Author Topic: An Irishmans adventures in China - the best one!  (Read 16091 times)

Offline Jan

• QQ 1507672319
Re: An Irishmans adventures in China - the best one!
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2010, 10:40:10 am »
Hehe its funny reading this story. Or should I rather say it is nice to read this. Thank you for sharing.

And congrats!

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2010, 04:01:02 am »
Wednesday 15th September - Marriage day!

We had decided to get married as early as possible to get every thing done during the dya and hopefully on the bus to Sunny's hometown , Gongan.
Well Sunny's father was staying in a room in the hotel a couple of doors down and started banging on the door at around 7:20 AM with orders to get up. Then Sunny's alarm started ringing having been set for around then anyhow....
We got up, cleaned up and went to a noodle place for breakfast with her father. Fresh cooked noodles for breakfast, champion start to the day!

We then got a bus to the area the marriage office was in and papers in hand we crossed the deadly road and safely made it across with only one or two brushes with death so relatively uneventful by Wuhan standards.
We had been the day before and were pretty confidant that we had all we needed. Sunny even had bought some candies to "spread the happiness" as she put it to sweeten the deal. However..and there always is a however here..it seems that the declaration of availability to marriage had to be translated into Chines..something i had read about before and I had implored the Chinese embassy to certify a translation Sunny had done but they refused... So apparently the marriage office only had one place in Wuhan that was eligible to do the translations.... So we went of there by taxi.
Wuhan is chronically congested and has no proper public transport apart from fume belching single decker buses for the most part - there simply is not enough public transport. So taxis are quite difficult to flag down. It must have taken us about 30 minutes in super hot sweltering conditions to flag one down.

Eventually we got to the translation place and they translated the document and we were on our way back again. By now I was wondering what would be the next obstacle. However when we got back it was all fine, our documentation was fine. Only minor hiccup was the printer wasn't working so they couldn't print out our red books until the red book person got a colleague with a working printer to do it (yes, i had "jebus h" moment).
I had bought a camcorder to record the who affair but alas Sunny's father didn't seem to realise that the picture in the screen was what was recorded - he could see us so the camcorder must i think! - end result was that was mostly a waste of time!

We went into a separate room after we got our red books tightly holding hands and her father took a couple of snaps, one of which is below:-

[attachimg=1]

After we got married t was time to head off to Gongan to get Sunny's passport sorted out (its a rural area and there is quite a song and dance for a girl to get a passport due to people trafficking apparently, which is why Sunny's father was with us to help with the application process, more on that tomorrow..that was one looooong tiring day!).
Sunny's father when ahead to buy the tickets in the bus station and we would met him there after checking out.
Of course that turned into chaos! We ran out of time, checkout took ages as it always does. I look forward to the day I can participate in the planning discussion in Chinese - checkout always take about 10 -15 minutes, not the one or two Sunny seemed to think it would..
Anyhow, cue running for taxis , multiple calls, texts etc from her father..and we got to the bus station. Her father had spoken to the bus driver and asked him to wait for us so as soon as they saw us there was much rushing to get going.

Loved up we headed for Gonan.

Sunny had told me several times before that it was a small little town so I had this mental image of a few houses and chicken runing around with the odd shop. But ..of course this was totally wrong. Gonan is not a town by western standards it a city. I'd estimate its population at around 100,000 minimum judging by the construction and shopping areas.

Bridge over stream in Gognan

[attachimg=2]

This is one very strange city. It is a city of utter extremes. Let me explain.
Car owners seem to be three types 1) Taxi drivers, 2) Construction/business 3) Rich, there is nothing else.
Nearly every single private car on the road seemed to be spanking new and gleaming, there was no beat up old heaps, no 5-10 year old clunkers,  all mainly Japanese Toyota and Honda big name brands.
The rest of the populace uses motorbikes, or the horse and cart.
It is a very weird mixture. Clearly, for some, nothing has changed in centuries and for other, its the present day.
This is reflected in the shopping areas also, there is one street with really high end spotless modern shops..then there is the rest. Which are squalid, filthy and strewn with rubbish. The extremely hot temperatures (this place seems to be several degrees hotter than Wuhan, maybe because there is less pollution so the sun is stronger?) don't help matters.

Once we arrived we got checked into a hotel which was pretty cheap - 110 RMB per night for a big room with a nice king bed and internet. The floor had a carpet which was better walked on in shoes but the aircon worked and it was in a great location so no real complaints overall.
Sunny's father went of to stay in another hotel as apparently this one was "too expensive" (since I was paying, the price didn't matter so I assume it was something else, I didn't press it with Sunny)
Gongan may be Sunny's hometown but she is originally from a rural area about an hour away which is why we stayed in the hotel whilst we got the passport stuff sorted, but i digress.

Looking back towards the town centre- yes that massive aerial is plunk in the middle of it. It is extremely hot ans sunny here, the local girls use special uv umbrellas that have a strange glow in the sunlight, but are no good in the rain. They are very pretty though!
[attachimg=3]

Once we were checked into the hotel and freshened up we went to meet up with Sunny's father again and one of her cousins who is married to a Gongan local. We went to their apartment for a short chat and some cool tea and then went to a local restaurant to eat. The food was delicious and it was a pleasant evening with many ganbei's with the husband. I found it quite it quite amusing that the ladies declared that by the time we were on our third 0.5 litre bottle (between us!!) of 2.8% strength beer that we had had enough and were not allowed any more beer!! How is a guy supposed to maintain his waistline? - it took a lot of hard drinking to get it to its current magnificent girth you know.!

They are both factory workers and it was super generous of them to entertain us like this.They had a little kid that was full of energy and curiosity as kids that age are (6 I think) that was adorable and Sunny had great fun trying t get him to say hello uncle to me in Chinese :)
At the end of the evening Sunny gave him a couple of hundred RMB to give to his mother later (it would have covered the meal with a little left over to show our appreciation).

We then headed back to the hotel to settle in for the night. A long and exciting day.

Little did I realise how long the next day would be...

Next day is passport day..stay tuned..that was...different!
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2010, 06:20:52 am »
Great story. I am looking forward to the next installment!

ttwjr32

« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2010, 07:31:05 am »
Sounds great now it would be nice to know what time to be at the church Friday???
Or maybe i dont know for obvious reasons >:(

Paul Todd

« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2010, 09:48:06 pm »
Oh I have a feeling I know whats coming up in the next instalment. Dealing with Chinese bureaucracy can certainly be time consuming!!!!! ::)
Mike....."Gambai" literally means bottoms up, saying this to a recently married man without a glass in his hand could be taken the wrong way ;D  errr that didn't come out the way I meant to say it either ??? Ted,your wife will tell you on Friday morning, when she thinks you need to know ;D Great update Irish keep them coming! ;)

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2010, 10:09:41 pm »
Another popular saying (at least in Guangdong) is Yam Seng (cantonese)... It means to drink to your success... very commonly heard at weddings by the way.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

ttwjr32

« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2010, 12:30:33 am »
Paul  she doesnt know either what time it is??  do you know what time??

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2010, 05:06:16 am »
Irishman,  Can you postpone the wedding ceremony until next week as I think I will be too nackered to travel to GZ on Thursday after arriving back from UK late on Wednesday night.  It will be good for Anglo Irish relations.

But then again probably a killer for Chino-Irish relationships!!!!!

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2010, 07:01:50 am »
Thursday 16th - Passport day

Sunny's father had come to Wuhan with us to mainly assist with the passport process in Gongan as it is an arduous process and apparently prohibitively expensive normally (equivalent of several hundred euro so Sunny told me but I'm not so sure, read on).

In a nutshell she need to bring a letter from her boss stating that she was in a full time job, of good character and was full time there. She also had to bring her Hokou and her colleague degree and her various other certification in originals.

So we got up early and got a bus from Gongan to Yangjiachang where the head police station was for the area.
The bus journey there was pretty amazing, all along the roadside small farmers had rice, soybeans, sesame spread out to dry in the hot sun. On the motorway one whole lane was taken up with this! As the roads got narrower and narrower they just spread it out over the whole road and the cars and trucks just drive over it!, rubber and rice, a tasty mixture I am sure. Alongside the road every house seemed to have cotton laid out in front of it to dry also.
Back home in agricultural areas the houses are far apart with fields in between but no here. All the houses were detached ramshackle affairs but all were together. Every land owner seemed to have a small narrow long plot of land behind the house, or that's how it seemed to me. So many houses and no shops. Rural life is different here. The road was extremely narrow and one way. The bigger the vehicle seemed to determine right of way. Potholes were almost deep enough to stand in and I imagine in rain this would be tricky indeed as it would be hard to judge deep from shallow pothole.

Cotton dries alongside the dusty potholed road close to Gongan
[attachimg=1]

Yangjiachang turned out to be what I expected Gongan to be, one long dusty pot holed road with many small shops open to the elements, chickens and sleepy sweaty dogs running around the place free range.
Sunny wasn't hungry but i was so she got me two lovely hot baozi with a kind of herby pork meat filling inside. I wonder if any lao wai had trodden these dusty streets recently before?, everybody seemed to stop and stare was we walked along. We went into a shop to buy a (comparably) expensive brand of Chinese cigarettes to help with the passport process (more later)

As we were walking along Sunny's father, who was waiting for us, spotted us and we went together to a shop where his friend was waiting. The friend apparently would help us with the application as the Big Chief. So off we went to the local police station, after a bit of wandering around and talking to various people it was determined that the Big Chief was not in just yet. So we waited in the blistering heat for about an hour it seemed and eventually he arrived.

His arrival caused quite a stir, as soon as he arrived, locals surrounded him all presumably needing his seal of approval on something they were applying for.
We followed him to his office and Sunny's fathers friend chatted to him jovially for a while and threw the cigarettes behind his desk and wouldn't take no for an answer when the Big Chief tried to give them back.
The Big Chief asked to see all Sunny's documentation , our red books , everything. He then asked for the paperwork to sign.
It seems that it never occurred to anyone that they would actually need to bring the paperwork filled in and personally signed to the station ????!!! The police station didn't have the application forms so we would have to go all the way back to Gonan to the "County Administration Service Center" to get the forms. That is about an hour away over really bumpy dusty hot roads, great..

Yangjiachang is a pretty isolated place, there doesn't seem to be any taxi's and the bus service is very infrequent, this was a major setback. Sunny's father and his friend walked along the main street deciding what to do, eventually they saw a guy sitting in a chair in the shade in front of a small shop. There was a van parked out front. The fathers friend offered him some money if he would drive us to Gongan which he accepted and we were on our way.
At the administrative center we got the forms and were about to lave when a lady behind the counter saw me and declared that I must register with them there. I said to Sunny to tell her that I was already registered by our hotel, but people here appear to blindly follow whatever any official tells them, Sunny said no , I must register because the official says I must.....So about another half an hour of form filling , passport checking etc ensued, of course all this was totally pointless as the hotel already did it (I had to sign the same form in the hotel)...but what can you do?, i wasn't going to kick up a fuss with her father there, and anyway would have gotten me exactly nowhere anyhow..because_the_official_said_so..it is dogma.

Once the forms were filled in etc. our man with a van took us back to the Big Chiefs office, he signed the forms and said we needed to go to another office in the police station to get them forms officially stamped.

However, and there is always a however....
When we went to that office they said we needed a picture attached to the form (again..this would have seemed obvious to me to have done already...but it seems nothing gets filled in or done unless someone in a uniform says it needs to be here).
Sunny even told me she was so nervous filling in the form in front of the Big Chief that she found it hard to focus on the words on the page!!
Luckily in Yangjiachang there was a marriage photo studio there (every town in China seems to have at least one or more of these). So Sunny got her face done up again and her picture taken and off we went back to the police station to the the form stamped...

However..and there always is a however!
The person authorized to do the form stamping had apparently gone to a meeting or something and we would have to go back to Gongan again to get them stamped.. So off we traipsed again with the man and a van back to Gongan.

However, and there is always a however..............
The person authorised to do the form stamping there was now back at the police station in Yangjiachang, wonderful_just_wonderful. We called the man and his van back and he took us to Yangjiachang once again. We went into the police station but the stamping office had nobody there... Luckily Sunny bumped into an old school classmate there and while chatting to him someone else passed by and he asked them where we could find this stamping guy. They directed us to what seemed to be the police canteen. Sunny seemed extremely nervous and to be honest I really didn't feel comfortable there either. Anyhow she asked one of the guys there where the form stamping guy was and he told hr which office to go to. So we went there, got the forms stamped and I thought, FINALLY_WE_ARE_ALMOST_FINISHED!!!

However..
And there is..
Always a however here!!!!..
There was one more twist to the tale of course. So back to the administration office to have the documents processed, all stamped and signed, pictures, attached, what could go wrong right?, wrong!

[attachimg=2]

Just for starters it was closed!! The office had the shutters all boarded up and the workers in the food stall beside it told us they were on lunch. So we went for lunch and came back for when the office lunch was supposed to be over, of course that was about 30 minutes later than we were told. Its not much fun standing around in 37C heat outside believe me. Anyhow they eventually opened and we got started..

First of all the application is vetted by one person then passed to another and then finally to payments. The first vetting person said Sunny needed to bring her English certification to the office, the one piece of certification she didn't bring. Sunny called for me loudly in English and we went out the door her explaining to me what was needed to my incredulous sounds. The first vetting person obviously heard this and relented and called her back and said it wasn't needed.

Finally a break!

So we passed to the second vetting person, one billion questions later, intense scrutinisation of my passport later they decided that photos we got made earlier in the day were not sufficiently clear but amazingly there was a photo studio two doors down that could do them. Wow what a convenient surprise.... While we where there another person came in to get his photos taken too. I had seen him in the queue behind us earlier and to my eyes his pictures were perfect too...
Anyhow...with the "right" pictures, stamps, signatures ..we finally moved on to payments and a mere 15 minutes or so later they processed our payment (there was one person ahead of us in that queue and they left as we arrived).
The passport application was finally done. They will (hopefully) mail her passport and Hong Kong visa to her workplace in Guangzhou and all things going well Sunny can see me off at the airport in October that dreaded day when I fly home again.

Sunny gave some money to her father and his friend to go back to their respective villages. We would meet up with her father in her original family home tomorrow and meet some of her relatives back there.

Exhausted we had a rest and freshened up at the hotel then went for dinner. There is a KFC in Gongan and Sunny had seen some advertisement on tv about some junk food there that she wanted to try so was all for it. I really didn't want to eat junk food here but thought OK, why not. I just wanted a regular meal burger, French fries and a sprite, with a sachet of ketchup for the fries. Not a big deal you would think in a KFC right?, wrong!!!!

The chicken burger would take a few minutes to make but they went ahead and served me fries anyhow to sit on the counter and go cold. They I noticed when i tasted one that they were unsalted so i asked for a sachet of salt. The serving person didn't understand, so I asked Sunny to translate, and she said they don't have them. I said of course they have them this is a global fast food chain, the must have them. Then she said the fries were already salted, I said, no they aren't, i want a sachet of salt, they must have this (I'm tired, hungry and dont want to eat this junk food and they cant even get a basic order right...OK so I was bitchy, but if you guys had had the day we just had you might have been a little twitchy too!)
Eventually they put some salt into a sundae lid for me. I decided it wasn't worth complaining about the stone cold fries by now. The meals come with a flat soda, or at least that's what the alleged fruit juice tastes like. So i had decided if i was gonna drink some sugery crap it should have bubbles in it so i wanted a sprite. Eventually i got my sprite. Then came the ketchup saga, eventually I got ketchup..it tires me to just type this never mind read it (well done if you made it this far, give yourself a pat on the back from me).

One thing I have learned in China is that 9 times out of 10 western food tastes like crap here or is an ordeal to get. The only exception being McDonalds, its easy to order and tastes the same and they generally have the same stuff as back home, except they don't do quarter pounders with cheese in Guangzhou or Wuhan. I told Sunny that I didn't want to eat any more western junk food again on this trip.

We then went for a romantic walk around the high street and went shopping for stuff to bring her uncles the next day. (cigarette and mooncakes) . The street food in Gongan is...authentic, you can get turtles in there shells, head and all to eat, ducks heads, basically everything looks like it was just skinned and dipped in the frying pan, i didnt try anything.
After that we headed back to the hotel, our long tiring passport day finally over.

The next day we went to Sunny's family home and met her extended family there, and that's another tale to be told...

Offline Philip

« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2010, 07:17:47 am »
Great update. However, and there is always a however, I would like to take issue with one excerpt - "sleepy sweaty dogs running around the place free range.
Sunny wasn't hungry but i was"
Now, I know you like to try different foods in China, but free range dogs! ;D

Offline seagull

« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2010, 08:26:26 am »
Love your thread Irishman, and I haven't said congratulations yet, so congrats!  :) Your little dramas trying to do things that should be straight forward sound like something out of a Seinfeld episode! But good entertainment value for us readers and I hope everything else goes well (and smoother than what you have experienced so far!).

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2010, 08:47:47 am »
Great read Ronan , I hope Sunny liked her kfc  ;D and we are looking forward to the next installment , regards Sujuan and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Vince G

« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2010, 10:59:57 am »
I had to laugh a little when you wrote about the paperwork. It reminded me of a old song (and movie) called Alice's Restaurant. Part of it went like this...

when we all had to go to court.
We walked in, sat down, Obie came in with the twenty seven eight-by-ten
colour glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back
of each one, sat down.  Man came in said, "All rise."  We all stood up,
and Obie stood up with the twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy
pictures, and the judge walked in sat down with a seeing eye dog, and he
sat down, we sat down. Obie looked at the seeing eye dog, and then at the
twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy pictures with circles and arrows
and a paragraph on the back of each one, and looked at the seeing eye dog.
And then at twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy pictures with circles
and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one and began to cry,
'cause Obie came to the realization that it was a typical case of American
blind justice, and there wasn't nothing he could do about it, and the
judge wasn't going to look at the twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy
pictures with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each
one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against us.  And
we was fined $50 and had to pick up the garbage in the snow,

Offline maxx

« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2010, 12:03:38 pm »
Irishman congradulations.You have just taken part in the Chinese shuffle.And you and Sunny survived it.Next time you will know.And you can bribe the right official.Somebody was looking for a kickback.

It's done and over with.So enjoy the rest of your time with Sunny.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2010, 03:18:49 am »
Friday September 17th - Visit to home village

Sunny's cousin has a boyfriend with a car and they had arranged from him to pick up us and drive us to visit her parents house (Sunny's uncle) for dinner and from there the whole family would go to Sunny's home village to meet other relatives for another meal and stay the night there.
I asked Sunny if she could book us a different hotel for our return to Wuhan as I found the place we were staying last time very run-down, very unsafe with the congested roads and the lack of walkable pavements too much.
The part of town we had visited before (Jiang'an) with her friends across the river was much nicer so I asked her to book a hotel there. While Sunny looked up websites and made phone calls i packed the suitcases and presently all suitcases were packed and hotels booked and there was a few hours left until her cousin was to pick us up so I suggested booking out and leaving the bags behind the counter (it was almost midday by now and didnt want to be charged for another day if we booked out too late).
Sunny said yes so we booked out and Sunny then said which bag had the hometown clothes?? What???? I said - both do, she said why didn't i pack separate bags for both? She had intended leaving some of the luggage behind the counter until we got back to Gongan.
 I have found that things like this get discussed and agreed in Chinese with friends and relatives and then they are shocked when we don't appear to be with the plan. So she said OK we repack the stuff now, now way was i going there, all our stuff was mixed up and i wasn't going to start reinventing the wheel with everyone in the hotel lobby looking on. The bags were coming or we were not. That decided, we brought both bags.

As it turns out, it was fine anyhow, the cousins boyfriends car turned out to be a van with chairs in it..dinner table chairs!, but that was fine,the bags fitted as did the ancient 32" TV, the bag of melons and the water cooler he was bringing the cousins parents to impress (Sunny says they will eventually marry, so I figure this gift giving was the way to curry favour with the parents when the time comes to ask their permission for the daughters hand).

The drive there was nice, the countryside is exceedingly beautiful apart from the unreal amount of litter. The only way I can understand it is that in the past before plastic, they had  no garbage collection , but all foods and clothes etc were perishable and ponce thrown away didn't last long in the extreme heat and wet of the climate there, so they just keep the habit of throwing the garbage away even though its going to be there for the next 1000 years or so.

In Ireland the main farming is dairy so I'm well used to seeing cattle grazing on grass, but what I'm not used to seeing is cattle bathing in the river! Any cows that I could see not the tied to a rope were seeking shelter from the baking sun by sitting in the river with just their head above water. Strange to see for me I guess, but makes perfect sense, the air was hot and humid, so the water is the one place they could go to cool down.

We arrived eventually after much horn beeping on roads only wide enough for one vehicle, yet there is a constant flow of trucks, motorbikes and vans, never mind horse and carts in both directions, and potholes deep enough to get lost in.
The agricultural communities here all live in lines of houses, there are no shops that i can see.
At this time of year the front yards are covered with drying rice or cotton. The roads are frequently completely covered in rice or soybeans and the trucks etc just drive over them.

I was struck by the housing, it reminded me very much of French farmhouses in the rural provinces thee. Basically four walls and a table with stone floors. No heating, no wallpaper or plaster, no insulation, no running water. However they did have electricity in a few places so fans wre plugged in. But what they lacked in material things they more than made up for it with warmth and generosity and real welcome. We were offered many different types of fruits to drink and cold fruity tea to drink while dinner was being prepared. Sunny's auntie lived here and she was cooking. The dinner was amazing and delicious of course, even the warm beer tasted good and my stomach was fit to explode happily! Such nice people, I was made feel really welcome.

First aunties house.
[attachimg=1]

After dinner and chat we all packed into the van and made our way to Sunnys home village. I asked her several times what the name of the place is but she says it doesn't have a name. Back home a group of houses together always has an area name but not here. It seems that every dusty road has houses along it and each house has a plot of land to be farmed.

We eventually arrived in Sunny's home village (I don't know what else to call it) and were greeted by Sunny's uncle and auntie. They lived in a very large house that seemed to have been constructed recently. It didn't have running water and was laid out very differently to any western home I have been to before. The floors were tiled but there was no living room or kitchen that I could discern. The main hallway was large and people sat there or in the back yard. The kitchen was in a separate building in the back yard which also housed a pig pen and chickens wandered around. he oinking of the pig in that enclosed space really reverberated about but hey this is how it is done here so it seemed normal in the context to me.

After introductions and waters, the men talked about men stuff and the father asked Sunny and I if we would help their son to pack some cotton in the front yard. It only took a few minutes and I think it might have been for entertainment value for the local villagers to see a pink faced overweight low wai packing cotton. I'd never done this before so found it interesting but was glad I didn't have to do it for hours a day every day, the novelty value would wear off fast.

That done it was time to go down to the family home where grandpa now lived alone in. Sunny showed me around, it was pretty basic and being honest I was mighty relieved that we were staying in her uncles house. Sunny showed me her old bedroom where she and her sister used to sleep and she said look, it hasn't been used in used in years, its so clean! I could already feel my allergies kicking in just looking at that room, and was keen to see the other parts of the house !

Grandpa is pretty sprightly for a 79 year old and still seems to have most of his teeth which are whiter than mine, impressive for a man who probably never brushed his teeth once in his life. That's clean living i suppose! He doesn't drink or smoke apparently.
After introductions and family pictures taken we went back to the uncles house for dinner.

While auntie was preparing dinner we went to the Yangtze river with Sunny's/our cousin who is 12 years old and knew the best way to the river. The Yangtze river runs right alongside Sunny's home village and in fact her uncles house pumps water directly from a pipe to the kitchen from it. I've seen documentaries about the water in the this river and what goes into it so I decided there and then that i wasn't washing my hands or showering in that stuff that night.

We took some silly pictures in the rapidly fading sunlight and it was nice. Sunny's father then arrived wielding a thick stick, I half thought for a second..oh-ohh! But no, he was going to use this to help uncle carry some heavy equipment back from the lakeside shore to the house. I know her father has a bad leg and is older than me so i didn't like to see him carrying such a heavy weight and told Sunny so. She promptly ordered him to pass over his end of the weight baring load to me and I'd carry it from there.

We staggered under the weight across the muddy river bank and over a fence back to the house. And left the heavy equipment there.
The kid then brought us water and we sat in front of a couple of fans and relaxed.

Sunny decided it would be cool for the kid to get some help with his English homework from a native speaker so she suggested he bring his textbook out out to us to see what he could do by himself and what he needed help with.It was fun reading the lessons, apparently the kid said I sounded just like the tapes his teacher played in class. Interestingly some of the lessons were of dubious accuracy - one of them was to put words into their correct order and on a couple of occasions i could construe perfect valid sentences with different meanings using the same words which no doubt teacher would mark as incorrect. But overall if the kid learned half the stuff there he would have a good grounding in the basics. I also put Sunny to test in several of the exercises but disappointingly she easily got them all right so no opportunity for gentle teasing there!

Hometown at dusk - the rice and cotton is covered over so the dew cannot moisten them and delay the drying process
[attachimg=2]

While we were doing this a couple of neighbours arrived and they were very curious and everyone wanted to see some euro notes and coins so i brought out what I had in euros and Hong Kong notes and coins and that was a success.
Presently dinner was arranged and we have a lovely feast again , I think this day I probably put on about 5 lbs alone I was fed so well!

After dinner it was time for bed. Sunny and I usually go for a shower before bedtime and she showed me to the shower room, well actually as the water wasn't pumped in just it it was a bare room with a basin of murky looking river water. I said I'd skip the shower tonight.

Auntie showed us to our bedroom which was huge and had a basic builders finish to the walls, with a big bed in the middle, no aircon but she had a fan beside the bed.
The curtains were open and the moths ad insects were trying there best to get into the light so i drew the curtains.
Auntie left the room,m and i then saw something on one of the bedroom walls...
I got up and walked over to see what it was..
It
was
a
bat!!!
Sunny didn't seem perturbed by this but no way was i sleeping in a room with a damn bat for company!
She got auntie who came with a big stick to poke the bat, she couldn't reach it so she gave it to me, once poked the bat went crazy flying around the room before settling on the wall again.
The kid at this stage had heard the commotion and stood in the doorway - the bats only escape route and laughed his little head off.
Trying to keep my cool I suggested to Sunny that perhaps the kid standing in the door way was not a great idea if we were to get the bat out of the bedroom.
She told him to stand clear and sure enough next prod of the bat he flew out the door and an open window in the hallway.

So, peace and quiet at last, i settled down to try and sleep, we turned off the light and closed our eyes..but..then there was a knock on the door..
Fathers older brother was paying us a visit. So there is me sitting on the bed in my PJ's, Sunny in her night clothes and the two uncles chatting like there wasn't a care in the world. To make matters even more delightful they decided to light up and smoked happily away in the non air-conditioned bedroom and dropping the ashed on the bedroom floor, nice.
Eventually they left and we got to sleep.

The next day we returned to Wuhan..much more to come, stay tuned!!