Author Topic: How Long Did You Wait?  (Read 6502 times)

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
How Long Did You Wait?
« on: November 03, 2010, 08:58:13 am »
With the unofficial news that Rhonald and Yan got their Visa, I was curious how long everyone has waited, once they started the visa process.  I know every country is different, but this might be useful for new members to know what kind of wait time they are looking at.  Put your name, home country, which Embassy used, and how long you waited from start to finish.  I have a feeling that Rhonald will have been one of the longest.

Martin  Canada   Beijing Embassy   4 Months   No immigration attorney
Hajo  Danish Embassy, tourist visa, 6 hours  Then both of us in Denmark, application for resident permit, 3 month
Chong  Canada   Canadian Consulate in Hong Kong    7 months
Robert Snellgrove   USA   CR-1 visa(California Service Center )   7.5 months
Maxx  U.S.A. Nebraska service center K1 visa  11 months ( Immagration attourney ) Holmes and Lolly. La Jolla California
Arnold : USA   Guangzhou Embassy K3 12 months (with Immigration Lawyer)
Keith USA I went through the California one and it only took 6 months for a k-1
Peter  Sweden   Swedish embassy in Beijing:  3 months
Irishman  Ireland  ___________________: 1 week
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 05:58:16 pm by Martin »

Offline shaun

Re: How Long Did You Wait?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 07:10:11 pm »
Martin, there are 4 service centers in the US and each one has a different timeline.

1. California Service Center     2. Nabraska Service Center     3. Texas Service Center     4. Vermont Service Center.

I am going through the Vermont Service Center which seems to have the quickest turn around time, so they say.  I also hear that the California Service Center takes the longest time.  You can't choose service centers, one must see which one he/she is assigned to based on their address.

Offline Jimmy

• Soon the Family will be Complete.
  • She Was A Wonderful Wife
    • Jim N Libo
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 01:21:19 pm »
Martin, there are 4 service centers in the US and each one has a different timeline.

1. California Service Center     2. Nabraska Service Center     3. Texas Service Center     4. Vermont Service Center.

I am going through the Vermont Service Center which seems to have the quickest turn around time, so they say.  I also hear that the California Service Center takes the longest time.  You can't choose service centers, one must see which one he/she is assigned to based on their address.

I did not know you had a choice. I was under the impression you must use the one closest to your home.
I m at 8 months still waiting.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 01:23:07 pm by Jimmy »
Jimmy Henson

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 10:28:31 pm »
I am following this thread with interest as I am putting in the visa application very soon.  I am curious as to who used an immigration lawyer and who didn't just to see if there is a difference in waiting periods.  Maybe useful maybe prying it is up to you of course if you divulge this info.
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 10:41:26 pm »
Good idea...on top of the above information, let me know if you used an immigration attorney, or did it yourself (immigration attorney, or No immigration attorney)

Offline shaun

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 10:53:51 pm »
Jimmy you don't have a choice.  You put your address in and they tell you where to mail it.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 03:51:35 am »
Jason

I cant tell you exact details, because my visa appilication is still in progress.

Maybe Robert can give you more precise info.

But I have used an Immigration lawyer and he is also a good friend so I dont get the "bull sh**t" to go with it.,

He tells me that all Australian applications must go through Aus Consulate in Shanghai and that the processing time currently is from 4 to 6 months.

There is no basic difference in timing whether you use a Lawyer or not...but if you make the slightest mistake, or fail to everything EXACTLY as required...then you start again !!!

The process is very paper and detail hungry and I know I would have not liked to do it without an "expert" helping. I can see where some of the forms are very vague and a Lawyer should know exactly what they want to see.

FYI, it is VERY important to show positive proof that your relationship is genuine...they like to see that you made more than one visit to see her, and they like to see at least 4 endorsement letters from your family/friends.

Hope that is of some help

David

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 04:10:51 am »
David and Jason , I am also using an immigration lawyer , but as we shortcircuited the system due in part to Sujuan's investments plus her ex is within the politcal area where she used to reside and whatever is required from her at this end seems to arrive pronto so accidently we have taken a totally different route along with her arriving here as her daughters guardian , regards Sujuan and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Jason B

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 05:58:27 am »
I do not want to hijack this very interesting thread with Aussie only info so mods if you want to move this and Davids posts to the Australian requirements feel free.

they like to see at least 4 endorsement letters from your family/friends.

Is this the information that they want on the Form 888 (Statutory Declaration by a supporting witness relating to a partner visa application)?
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 07:31:34 am »
I will post an official trip and also detailed visa interview once back home. We almost had to reschedule for February for her interview because of some problems. As it is, we are still waiting on news concerning her son and we still need her to redo her medicals so still maybe not until February before she can submit her passport for the visa.

We did not use an immigration lawyer, and to think that if we had with the same wait, that would be criminal.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 06:11:05 pm »
Yep...That's the one Form 888

I am told that it also carried more weight if the 888 declarations can say that they have at least had a conversation with your wife/fiance on QQ, MSN or similar. Even though it is unlikely that your family and friends have met her in person, this sort of contact is highly regarded.

I got my Children and friends to come over for a BBQ and meet Ming on QQ for a chat...good fun !!! and keeps Immigration happy that they can say they met her "face-to-face" on QQ

Also of interest...when you submit the application to Immig. for fiance/spouse visa, they will always be happy to give her a tourist visa to come over for a "look-see". As you know, for a single woman, these tourist visas are very hard to get, but once you have made the application they get very relaxed about it. She can stay here 3 months, but MUST be out of the country to receive her fiance/spouse visa

David
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 06:18:43 pm by David E »

Offline Jason B

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 08:00:59 pm »
My mum, brother and sister have all spoken to her via Skype.  I had intended on getting them to fill in the Form 888.  I will tell to mention having spoken to her via Skype thanks for that bit info.

Also I will mention about having to submit in Shanghai and about getting a tourist visa to come here.  She is going to finish up work on 20Nov, just before I come and I intend on supporting my WIFE (sounds funny) financially even more than I do now.  But if she can get a visa to come here for a while that would be fantastic, I will mention this to her when we talk today.  Might be able to get her to come here for Mid December and January and then we can both fly back in February for holidays.

Offline Jason B

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 06:18:19 am »
He tells me that all Australian applications must go through Aus Consulate in Shanghai and that the processing time currently is from 4 to 6 months.

This is from the Australian Embassy in China Website:

Where to Apply

Applicants living in the following provinces should apply at the Australian Consulate General in Shanghai:
•    Shanghai, Beijing, Tianjin, Chongqing, Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Anhui, Jiangxi, Hubei, Heilongjiang, Jilin, Liaoning, Hebei, Shandong, Inner Mongolia, Shanxi, Henan, Ningxia, Shaanxi, Sichuan, Gansu, Qinghai, Xinjiang and Tibet.

Applicants living in the following provinces should apply at the Australian Consulate General in Guangzhou:
•    Guangdong, Fujian, Hunan, Guangxi, Yunnan, Guizhou, and Hainan.

I have sent them an email to confirm this.  I do not doubt your friend but if I can save a trip to Shanghai then this will be a better way to go and make it easier for Xia to go to appointments with the consulate etc.

Offline Jason B

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 05:40:17 am »
Well I received a reply today about my email:
Dear Client:

Thanks for you inquiry.
 You are right about lodging your wife's application with Guangzhou Office.
Currently, applicants (of  partner migration ) living in the following
provinces should apply at the Australian Consulate General in Guangzhou:
•    Guangdong, Fujian, Hunan, Guangxi, Yunnan, Guizhou, and Hainan.

However, before 1st April 2009, all PRC residents partner migration
application were required to send to Shanghai. Your friend were right if he
lodged application by then.

Hopefully all correspondence will go this fast.......and as for the visa application itself even faster...

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 05:06:48 pm »
Thanks for that info. Jason...I guess it just goes to show that even if the lawyer is a friend, they are still suspect !!!

I will have a "few" words to say when I meet him on Monday !!!

BTW...he also tells me that it is unlikely that Ming will be called to Shanghai for an interview...they will probably do it by phone. Now I WILL check out that bit of info. very carefully  :( :(

David