Author Topic: Members Profile  (Read 3267 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Members Profile
« on: November 12, 2010, 12:15:50 am »
There seems to be a trend that when members are signing up they are giving no information about themself at all.

Should there be some stipulation on profiles before anyone can post on here.  Or is creating high numbers of members a major concern.

I will say that when I receive private PM's from people with scant or no proifile details I either do not answer or I reply in a negative way.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
Re: Members Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 12:43:19 am »
Yes Willy , I totally agree with you on that , regards Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 01:43:22 am »
Creating high numbers is not a priority here. We are looking for quality not quantity. This is a question for Irishman to look in to.

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 03:09:17 am »
Thing is, even if there's a requirement to fill in personal details, there is never a guarantee it will be true.  If someone wants to be anonymous, they can just enter false information.  I remember in the old BBS days, there was telephone verification - the computer actually dialed your number and if you didn't answer, you weren't allowed on the site, or were greatly restricted.  It's pretty unfeasible nowadays.  I imagine it could be mandatory to choose a country and then cross reference your IP with your country to see if it's true, but most of us travel between our homes and China (or elsewhere). 

Privacy and security on the internet is a personal choice - we all decide how much of our true self to put out there. 
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline crexcrex

• Nothing is also something!?
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 03:12:16 am »
Hello Forum!
Member since Maj! Sorry I didn´t give any information about myself! Now it´s done!
What is "quality"?
How much is "high numbers"?
Or, "how long is a string"???
Just kidding!
I think that "quality", is depending on the writers or the readers "needs" or "view" of a subject!
But I understand your thoughts about this!
Just want to put it from an another "angle"!
I must say that your/our FORUM is a "Jewel"!
I have read/learned a lot here!
Thank you very much!
So far I´m only reading and learning!
I think I will start some communication with some Chinese lady soon!
Thanks again for all information!
Leif
In all negative you can also find something positive!

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 03:36:32 am »
I think you almost answered your own question Willy...and I think your approach says it all.

If  guys want to come onto the Forum and have a look........so be it.

But if they like what they see, want to be a part of it, then they will begin posting. This may well be the time to require some detail as to who is posting here.

I have recieved a few communications from "anonymous (or mostly) folk and I do what you do...ignore or send a very short reply.

When you look across other Forums, and not necessarily about finding partners, you can easily see that we are a very different bunch !!! and that is our strength.

Casual folk, and players dont get too interested in our way of doing things...thank goodness.

David

Offline shaun

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 04:49:43 am »
Welcome Leif.

I am glad you commented.  You ought to contribute more often but I do understanding your reading.  Remember all you have learned on this site especially Maxx's 2 rules and you will do well.  Keep your guard up no matter what site you choose to find that woman of your dreams on and good hunting.

Shaun

Offline ron

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 09:48:23 am »
What information could anyone post on their profile that would take away any negative remarks?There isnt a lot to choose from as far as information goes.Location is about it and either you believe it or you dont.I remember when we had a person I think it was mmk not sure he had married and died of gunshot wounds?And it couldnt be confirmed.It is good to be cautious but on the other hand its not like someone is trying to steal secret documents either.I guess its up to the individual either you trust people and willing to be a friend or you don`t                                    Ron

Vince G

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 10:37:04 am »
Ron I understand where your coming from but when knowing just where they (poster) are from gives a better answer. In other words if they asked a question lets say about visa's, How do you answer the question not knowing where they are from for each country has there own process. In some cases you don't even know if they are male or female, or even their name. We share allot of info about many things here including our personal lives so when someone is evasive of themselves it tends to bring suspicion. There have been times when you'll get a troll enter and make remarks. Instigating arguments, that's what a troll does. So I personally feel the more we know of a person the better it is, trust wise.

As for MLM, he was back with us on Facebook so THEY had their way of having a profile on there and that gave us the who he was. If you put false info on Facebook they pull the profile.

Offline ron

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 11:29:44 am »
Vince I hear you you are right about the trolls.I thought when I first signed up and I know I did it was to put down my address when we moved to this new site I should have checked that.I put in my info again.I wasnt aware that it didnt follow me here.I am not sure what anyone could get from this site except info about chinese relationships and being in china.Yes there have been personal info put out from other members and it is sad that people use this.Thanks for sharing Vince.I am like a lot of people trying to learn what I can before I take my big step                            Ron

Vince G

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 11:41:32 am »
Please understand I wasn't directing that post at you Ron. You've been here long enough to  know (or I know) your from the US, etc. There are sites I have been to and put in false info myself, esp when they want my phone #, address etc and I'm just checking on something like a electronic translator. Here on this forum I can also understand not putting in info if your just checking it out but once you decide to join in? correct info should be used. It's all a trust issue.

Offline shaun

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 12:15:41 pm »
When speaking of making friends on this site one should always be cautious about it.  Because we all live in different place it is difficult to get a good sense of who the person really is.  Shoot it is difficult sometimes with someone you see almost everyday.  There is no way that the Martin, Ronan, and the mods can prevent dishonest people or trouble makers from becoming a member.  I do think they do good job when they figure it out though.  Time reveals most all secrets. (And please do not read anything in to what I just said.  I am honestly speaking in general.)

When I first became a member of this site I was extremely cautious about what I put in my profile.  Once I got a little comfortable I corrected the information.  I didn't want my ex-wife figuring out what I was doing or invading my privacy but as I discovered she had put plans in motion and knew everything I did on the internet.  She eventually exposed herself and I change all of my passwords.

Offline ron

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 12:32:53 pm »
I knew you weren't directing anything towards me.Shaun is right given enough time things come out I guess if you give them enough rope they will hang themselves eventually.One thing that could be done is a person could give their phone number in a PM and it could be verified that way since we have people living in a lot of different areas just an idea.This would be for people joining the site.Personally I trust a person until they show me different.It all comes out in the wash.                             Ron

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 06:44:00 am »
Asking a new member to give their phone number would not work. In my internet experiences, if I was required to give my number, I woiuld not join.

There is no way to police new members joining. I generally check an IP address of new members. And if someone suspicious joins, I know of a few members here who will PM me with their concerns.

If anyone gets a PM that they think is unusual, they can click the report button, and I will then be able to see the PM for myself, and take action.

This forum works because everyone here works together to keep things going well.

Offline JamesM.Roberts

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 03:27:55 am »
I think this forum is great just the way it is. ( best thing since sliced bread) I know when I first joined, it took me a couple of months just to get the nerve up to post.  (I am glad I finally did)
That's not to say that I wasn't reading and learning , while forming a back bone.
I also believe this forum provides a two-fold benefit,  as it gives the men who are truly serious about taking a life changing journey, the friendship and advise that takes a few of the bumps out of the road, and I think it also serves to ward off those, who think the journey will be quick and easy. So it also can be said, that it benefits the ones we all love -the Chinese Ladies.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 03:33:51 am by JamesM.Roberts »
Anyone can pick up an apple off the ground, but the sweeter ones take a little work to get to!!