Author Topic: Irish guys  (Read 3435 times)

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
Irish guys
« on: July 29, 2010, 11:01:15 AM »
I'm marrying my qin ai de on September 15th, here is the process as it unfurls for an Irish guy marrying in China

Here are the steps so far, I'll update this post as each step is taken.

A) Certificate Du Coutume

To get married in China you just need need to get a "Certificat De Coutume" from the Department of Foreign Affairs (as well as your Chinese visa of course).

This is a four step process :-

1) Download and fill in the relevant forms from http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=274 (read the notes carefully, I wasn't married before so needed to fill in MP1 and MP2A, if you are divorced or a widower you may need to fill out other ones also)

2) MP2A is a statutory declaration that you are currently single and can marry, you need to sign this in front of a "commissioner of oaths", all solicitors are commissioners of oaths. There is a standard charge of €10 though some don't bother. The one I went to on O'Connell Street in Dublin did mine for free and said if I had any problems with immigration to look him up as he had experience in the field. So he did it a a loss leader, nice guy.

3) Once you have the statutory declaration filled out and witnessed and the other forms completed, bring them with you to the Dept Of Foreign Affairs at 80 St. Stephen's Green in Dublin city centre. Take a ticket at the door and expect a long wait, they process applications at a glacial speed. There are two types of certificate they can give you - one with a big green government seal and one with just a stamp. The one without the seal is 20 euro (payable by cheque or postal order) and with the seal is 40 euro. The lady there told me that they have had people in the past come back for another one as the embassy refused the one without the big green official seal - so ask for it.

The actual cert is very basic looking and I can easily see why they wouldn't accept it as it looks very amateur but the seal gives  it a slightly better air of authenticity.
You can ONLY apply for your Certificate Du Coutume 4-6 months in advance of your wedding date, not longer, not shorter. They send it out two months before the wedding date. They told me this in advance and sure enough it arrived almost exactly two calendar months from the wedding day.
[attachimg=2]

4) Once you have your Certificate Du Coutume you need to bring it to the visa section of the Chinese Embassy in Dublin. They give you a forum to fill out explaining that you need it notarised for marriage in China - don't worry, they have seen it all before and they were helpful telling me what to fill in on that. The cost is €20 and they give you a receipt and tell you to call back the same day next week to collect - BOI or AIB bank draft or Post Office postal order payment only, cash not accepted, payable on collection.
When you collect it you will see that there is a Chinese certificate stuck to the back with an Irish name in the middle of it. I was freaked out by this thinking they put the wrong name on it and I would have to get a new certificate, but actually its the name of someone in the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs so don't sweat it!
[attach=1]

To be continued.........
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 02:24:54 PM by Irishman »
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
Re: Irish guys
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 12:39:08 AM »
B) Getting Married

This is how it works in Wuhan, I imagine its pretty much along the same lines in most parts.

1) You need to get a picture of you both together against a red background, NOT white. There are loads of places to do this, your future wife will find one quickly. It cost about 40 RMB to get her face done up , the pictures taken, photo-shopped to take out HER blemishes!, then printed out.

2) You don't need to make an appointment in the marriage place, just turn up with your notified Certificate Du Coutume as in the post above.

3) They will ask you to get an authorized translation (of the Certificate Du Coutume ), even though Sunny works as a translator they wouldn't accept her translation, they told the official place to go to that does the translation. My advice is to call the marriage place in advance and find out whether they will translate the certificate there (some of the guys have gotten married in towns that have had their own translation services in house) or if not, where the authorized translation place is so you can get this done in advance as it may take some time to do if they are busy. It cost about 180 RMB for the translation if I remember correctly

4) They will ask you then to go to he bank to pay 9 RMB for the Red books (its a kinda marriage passport is the best way to describe it) , in Wuhan they also wanted 170 RMB as a "storage fee" to keep our records for 80 years on file. Apparently Chinese couples don't have to pay this and other guys haven't mentioned it before so maybe the "storage fee" is a Wuhan thing only..make sure you bring a couple of hundred RMB with you just in case is my recommendation.

5) Then you need to fill in the same form each, its all in Chinese but of course your wife will tell you what to  fill in where.

6) Once the forms are submitted (including the original Certificate Du Coutume) and the bank receipts and photos are handed over they will copy all forms and pictures and put you both on file on their computer system then print out your red books and give them to you.

Congratulations you are now married!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 12:41:04 AM by Irishman »
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.