Author Topic: The likeliness of a foreigner finding a non teaching job in China?  (Read 16218 times)

Offline Axiom

I am finally getting my sh*t together enough to move to China. Passport? Check? Plane Ticket faire? almost check, about $200 more to go. But as I prepare to go to China to teach for a while, I am curious.... Is there any likelihood for a foreigner to find a job OUTSIDE the teaching field? I'd really like to get into programming/IT/Flash Design but I hear that they will hire foreigners last? Would I have a better opportunity finding a Western based company and applying there?

Teaching will be fun for a while... but computers are my first love (well, next to the Tingers. But she already knows how much of a nerd I am.. so it's cool) so I know sooner or later I would like to get back into software development.

Questions, Questions, Questions...

Arnold

Re: The likeliness of a foreigner finding a non teaching job in China?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 03:46:47 pm »
I'd really like to get into programming/IT/Flash Design but I hear that they will hire foreigners last? Would I have a better opportunity finding a Western based company and applying there?

Your exactly right , that what my LaoPo says about Shanghai . Their Residence People always come first , then .. People (chinese) from other Cities before any western Guy has a chance .
So .. a Western Co. that operates in China is the best bet . I'm no expert here , so let see what other's think .

Offline metooap

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 06:46:27 pm »
Axiom,

It looks like you maybe set right now.

Later as you move forward and you still have a itch in the tech area, let me know.

We are setting up shop a Joint Venture in China - and may have a tech need that you maybe able to help us with.

So keep us in mind as you move forward.

Alton

Offline Axiom

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 08:30:53 am »
Will do.

Like you said, first I need to get over to China, get myself situated to a new culture and start making some $$$

Once that is done, I know the itch will return.

I'll definitely keep you in mind.

And thanks!

Offline halfpint

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 09:55:03 am »
I've been wondering about this as well.  My background is in Finance/Accounting/Managment.  I have experience in a multinational retail organization as well as in manufacturing.  There seem to be quite a few expat positions but I speak no Mandarin.  I've been wondering if I am employable in Shanghai?  I'm sure I could teach, but business is what gets me excited.
My qin ai de is in Shanghai, and I'm not

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 08:54:49 pm »
Halfpint , whilst you are getting organised do an online TEFL course , there are a few on here that are already doing or have finished it and it is not that expensive and then you have something that is recognised in China so even simple partime employment is feasible then you have time to look around , regards Sujuan and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Paul Todd

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 10:31:16 pm »
Axiom

Why not combine the two and teach computing in China. A fellow teacher friend of mine's husband does just that in Tanjin. He gets an apartment and 15,000rmb per month for working 4 hours a day. She's off at the end of her contract at my school in a couple of weeks to teach fashion design, so it's not just teaching English here.
Halfpint you could well be in great demand teaching business studies too! and of course teaching business English is not to bad either,lots of well paid private work doing that. Good luck to you both  :)

Offline Axiom

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 05:28:40 pm »
Wow Todd,

Thats just awesome! How the heck did she land that gig? I could teach Flash, Photoshop Illustrator etc Did he have any teaching degree? Does he speak any Chinese? How did he land that job?  I'd much rather teach something like that to be honest... I have a thousand more questions after I read your post... that need answers now :P

Thanks again for giving me different ideas on how to get my 'foot in the door' in China :)

Paul Todd

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 08:44:48 pm »
Axiom, you are most welcome,
The couple I'm talking about are both registered high school teachers from the Philippines and have been working here for the last 3 years. They taught English to start with and then he moved to a private language school that wanted a computer studies teacher. I'm not sure if he had any qualifications in that area. Neither of them speak Mandarin and to tell you the truth they are paid less than US/UK teachers are. She has just signed a contract for 2 years to teach fashion design and she does have a degree in that subject.
She got that job by putting a CV together and registering with all the teaching sites she could find and then they found her. Why not put that you are looking for a job teaching computing in the "Beginger" looking for work section and see what happens. Heres the link
http://www.thebeijinger.com/classifieds/employment/Looking-for-Employment
If you are thinking of teaching in another area of China look for other on-line newspapers. I know the Shanghaiist does the same and there are plenty more out there.
Best of luck.......

Offline Mikael_Shim

• | IT Security Analyst & Consultant | CHiNA |
  • QQ (1494158153)
    • Access any website or service from Within China. 100% anonymously
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 12:01:49 pm »
Axiom, there are plenty of companies looking for people skilled in programming (php, flash, C and .net) in Shanghai and Beijing, moreso they preferably look for foreigners natively speaking english or well spoken/written english.Most of these companies are either foreign or internationally operating Chinese dot com companies. You can find new ads for recruitment almost daily if you check online, start with echinacities.com for example. But dont expect to find many of these jobs outside of Shanghai or Beijing, atleast i have almost not seen any, but around here there is plenty.  I have had several offers since i got here but i have no interest to convert to an Z visa from my long term F visa at this point, besides i have my own business also and have long term plans to establish office here in China.

However, one thing that differs alot in China (and most Asian countries) compared to many western when you apply for a job. Grad papers means ALOT. Even if you are sh*t at what you do. Real work experience and achievements which are often favoured alot higher then grad papers in many western countries might not be here.

Best of luck to u!
"Just call me Mikkie , thats what all Asians do anyway"

对于世界而言,你是一个人;但是对于某个人,你是他的整个世界

Offline Axiom

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 02:18:45 pm »
Well, I'd like to live in beijing mostly in order to get used to the culture I would like to live somewhere 'westernized' till I get used to the culture a bit more.

But yeah I live, eat and Breathe Flash and ActionScript 3 so it would be great if I could get a job doing something I enjoy while being with the woman of my dreams.

I do have a bachelors degree in design... so hopefully that will be enough to get my big western nose/feet in the door somewhere

Thanks again for the link Mikael

Offline Mikael_Shim

• | IT Security Analyst & Consultant | CHiNA |
  • QQ (1494158153)
    • Access any website or service from Within China. 100% anonymously
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 12:19:48 am »
We live in Beijing. Some foreigners dont like it here for different reasons, some love it. I belong to the latter. I wouldnt say that Beijing is that very much westernized, sure city center is just like in most metropolitan big cities but i would say Dalian is far more western style. However it is also far more expensive. If you have a Bachelors degree and a small portfolio i am sure you can find work here within the IT and /or dot com business. Do you have a portfolio or some reference work? I might be interested to ask for your help for some of my business projects  8)
"Just call me Mikkie , thats what all Asians do anyway"

对于世界而言,你是一个人;但是对于某个人,你是他的整个世界

Offline Axiom

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 10:04:44 am »
After a few months, I am back! Working my butt off to get the money together for a plane ticket and climbing over many obsticles (in the past 4 months I replaced almost every part in my computer trying to figure out why it wasnt working as well). Anyway, with excuses under the table... on to bigger and better things.

I don't have a porfolio set up yet sadly. I do have quite a bit of work to show so if you want to see a selection of some let me know your email so I can send them... since some things are games I am not sure if they can be attachments here.
I just purchased my plane ticket today, I will be leaving the USA on May24th!!! whew, this has been a ROUGH past 365 days!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 10:06:23 am by Axiom »

Paul Todd

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 08:47:48 pm »
Great news....welcome to the land of opportunity  :)

Offline Axiom

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 09:34:56 pm »
Thanks Paul. Like I said.. the past few months have been a straight up climb for me since the place I worked for went belly up before i could save enough money for a plane ticket...  but anyway... wah wah... and boo hoo... we all got problems, so i am sure you dont want me to go into details about mine... Safe to say, i still need a job in China, but compared to what i just went through, that will be like falling off a log during an earthquake!