Author Topic: Third trip - I slipped and fell  (Read 6789 times)

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
Third trip - I slipped and fell
« on: November 01, 2010, 07:13:06 am »
I totally didn't mean for things to turn out the way they did.  I had written off the idea of finding a Chinese wife, especially one that doesn't speak English. 

I've had three Chinese girlfriends of varying degrees.  Nina, who I visited twice, fell head over heels for, and to this day feel like I missed out on something special.  Brenda, who I wrote to for a couple months, but ended literally days before I planned to buy a ticket to visit her.  Yang Yang, who lives in my town, who I laid my heart out for, who I still consider a good friend, but nothing more.

While I was writing to Brenda, I got a random qq add who turned out to be really cool (Alice).  She asked me about Nina and how we met and I showed her how to register on Chineselovelinks where I had an account and met Brenda.  We would chat off and on, purely innocent nonsense.  She asked me once to find her a Canadian boyfriend, and I jokingly suggested that I wanted to keep her as a second girlfriend.  A month after Brenda shut me down, Alice found my profile on Chineselovelinks.  We chatted for a couple more months.  It was totally innocent, just being friends with each other.

But, as we all know, men and women can't be friends.  I had planned and budgeted for a trip to China and, after a beautiful day with Yang Yang turned out to be nothing but a touchdown in the friends zone, I decided to head east again.  I had no expectations.  Through all of our conversations, Alice had repeatedly told me that she was not an attractive woman.  I had seen her a couple times on webcam but she had lost her job 2 months previously so there was no way for her to share photos with me.  I had one old photo, but under no circumstance was she going to send me a picture, no matter how hard I tried to convince her.  I even told her that I wouldn't recognize her when I come, to which she replied that she would recognize me.  - I know, red flag! 

Anyways, after a nightmare 14 hours of turbulence and 4.5 hours of being held prisoner on a jet plane, I finally arrived in Xiamen - just across the sea from Taiwan.  I passed through customs and there she was, waiting patiently for me.  She lied of course - while she's not as gorgeous as Nina or Yang, she was definitely not unattractive either. 

We spent the week in Xiamen, visiting tourist sites, temples, parks and basically getting to know each other.  I got to meet her cousin's family - even got to share 2 meals with them, including 4 beer with her cousin's husband.  Her cousin's daughter was the only person who could speak any English (she's 13). 

Alice is divorced, she has a 6 year old son, she does not speak any English and she is 34.  If I had to choose, I would not have chosen her.  Funny how things never seem to work out like you plan. 

She is the sweetest, most dedicated, loving, caring, gentle woman I have ever met.  She has a huge family that love and support her and they are all concerned for her safety and happiness.  We had amazing chemistry together.  We laughed together so much.  She hiked with me up a million stairs to the top of a mountain wearing cute little high-heeled shoes and fed me the hottest spicy noodles I have ever eaten.  She peeled every shrimp I ate (and I ate too many) and shared the tastiest pomelo ever. 

I've been home from Xiamen for 4 weeks now.  I guess I didn't share my story because I wasn't completely sure until recently.  There's issues, of course.  English is the big one, her son is also going to be a huge issue.   But I am a man who will step up to his responsibilities.  Hopefully I haven't taken on a task too large, but what can I do?  Love is blind. 
...as irresistible as chocolate

Paul Todd

Re: Third trip - I slipped and fell
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 07:24:23 am »
Neil,

I'm sitting here with a big smile on my face  ;D

Offline RegnisTheGreat

• www.secretasianman.ca
    • http://www.secretasianman.ca
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 07:36:24 am »
Happy for you.

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 07:59:41 am »
Well done Neil , see it hits you right in the face , goodluck on this journey , Sujuan and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 08:34:08 am »
This is great reading Neil.  I would love to hear more.

Offline shaun

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 11:24:57 am »
Neil, I am happy for you.  I have to agree with both you and Mike.  There are and will be issues.  Anyone who thinks there will not be issues is looking for a fairytale life.  Unfortunately I don't think they exist.  But I have found like you, there is a sweet gentle woman beaming through all of those issues who can make life worth living for.  So I say again I am happy for you.   --Shaun

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 02:05:25 pm »
Neil,

Great to hear you are still in the game. And yes, there are always issues. Success comes from how we resolve them. :)

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Offline Hajo

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 04:00:42 pm »
Neil, from your telling I think Alice is more gorgeous then Nina and Yang together.

Maybe you have read my story. My wife and I have been living together for a little more than a year now. And the language barrier? Well it isn't gone. But it has been improved. When we met, we could hardly communicate with the pocket translator. We had some misunderstandings, but nothing huge. I don't regret the decision I made. In fact I think it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. And for the languages, we are still learning  ;D

It seems destiny has shown you a treasure. I think I know how you must feel. I wish you good luck with getting your dream fulfilled.
爱你的人如果没有按你所希望的方式来爱你,那并不代表他们没有全心全意地爱你。
Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to, doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

Offline JamesM.Roberts

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 04:33:35 pm »
Very cool Neil,
Funny how when one doesn't have expectations,  they are suddenly exceeded. Very happy for the both of you.
Anyone can pick up an apple off the ground, but the sweeter ones take a little work to get to!!

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 05:46:27 pm »
Neil

...one door closes...and another opens !!!!

Enjoy your new love, you've earned it....and dont sweat the small stuff like Language  ;D ;D

David

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 12:24:58 am »

Surprise right out of left field. This is really cool Neil.
Gerry
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 04:08:54 am »
Thanks everyone.  I really appreciate the comments. 

Lain's recent posts resonated a bit with me concerning my relationship with Nina.  She too was beautiful, smart and intelligent, but very aloof and non-committal.   Even relatively recently she sent me a message saying that she cried in the street on the way to work on 10/10/10 which we had set as our original date for marriage.  It really tugged at my heart strings, but in the end, she's not the type of woman I want to spend my life with.  One thing I noticed with Nina was that when I started to make decisions for myself without including her, she seemed to sit up and take notice.  Almost like she was testing me, wanting me to take charge.

With Alice, while she relies on me to make decisions, she always asks my opinion or permission before doing anything serious.  She even asked me if I would accept her son, because if I wouldn't, she would allow her son to live with his father instead.  Of course, I could never do something like that.  She doesn't test me, she doesn't push the boundaries to see what she can get away with, she would never try to deceive me.   She can't go a day without chatting with me, and neither can I.  That drove me nuts with Nina.  She would dissappear for 3, 4 or 5 days, then come online.  She would apologize and get all lovie dovie, tell me how much she missed me, tell me how frantic she feels without me (of course I was also starting to feel frantic with worry).   I talk with Alice two or three times a day. 

She's starting to ask the tough questions now.  What do we need to do to get married?  When, how soon, and will I ever return?  I'm planning for two weeks off during Spring Festival.  There is nothing I would like more than to be in China for Spring Festival, except possibly getting married.  She figures it will be difficult to marry during the Festival.  During the next few months I'll need to get myself organized.  I'll probably start asking stupid questions and gathering information. 
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 04:50:57 am »
Really happy that you decided to share your story with us.  I hope everything goes well.

You're definitely going to have questions.  And I'm sure that we'll all be happy to help!
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 08:10:02 am »
Neil,

It is great to hear all this. Your story about Alice sounds like what I have with the lady I am with now. We web chat 2 times a day and if we have no internet access we text or call on the phone. It is great to hear that things are working out for you. And don't sweat the questions you may want to ask. I am sure there will be someone here that will respond to them.  ;)

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 09:43:35 am »
Good Luck Neil.  I hear on Chinese news today that Canada has raised its immigrants allowance for 2011 to 250,000 immigrants.  Will that double the population?   ;D  Will it make things a little easier to get your women home.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,