt see one other westerner there until day 3 and i
saw 2 blonde hair blue eyes ladies walking and i found myself staring at them  lol!!!

if coming to China to live, dont try and become all chinese as some try and do, but BLEND your culture and behaviours
in with the chinese culture. thats the best formula for success as far as living here full time. the ones who fail miserably
here are the ones that just want to be chinese and its not a good formula. take and utilize the good from both cultures
and you will be a lot happier here. and remember it is usually always loud werever you go whether inside or outside and
at anytime of day.

shaun

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 01:42:11 pm »
Loud?  What are you talking about.  I road a bus from Guangzhou to Yingdu.  It was almost 2 hours long.  The bus was full and the man sitting across the isle and one row behind me yelled on his cell phone to different people for two whole hours.  Once I turned around to see why he was yelling he was facing me and looking right at me.  I gave him a dirty look and put one of my fingers in my ear. He turned and faced the other direction.  Once he turned I think he began to talk louder.

The real kicker for me was that Peggy slept right through it.  When I said something to her about it later she said she never heard it.  You just have to put up with the noise.  It is a reality.

Ah, the memories.  :o ;D

Arnold

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 01:50:31 pm »
They do always seem to be yelling at each other to the western ear . But some member's are used to this already from their Ex's , other's are not . It took me a while and a couple Trip's to realize , they are not all upset/pissed at everything and everybody . That includes my Wife's yel.... ahh .. mean talking . haha