Author Topic: Chinese Names  (Read 3783 times)

JamesMarvin

Chinese Names
« on: December 27, 2010, 08:30:29 am »
Hi all,

I know that this has been gone over 100s of times, but please bear with me one more time. There is a very nice lady that sent me an email named "RongLi Li". Knowing that normal Chinese last name first, I thought her family name is "RongLi" and her name "Li". BUT looking at her email to me she signed it "RongLi". So now I'm confused (ie normal 8) ), which name is her given name and which is the family?

Thanks,

JIM

Offline maxx

Re: Chinese Names
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 09:18:24 am »
James I think you got it right the first time.Her family name is Rongli.And her first name is Li .When me and my wife first met.She would introduce her self as Guo Jinxia.Guo is my wife's family name.Jinxia is my wife's first name.

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 07:54:07 pm »
Hi James,

Her name is most likely Rong Li.  Many chinese these days know that in many parts of the world they use given name, then surname, so they post it that way.  Also, Li is a common surname... Never heard of a surname "Rong Li" (although that doesn't mean much).  I would assume her given name is "Rong Li".
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Hajo

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 12:31:16 pm »
Hi James,

I asked my wife. Her answer was, both names are possible. But as she signed the letter RongLi, I would assume RongLi are her first names.

/hajo
爱你的人如果没有按你所希望的方式来爱你,那并不代表他们没有全心全意地爱你。
Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to, doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 09:09:21 pm »
Hi James,

I asked my wife. Her answer was, both names are possible. But as she signed the letter RongLi, I would assume RongLi are her first names.

/hajo

This is also what I was told tonight, when I asked... :D

Arnold

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 11:27:19 am »
Jim ... with this now cleared , hope you don't write it ........ WrongLy! ;) ;) ;)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 07:52:51 pm »
I am lucky my wife is You Yuan.

So I can get away with calling out 'Hey You'

And its always her that answers?

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

JamesMarvin

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 11:17:24 am »
HI all!

Well, I bite the bullet and broke down and asked her! Her family name is Li and her given name is Rongli. I told her that even my Chinese friends were not sure. She did not seem to mind.

JIM in Germany

JamesMarvin

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 11:19:32 am »
I am lucky my wife is You Yuan.

So I can get away with calling out 'Hey You'

And its always her that answers?

Willy

Here in Germany "You" is "Du". Once I called my wife "Hey Du!" and she replyed "Do I look Chinese, f**ker?" That was the last time for that!

:)

JIM in Germany

Arnold

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 12:30:17 pm »

Here in Germany "You" is "Du". Once I called my wife "Hey Du!" and she replyed "Do I look Chinese, f**ker?" That was the last time for that!
JIM in Germany[/quote]

Und Ich dachte " DU " bist eine nette Frau .. um so etwas " MIR " zu sagen !!! >:( >:( >:(

That Word would cause me to say goodbye right there . I Hate language like that .. especially from a Woman .

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 10:43:24 pm »
Jim ... with this now cleared , hope you don't write it ........ WrongLy! ;) ;) ;)

Arnold, you are starting to sound like Rhonald.