Author Topic: Fruit and veg  (Read 5399 times)

Offline bugeye

• Nothing flash comes to mind
Fruit and veg
« on: July 19, 2010, 08:29:29 am »
I have read (do not recall where) that raw fruit and veg, especially from markets is to be avoided. I am mostly vegetarian and really enjoy fruit and herb smoothies most mornings.

What is true and what is myth regarding the safety of these foods in southern China?
During human hunting season, is there a bag limit or is it a catch and release program?

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
Re: Fruit and veg
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 08:54:02 am »
It is very simple really , think like an Aussie , get a pretty lady on each arm , tell them what you want to buy and off you go , even if you were staying in a hotel , one of the reception girls would find a friend who speaks English to go shopping with you , they always know where to shop for clean produce and generally they wash everything in cool but boiled water, or bottled water then dry prior to eating , regards Robert and Sujuan.
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

ttwjr32

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 08:57:10 am »
after living here for a year full time this time around you will find the freshest fruits and vegetables at the
local vegetable markets. just wash them thoroughly when you get them home.

we stay away from the single sellers on the streets as those arent usually that good or fresh

just find a local farmers vegetable market by were your staying and you will be fine.
and dont forget a little haggling there.

also watch out for the walnut sellers on the street for some reason there will be a time were you
cannot open without a sledge hammer not sure were they get those bad crops from.

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 09:09:15 am »
Have to agree with all these suggestions.  Wendy and I went and got some fruit (bananas, pineapple and grapes) just to have something in the hotel room.  The bananas are the same as anywhere come in their own protective jacket (just watch the skin when you buy) same with pineapple.  The grapes Wendy washes in hot water that has boiled in the kettle in the room.  Then she peels them and feeds them to me but I degress.  Most of the supermarkets I have seen seem to have pretty good produce.  Just shop around.  Then again people no matter where they are do not intentionally eat bad food.
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.

shaun

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 01:13:25 pm »
After my second trip I haven't had a problem yet with fruits and vegetables.   Wash, Wash, Wash.   Peggy is so clean conscious I really didn't have to worry much.  From my limited experience the woman will make sure everything you get is safe and healthy.

Offline Londoner

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 01:36:15 pm »
Makes you wonder whether anything is safe to eat or drink in China!!

BEIJING - China's State Council, or Cabinet, has ordered authorities to intensify their crackdown on the sale and use of illegal cooking oil in restaurants, according to a circular made public Monday.

The State Council ordered central government departments and local governments to carry out special campaigns to eradicate "gutter oil," which posed "serious food safety risk" to the public, said the circular issued by the General Office of the State Council.

Related readings:
China intensifies crackdown on illegal cooking oil Illegal cooking oil made from kitchen waste
"Gutter oil" is usually made from discarded kitchen waste that has been refined and was once reportedly commonly used by small restaurants.

Although it looks clean, it actually contains toxic substances, including "aflatoxin," which can cause cancer.

The campaign would target places where "gutter oil" was produced.

It would also focus on small restaurants, construction sites and school canteens.

Catering establishments which use the illegal oil could face punishments ranging from suspension of operations to revocation of their business licenses.

The food safety commission under the State Council would analyze the results of the campaign from September to October this year to see whether it had been effective, according to the circular.

As a preventive measure, the State Council also called for reinforced efforts to create standardized collection of kitchen waste.

Offline bugeye

• Nothing flash comes to mind
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 07:44:21 pm »
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Shaun: Sadly, I do not have a gf waiting for me in China.

RobertB: I am not sure how I would go about that, as I am not as suave and debonair as you.  ;) I will however talk to the receptionists where I stay.

ttwjr32: Thanks for the sage advice on the walnuts. I would likely have fallen for that as I like walnuts.

JasonB: I hear you are from south of the QLD border. That's ok, I'll forgive you  ;) . And thanks for the mental images of your 'grape' times  ::)

Londoner: Thanks for scaring me.

During human hunting season, is there a bag limit or is it a catch and release program?

ttwjr32

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 07:59:34 pm »
that is one of the reasons i wont eat from the roadside vendors that you see so many people eating at.
a vast majority of them use this oil along with the small bread and cake shops scattered around the city.
it is very cost effective for them to use this oil.

living in China is full of some interesting things. like the package milk products. they recently found out that
all the contaminated stuff was not destroyed but stored and has been re sold by the companies??? just never
ceases to amaze me what they do here for the almighty rmb.

i will just drink the pastuerized milk here sold in supermarkets. 9.80 rmb for a quart of it. little expensive for
China but at least safe

Paul Todd

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 10:13:56 pm »
Bugeye,

I don't think it will take too long to find some one to help you do your shopping! A helpless white guy in a Chinese supermarket you'll have to beat them back with a stick! I usually go shopping with my wife, you know the ritual of pushing the shopping cart round while she fill it up. No one talks to me but if I'm in there alone,completely different story. It's all smiles and everyone wants to say hello. Like every one has said wash your veggies and your be fine. The standard of fresh products here is very good, well where I live it is and the range is huge.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 11:54:27 pm »

also watch out for the walnut sellers on the street for some reason there will be a time were you
cannot open without a sledge hammer not sure were they get those bad crops from.

Ted i do not know wher your coming from here.  Even my wife has no trouble getting to grips with my 'walnuts'.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

ttwjr32

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 09:19:19 am »
was talking about walnuts not peanuts  lol!!!!

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 09:23:47 pm »
was talking about walnuts not peanuts  lol!!!!

Ted...
Has Youyoun been telling you family secrets..hahahaha ;D ;D

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 01:43:07 pm »
We have to wash all the veggies and fruit in China, but what i cannot get my head around i that we wash them with undrinkable water and suddenly they are fine to eat??
Anyone care to explain that to me?
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 08:49:17 pm »
We have to wash all the veggies and fruit in China, but what i cannot get my head around i that we wash them with undrinkable water and suddenly they are fine to eat??
Anyone cfare to explain that to me?
Irishman,

Robert says to use boiled water to wash the fruits and vegetables off. If you are using plain tap water then you may be taking a chance. If you have been using plain tap water there and not had any problem then thank your lucky stars. I would boil the water first. After it cools off then use it for washing any fruits and vegetables.

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

shaun

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 10:58:15 pm »
I don't know if Peggy washed the fruit in tap water or boiled water.  There were a few times my last trip I would forget when brushing my teeth not to use the tap water and would rinse my mouth out.  Never got sick.

My spelling was way off.  Gee!!!! Must have been talking with Peggy.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 07:53:43 pm by shaun »