Author Topic: yum yum foods from china  (Read 11369 times)

ttwjr32

yum yum foods from china
« on: August 06, 2010, 09:28:31 pm »
here is some exotic foods

Offline Ricky

Re: yum yum foods from china
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 07:25:56 am »
now, on my trips to china, I have definitly widened my horizon as to what I have consumed.  However, I cannot fathom eatting anything from those pictures.  Well, maybe the bugs.  But yeah, big no to the rest.

Vince G

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 07:35:25 am »
Appetizing....  blaaaaaa

Arnold

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 06:30:58 pm »
I'll skip Dinner today !!! :o
Fresh caught Rat's for sale ! Oh , I don't know what I would do .. walking into a shop like this ? I would be in shock and one
could Rob me blind and I would not feel it .  :-\

ttwjr32

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 06:50:27 pm »
i wouldnt eat any of this either just saw the pics on a site and thought i would post them here for all to see.

before i eat anything here i ask  'what is it ''  as i am not into even trying some things at all here

shaun

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 07:38:54 pm »
For you newbies, here is the drill.  You ask your woman, "What is it?"  They will say, "I do not know in English."  That is warning number 1.  Then they will say, "But it is good for you."  Warning number 2. 

Now if you have made it past the first two warnings and you are still curious and asking but not getting and answer, look around you at your table, it no one else is eating it and they are all looking at you?  Remember you have been warned twice already.  They are all waiting to see your reaction to eating something they will not eat and if you knew what it was you wouldn't either.  You have just achieved warning number 3.

Then suddenly something will rise up in you and it says, "I'll be a man here and show my woman I can do it, I fear nothing."  I only have three simple words for you.  They are resist the urge.  You will find that once you have ate what ever it is that it does not taste like chicken, it does not have the texture of chicken, and if it were alive it would not even sound like a chicken.  You have passed warning number 4 and the woman two tables over has passed out because she really thinks you are going to eat it.

Once you have ate it you will be disappointed with the taste and texture.  As everyone ELSE at the table is laughing you will find that suddenly one person has found in the deep dark recesses of their memory the English name of what you just ate.

If you passed all of the warning and you ate it anyway don't worry, you were not the first person to do this and you will not be the last person either.  Looking at the philosophically, you will have a great story for years to come.

Mind came just two months ago.  I was in Guangzhou, our Ambassador had bailed on me...  He used some flimsy excuse like wanting to go be with his wife in Beijing so here I was in a restaurant with two beautiful women.  One on either side.  Yes one of them was Peggy and the other was a very good friend of hers.

Ted I am sure you know the restaurant... it is surrounded by water and some of the tables are boats in the water.  There are also statues of fish made of color sepia I think with lights inside them.  Quite beautiful.  I wanted to eat in a boat but the women didn't because it was to hot outside.

So the other woman, Wendy, was ordering the food and asked me if I would like to try this food.  I forgot the warnings and said sure.  Honestly it looked like a game hen.  Well it wasn't.  It was a pigeon.  I was doing OK, it didn't taste bad,  it was kind of good but I was struggling with what it was.  Then Peggy points at a part of the bird and says to me, don't eat that part.  I ask why?  She said I do not know the American word.  Then I made the worst mistake I could possibly make.  I handed her the pocket translator.  She typed in the word and it was rectum.  That wasn't so bad but as I looked at it, it was a little round circle with little burnt hairs all around it.  Then I remembered plucking little burnt hairs on another part.  Well that was it.  I was finished for the night.

Peggy was quite amused but she didn't eat a bite of it.  Wendy however polished the rest of it off. Including the head.  yech.

Two months have passed and now I can laugh about it.  My story isn't bad and I know there are worse out there.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 07:40:47 pm by shaun »

Paul Todd

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 09:24:36 pm »
Hahaha that's exactly how it happens Shaun! Everyone looking at you around the table is a big giveaway. If it does not look like anything I can recognise I will usually try it just to be a good sport and break the ice with fellow dinners, but I do have some memories that I'd rather not have!

shaun

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 10:03:23 pm »
Paul, you need to share some.  We all need good stories.

ttwjr32

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 06:00:57 am »
if you cant tell me what it is then im not eating it and i am not a good sport  hahahahaha
if they dont like it then im sure they will get over it in time. my personal choices are my personal
choices and thats the rest of the story  hahahhaah

i have been adventurous at times but know more just eat what i like nothing more  hahaha

shaun

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 07:08:03 am »
Yes Ted I agree but one must look beyond dumplings.  ;D  Hehe.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 07:10:20 am by shaun »

shaun

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 10:41:39 am »
Oh!  I forgot to include noodles.  ;D  You got me Mike.

I might try a couple in the photos on a dare or just to say I've done it but you can count out the rats, dogs, and cats.  Grasshoppers, ants, worms I might give it a go.

I ate soup from the most horrible looking mushroom you have ever seen.  I'll try to find a picture later.  It is black and brown.  When you purchase it is as hard as tree bark.  Once it is cooked in a soup it is still that hard.  The stuff I ate was cooked in pork broth with onions and a few other greens.  It was not bad.  I tried to bite into the mushroom itself but there was no way.

ttwjr32

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 11:39:29 am »
sorry some things i will eat some not and some i will not even try doesnt matter if it upsets them hahah

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 12:25:21 pm »
Shaun,

You probably mean 灵芝 (Lingzhi).  That's a medicinal mushroom...it's supposed to help purge your system of toxins, but the soup tastes terrible.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 03:20:21 pm »
I can purge my body of toxins without the help of mushrooms. You just lean over a little, lift a butt cheek and push out the toxic gas! Just make sure you don't breathe for a little bit.  ;D

With a dietary change like this I will certainly have this problem. I experienced it in Singapore. I was alone in an elevator in a store. I felt the urge for a little fluff and released the gas. It was the most horrific smell I could remember having. As the doors opened I just put my head down and left for there was a crowd waiting to enter. I do not have a clue as what they were all saying to me, but the tone with which it was said was not nice. I just kept walking.  ::)

I am laughing my butt off right now recanting this story, but it is one of the fears I have about meeting my lady. I just hope that she is good humored about this. If we are alone I will be in trouble, but in a crowd I could just blame it on someone else.  ;)

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

ttwjr32

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 06:40:29 pm »
to much info for us dave lol!!1