Author Topic: yum yum foods from china  (Read 11394 times)

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
Re: yum yum foods from china
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 11:09:10 am »
I can't wait to get Peggy here and have her try cow tongue, tripe, pickled pigs feet, ox tail, of course this may be nothing to her.  :(

When I was in Shenzhen at Seaworld, the restaurant on the boat had servers circulating offering different dishes. It was there that I first tried cow tongue. I took a lick at tasting it but I found the meat  cheeky to the pallet. The following 2 pictures is from Meizhou.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 03:07:03 pm by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline shaun

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 06:37:20 pm »
Arnold, I have the same feeling.  Menudo isn't bad but I imagine she will pass.   I am thinking on my next trip I'll take a jar of pickled pigs feet.  Course she'll probably like it.   Really many of these meats like tongue is a texture thing.  There are certain texture that I just do not like.

Ron, thats funny.  As it says in the good book "the tongue has the power of life and death."  :o  Not sure what it means to this conversation but thought I'd add it.

Offline Kiwi303

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2011, 02:17:55 am »
I wonder what would happen feeding you guys Huhu grubs?

Offline shaun

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2011, 05:18:24 am »
Hmmm.....    I'll bite!  ::)   I'd feel like a Huhu bird?    Your biggest worry would be if I flew away and I took a Huhu dump.  ;D

April 2010 when I was in China for the first time I ate some sort of worm.  I was surrounded by two lovely Chinese ladies, one of them being Peggy of course, and one well...  she was female and lets leave it at that.   They ordered several dishes there and when I dipped into the one that looked like worms I asked Peggy what it was and she looked at the other female whose English was quite good.  She told me that she didn't remember the English word for it.  All three of them sat there and watched me.  I did what any normal red blooded America man would do when facing beautiful women.  I sucked it up and ate them.  They all giggled and asked me if I liked it to which I replied by shoving more into my face.  They were white live worms with some kind of sauce on them and the taste was absolutely disgusting but I ate them with a smile on my face.  I did notice that Peggy didn't eat any of them.    Hmmmmm...........

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2011, 06:45:54 pm »
Shaun/Kiwi

I am not exactly sure what a " Huhu" grub is....maybe it is similar to the Wichetty grub which is a prized Aussie delicacy.....

Having also suffered numerous "food" experiments delivered by my new Chinese family, I will insist that Ming has a good feed of Wichetty grubs when she finally gets to Perth !!!

If she throws up...maybe I will get my face back  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 06:47:31 pm by David E »

Offline Buzz

• XiuRu Zhang
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2011, 06:50:04 pm »
First visit, deer penis with coagulated blood;  second trip, raw snails;   third trip, silk worm cocoons.   all ate, but only once. 

Offline shaun

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2011, 07:38:24 pm »
David neither did I.  Before commenting about it I looked it up on Wikipedia and the picture of the Huhu worm looks like the worm in your picture.

Offline Kiwi303

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2011, 01:39:08 am »
Huhu and Witchetty grubs are broadly similar, both being the tree dwelling, wood eating larvae of an insect. However the Huhu grub is a lot smaller than the one shown in Shauns picture, and is the larvae of a beetle, not a moth.

The beetles themselves are bloody annoying, and have a strong bite with their pincers. A bit like an airborne stag beetle.

Huhu grubs taste similar to peanut butter, a nice nutty flavour :P