Author Topic: Tell me about ShangHai  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Axiom

Tell me about ShangHai
« on: September 30, 2010, 12:05:56 am »
I am giving serious thought to trying to make it to GDC China this year

http://www.gdcchina.com/

So I am curious if I can swing it financially. Sides the plane ticket and the passport. How much $$$ will I need for a hotel, transportation to and from the airport, food etc.

Does anyone reside in the ShangHai area? Any info would be awesome.

Arnold

Re: Tell me about ShangHai
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 12:21:05 am »

So I am curious if I can swing it financially. Sides the plane ticket and the passport. How much $$$ will I need for a hotel, transportation to and from the airport, food etc.

Axiom , I stayed at the Tanfu Business Hotel in Pudong the first time and paid about 600 Rmb for each night ( including Breakfast for two ) .
My last three , I stayed in the Holiday Inn Downtown at a rate of 630 Rmb a night and also Breakfast .. that was much better there .
It is right next to a Train Station if you need to travel out of town . The Taxi's are are quite reasonable , used them all the time . Food is not bad at all , except of course at the Hotel's or at International Restaurant's . Without the Hotel expense , I'd say 1000Rmb's or less is more then enough each day which includes sightseeing inside the City . All tourist places cost somewhere from 40 to 150 in most places to get in .

The Medlev is quite expensive at $75 for a ride from Downtown to Pudong Airport . Taxi about 150 if traffic is good .
Hope that is of some help for you ?

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 09:17:05 am »
I agree with Arnold, Holliday Inn is very good :)
I will not talk about the hotel where I was in Shanghai because it is more expensive... (crazy guy I was.. haha)
- Let's Rock -

Offline Jimmy

• Soon the Family will be Complete.
  • She Was A Wonderful Wife
    • Jim N Libo
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 03:10:51 am »

Axiom , I stayed at the Tanfu Business Hotel in Pudong the first time and paid about 600 Rmb for each night ( including Breakfast for two ) .
My last three , I stayed in the Holiday Inn Downtown at a rate of 630 Rmb a night and also Breakfast .. that was much better there .
It is right next to a Train Station if you need to travel out of town . The Taxi's are are quite reasonable , used them all the time . Food is not bad at all , except of course at the Hotel's or at International Restaurant's . Without the Hotel expense , I'd say 1000Rmb's or less is more then enough each day which includes sightseeing inside the City . All tourist places cost somewhere from 40 to 150 in most places to get in .

The Medlev is quite expensive at $75 for a ride from Downtown to Pudong Airport . Taxi about 150 if traffic is good .
Hope that is of some help for you ?

Man you guys like those fancy places. The place I was in here in Harbin was like 600 rmb For the entire stay. Which was I think 5 days. Then we moved into our Apartment where we are now. And for $1000 American I pay the rent for 6 months.
Way up north here not many tourists and things maybe thats why it is so much less. And The place was pretty Nice free Wifi, Bottled water if you drink the 4 they leave you every morning. Just call down they send 4 more up no cost. It was clean. the bed was good and sturdy. My wife and I had no complaints.
Jimmy Henson

Offline Philip

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 05:43:53 am »
I stayed at the Green Tree Inn at 1228 North Zhongshan road. A simple, clean and nice hotel. 229 yuan for a single room, and I think about 359 yuan for a double. Just two or three stops to the centre of town.

Offline Axiom

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 12:38:55 pm »
Thanks all,

Seems like a great place to go and network. I have been looking for teaching jobs and for some reason, while everyone says it is easy to find teaching jobs in China... I have been having not so good luck with it, so I thought I'd try a different venue.

Yeah I am looking for just somewhere to sleep and store my clothes while I am at the GDC :) So places like the Green Tree are what I am looking for.

So if I bring along and extra $200 for 5 days for food and lodging I should be able to survive?