Expats in Asia > Working In Asia

The likeliness of a foreigner finding a non teaching job in China?

(1/7) > >>

Axiom:
I am finally getting my sh*t together enough to move to China. Passport? Check? Plane Ticket faire? almost check, about $200 more to go. But as I prepare to go to China to teach for a while, I am curious.... Is there any likelihood for a foreigner to find a job OUTSIDE the teaching field? I'd really like to get into programming/IT/Flash Design but I hear that they will hire foreigners last? Would I have a better opportunity finding a Western based company and applying there?

Teaching will be fun for a while... but computers are my first love (well, next to the Tingers. But she already knows how much of a nerd I am.. so it's cool) so I know sooner or later I would like to get back into software development.

Questions, Questions, Questions...

Arnold:

--- Quote from: Axiom on December 08, 2010, 03:31:09 pm ---I'd really like to get into programming/IT/Flash Design but I hear that they will hire foreigners last? Would I have a better opportunity finding a Western based company and applying there?
--- End quote ---

Your exactly right , that what my LaoPo says about Shanghai . Their Residence People always come first , then .. People (chinese) from other Cities before any western Guy has a chance .
So .. a Western Co. that operates in China is the best bet . I'm no expert here , so let see what other's think .

metooap:
Axiom,

It looks like you maybe set right now.

Later as you move forward and you still have a itch in the tech area, let me know.

We are setting up shop a Joint Venture in China - and may have a tech need that you maybe able to help us with.

So keep us in mind as you move forward.

Alton

Axiom:
Will do.

Like you said, first I need to get over to China, get myself situated to a new culture and start making some $$$

Once that is done, I know the itch will return.

I'll definitely keep you in mind.

And thanks!

halfpint:
I've been wondering about this as well.  My background is in Finance/Accounting/Managment.  I have experience in a multinational retail organization as well as in manufacturing.  There seem to be quite a few expat positions but I speak no Mandarin.  I've been wondering if I am employable in Shanghai?  I'm sure I could teach, but business is what gets me excited.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version