Author Topic: Zhongshan at Night  (Read 5536 times)

Offline Lain

Zhongshan at Night
« on: August 13, 2010, 08:04:19 pm »
While wandering around the city for about 10 hours on my own...Yes I got lost, so what.....I finally found the river that my hotel was located on. Sadly its one of them in the center of the picture about 10 miles down this road....so I snapped a picture just in case I never made it back..kind of a nice shot really.

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
Re: Zhongshan at Night
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 08:12:51 pm »
Chinese cities are so beautiful at night.  Thanks, now I'm missing Zhongshan again.   :'(
...as irresistible as chocolate

ttwjr32

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 09:19:13 pm »
lain,

give willy a call when you get lost he can help you .  so was this the last time you were here.

Offline David S

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 12:47:44 pm »
That's what I like about this group, the sense of adventure.  To get lost for 10 hours in a strange city half way around the world and still be collected and cool and calm and then see something and say. HEY I need to take a picture of this.  What a sense of adventure.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 12:56:11 am »
Tell me lain. How many foreigners did you meet on your 10 hour trip.  I can go for months without ever seeing on in Zhongshan except when the Ambassador vists.

Depending on which way you walked then I am close to the river a Quijiang Bridge.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Lain

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 07:59:03 pm »
That's what I like about this group, the sense of adventure.  To get lost for 10 hours in a strange city half way around the world and still be collected and cool and calm and then see something and say. HEY I need to take a picture of this.  What a sense of adventure.

Adventurous on top of some ignorant maybe..??  ???

To be honest this was after about a week of being in the city, and I can say without any doubt that the entire time I was there, not even once did I feel that my safety was an issue. I am not a huge person by American standards, only 5'5" and a 145 pounds....However I do have a fairly healthy "muscular" build and by comparison to the vast majority of Chinese men.....I must look like a body builder. It also helps to be adventurous when you have 7 years of Wushu (martial arts) training under your belt and your not afraid to "mix it up" in order to see and experience the best of a city...the part that the tourists all miss out on.......I will admit that my feet hurt like heck...it was raining all day and my feet were soaked!

Here is another pic, you can see the backside of me...and Jiong Li, this is walking st shopping area. She LOVES to shop, but prices are so cheap I could do this every weekend so long as she models the outfits...I can hardly say no.. :P

The other one is Qijiang Park not far from my hotel, and on the river banks....beautiful little area and the building is a modern art museum. Never got a chance to go inside, but it looked nice and there was a wedding going on, made for a nice day.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 08:05:52 pm by Lain »

Offline Lain

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 08:13:57 pm »
Tell me lain. How many foreigners did you meet on your 10 hour trip.  I can go for months without ever seeing on in Zhongshan except when the Ambassador vists.

Depending on which way you walked then I am close to the river a Quijiang Bridge.

Willy

Honestly, I did not see another foreigner during my entire trip...well at least a "white man", but I thing a few business men at my hotel were from Korea ? I am fairly good at telling Asians apart, and they were certainly NOT Chinese. To be honest I like the idea that when I go to live in Xiaolan soon that I might be the only westerner there....then I will always know who they are talking about in a conversation where the only word I might be able to understand is Laowai

ttwjr32

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 05:35:21 am »
you might be right on this but of course Willy and i can come over and get them all talking  hahahaha

it will look like  grandpa,son,grandson  lol!!!!

Arnold

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 01:03:41 pm »
it will look like  grandpa,son,grandson  lol!!!!

Now we definately want a Photo of that Ted !!!!

Lain , after my Wife read about your 10 hour walking Tour .. first thing she said was why didn't he get a Taxi ? You get to see the City better on Foot , I told her .

Offline Lain

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 10:23:09 pm »

Lain , after my Wife read about your 10 hour walking Tour .. first thing she said was why didn't he get a Taxi ? You get to see the City better on Foot , I told her .

Yes, you are right. You only get to see the good stuff when you take it slow and turn your head to the sides and stop every now and then. I really wanted to bring my bike on my trip there as I am a hard core bike rider...but the extra cost for airfare to bring it was excessive. However the good news is that when I move there...its coming with along with a super strong titanium cable lock...the bike runs more than most Chinese will earn in a year and I am not too keen on having it stolen. Here is a pic of below against my truck...now sold.

The bike is dual suspension, hydro brakes like a car has, and only weighs 24 pounds...made of the "exotic" metals group from aircraft grade aluminum, titanium, beryllium, and carbon fiber....and has 27 speeds. Yes its very sweet and fast....made for mountain bike racing and off road.

Vince G

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 11:27:12 pm »
I had a less expensive model, sold it a couple of years ago. 18 speed

Arnold

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 01:43:34 am »
Here I thought my Brother was crazy buying a $4,000 mountain Bike . He sleeps with it of course , you steal "IT" you must take him too . haha

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 04:17:36 am »
Ah, Zhongshan ^^
Thanks for the photos, Lain, I can remember also about there when I was in that city ^^
In fact, I really like it when it is night.
Did you see the famous bridge who is "lighted" on, by night?

I remember about a path, in the city, where man can see some buildings which are (for most of it), white color, and the design is not really chinese one.
I will try to upload some photos here if I find some :)

by the way.
If you get lost, one of the best advices is to look for some buildings close to your hotel, take some photos, then you can easily remember where you are and where you came from ^^
(but I'm pretty sure you already know it ^^)

- Let's Rock -

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 09:45:21 pm »
What crazy prices for a bike.  I used to ride 100- 120 miles a day on a bike. Not every day but maybe every day for a week or two.  That is why I had no hair on my legs before coming to china.

I can buy a new mountain bike here for 300 rmb.  If I wanted a racing model it will set me back a staggering 600 rmb.

Now talking of hair. After 30 years the hair on my legs is going back.  I am getting more of a stubble every morning and i noticed the hair everywhere is gettingthicker.  Could there be something in teh water here? 

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

ttwjr32

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 12:38:27 am »
the diet  haha