Author Topic: The likeliness of a foreigner finding a non teaching job in China?  (Read 16222 times)

Offline David S

Re: The likeliness of a foreigner finding a non teaching job in China?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 11:23:51 pm »
Maybe this goes under a new thread, but what about foreigners starting businesses in China?  Opening a shop or having things manufactured there for export to the West?  Does anyone have any experience in these areas?

Vince G

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 11:30:54 pm »
Opening a business there is different then having something manufactured  and exported. You don't have to be a residence for that. This I am doing in the near future.

Paul Todd

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 02:04:25 am »
Hi David,

It's a bit of a mine field,opening a business here. They have rules and regulations for everything, it gets especially tricky if you start employ staff.  As Vince pointed out, having goods manufactured here for export requires no special paperwork. I source goods for mainly UK companies without too much trouble at all ,although sorting out the required certificates for shipping can sometimes be a headache. If you and a Chinese partner wanted to open a small shop I doubt you would have to face many problems,apart from finding vacant premises that is. The Chinese love to do business and an empty shop is viewed as an opportunity,rent and tax's are low. My wife and I are looking into this at the present time ,so in a few weeks I will be much more knowledgeable!  My wife believes it will be simple enough, she already has her own company and is well versed in the whole thing. I am going to sit quietly on the sidelines and observe, it's often the best way here. ;D

Offline Axiom

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 10:17:11 pm »
Still looking for Flash work in China.... so I thought I'd post of my stuff here so hopefully someone here knows someone....

A jumping praying Mantis for the company Adrenaline Interactive.
http://www.filefactory.com/file/cb01c8e/n/BugBattle_MANTIS_Jump.swf

Same mantis running through an attack animation.
http://www.filefactory.com/file/cb01c73/n/BugBattle_MANTIS_Swing.swf

First Flash game I made
http://www.filefactory.com/file/cb01dae/n/TheRandomlyRandomGame.swf

Second Flash Game I made
http://www.filefactory.com/file/cb01db2/n/Avoider_GAME1.swf
NOTE: For some reason, the fonts are screwed up on this page :(

The game I currently working on now NOTE: I havent implemented the door 'dissapearing' code... so just try to walk over them. When they open you will be able to :P
http://www.filefactory.com/file/cb01dee/n/DUNGEON_TO_DIABOLIK.swf

Let me know what you think!

If you have problems opening any of these just let me know.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 10:24:04 pm by Axiom »

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 11:07:32 am »
Mr A , on echina cities today they have an article about non-teaching jobs in China .
http://www.echinacities.com/expat-corner/non-teaching-jobs-in-china-the-perks-and-drawbacks.html
regards Sujuan and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Mikael_Shim

• | IT Security Analyst & Consultant | CHiNA |
  • QQ (1494158153)
    • Access any website or service from Within China. 100% anonymously
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 12:12:36 am »
Axiom: There is plenty of work for you in Shanghai, trust me!

If you have IT experience, you wont find trouble finding work in Shanghai, Beijing or Dalian atleast. There are plenty of job opportunities for native Swedish, German, Dutch, Italian, French and Spanish speaker too , doing LET and SQA for big companies like Nokia, Microsoft, Adobe, Apple, HP etc. Most of them have outsourced their LET and SQA to China and their offices here always needs native speakers for many languages (but primarily: Swedish, German, Dutch, Italian, French and Spanish).

However, you are most likely NOT going to score any of these jobs if you are not already in China.

Doing business here .. well, yeah.. it depends a lot how you are going to etc. Me and another swedish colleague here in China are setting up a local business this year. The most common problem with establishing a legal business on mainland as a foreigner is that you must proove that you have money enough to run this kind of business (and this varies from province to province and city to city) but it is rarely below 200.000rmb. Here in Beijing it is more likely 300.000rmb. You dont have to pay this money, you just have to put it in your business bank account. After you are registered and licensed you can use the money. The ACTUAL fee for starting a legal business on mainland is around 12.000rmb. If you are native Chinese you can do this and often without having to show u have 2-300K in the bank. Or .. you can get fortunate like me and my colleague who got acquainted to an English diplomat living here who knows the right people to circumvent the 2-300K deposit. Doing business here on mainland, having the right contacts is very important.

Then there are many pros running your business offshore from HK as virtual office , or physical. However it is no longer possible to establish a HK LTD then conduct all your business in China mainland taxfree as it used to be. You can do this up to 180days legally now, beyond that it is no longer taxfree and you will be double taxed instead. Both in mainland and in HK. There are always ways to work around this legally but then it becomes more complicated and you need to have the right connections.
"Just call me Mikkie , thats what all Asians do anyway"

对于世界而言,你是一个人;但是对于某个人,你是他的整个世界

Offline Axiom

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 02:05:09 pm »
Axiom: There is plenty of work for you in Shanghai, trust me!

If you have IT experience, you wont find trouble finding work in Shanghai, Beijing or Dalian at least. There are plenty of job opportunities for native Swedish, German, Dutch, Italian, French and Spanish speaker too , doing LET and SQA for big companies like Nokia, Microsoft, Adobe, Apple, HP etc. Most of them have outsourced their LET and SQA to China and their offices here always needs native speakers for many languages (but primarily: Swedish, German, Dutch, Italian, French and Spanish).

However, you are most likely NOT going to score any of these jobs if you are not already in China.

Thanks again Mikael, I heard that there was a lot of work for my field of expertise (professional expendable crew member... er animator) and I was even told that I should try getting a job here http://animation.cuc.edu.cn/channel.v2?id=4a4d938129aad3150129ad8eba6b0015  but I think that might be a bit out of my league since I am self taught (plus, i am not sure if my Chinese language skill is up to scratch for going to school in a different country) .... but I might want to take some classes there if I can get enough $$ together (possibilities possibilities).

Anyway, my mind tends to wander this way and that so back to the task at hand.  I do know *some* IT, I know mostly ActionScript and Python. I'd chew off my own head to learn things like Java, PHP/SQL and a few others... but I didn't have the money to take them here in the states sad to say. Speaking of, being a (sadly) typical American, the only language I know is English... but I started learning Chinese through Rosetta Stone but no Swedish, German etc.

Not going to find them if I am not in China eh?  Okay, that's good to know. That means I wont spend my time and energy spinning my wheels looking for a decent job until I am actually there.

*tips hat* Thanks again (again  :P ) Mikael, can't tell you how helpful your insight has been to me in this great upheaval in my life.

Axiom/Dave

Offline Mikael_Shim

• | IT Security Analyst & Consultant | CHiNA |
  • QQ (1494158153)
    • Access any website or service from Within China. 100% anonymously
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2011, 11:51:13 am »
Well you might be able to "score" a job even if you are not here but i wouldnt recommend it, however the likeliness is 100X higher when you are in China. If u apply a job here and get a reply, most companies want to have an interview rather immediately and it is very common that you sign on site the same day you have the interview, provided you pass it.

Get here first, after you have been here a few weeks you will understand how things work here hehe... its a whole different world. I do not think you will have problems finding a job here and if you need any help me and my gf will be happy to help you out. There are LOTS of jobs in the design/3d/animation/fx market here, my GF who is an illustrator just had a few interviews last week for some post FX 3D game companies here and they explained there is always a huge demand for all kinds of illustrators, designers, animators etc .. And i often see ads for AS3 peeps.

So like i said before, just go here ..... and take it from there.

"Just call me Mikkie , thats what all Asians do anyway"

对于世界而言,你是一个人;但是对于某个人,你是他的整个世界

surfinChina

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 05:31:09 pm »
I've been teaching in Dalian for a year now, heading back next month for my 2nd year (my son will join me and teach at the same School yay!).
It's the way to go. I teach for about 15hrs a week and make enough to get by. I have met many great women and settled on one. Meeting them and dating them in real is good and a wise choice can be made.
The IT job scene here is great and it is not a lot of trouble to find work in it. It's the no.5 IT place in the world and no.1 in China, with loads of foreign companies operating with international staff. English is the business language.
My gf is setting up a business with me, so it's easy. We've just done a private agreement and she has put up all the money.
I am still teaching and spending my spare time in the business (car stuff). When it's established I can give up the teaching and we can have more holidays.
The way that China is growing it's easy to make a lot of money. In a place like Dalian the rate of economic growth in business is around 20%, so you get to grow that much even just sitting around - a free ride.

Westerners have a lot of pulling power here. A fairly normal guy can expect a hot woman, around 15yrs his junior, with enough wealth to support herself and any children she might have.

One thing, Dalian is not as international as it seems. Plenty of Russians and Japanese, but hard to find decent coffee, western goods and so on. English speaking natives are few - taxis will not understand a word of English. It's a lot harder than places like Beijing in that respect. You need a few Chinese friends to help you do things.

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 06:13:37 pm »
Great post SurfinChina , can see Dalian on the map so sooner or later we will float past there , regards Sujuan and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Ulric

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 10:28:10 pm »
Hello, I'm new on this web site, I'm travelling in China every year since 6 years now and settle and working in China. If you are looking for a job outside teaching, maybe this site can help  http://www.fesco.com.cn/495/index.htm

Good luck
Ulric

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2013, 06:43:23 am »
Hello, I'm new on this web site, I'm travelling in China every year since 6 years now and settle and working in China. If you are looking for a job outside teaching, maybe this site can help  http://www.fesco.com.cn/495/index.htm

Good luck
Ulric
Having looked at this site it looks to me that Ulric is a one off participator whose intention was to highlight a business that he has some dealings with and get another link on here to assist the ranking of it with search engines.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Ulric

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2013, 11:20:31 pm »
Hello Willy, I'm looking often at your website without participating. I like the advice and sharing experience from you guys. No I don't have any intention to highlight about that business and I have no relationship with. You mistaken Willy :P. Just a website that my Chinese girlfriend gave me. If it can help, good, if not, it's ok.

There are many opportunities in China for working outside of teaching English. Just look carefully.

Good luck
Ulric

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2013, 11:26:52 pm »
Ok thanks for clearing that up. But when a person comes on and makes a first post such as yours was then and we can find nothing about you at all in your profile then we can get suspicious. Me more than most at times!

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Ulric

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2013, 08:10:12 am »
Hello Willy,

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate. I understand your point of view. Living in China since a while and doing everything by myself, find a work, set up business, prepare to marry a wonderful Chinese lady and so one, I forgot the introduction manners  :-[. Ok I begin an introduction. I come from Canada, eastern part, so I speak French also. I was a therapist into a big psychiatric hospital and manager of the psychology and behavior analysis department. So my job give me the opportunity to travel often, first in Ukraine and Russian countries to find my beloved but after some years of scamming, I gave up. I decided to choose China. I'm travelling in China since 6 years now, meeting some ladies but only deceptions and decided to settle because I found the most wonderful (sorry guys I really find the one  ;)) lady. We was dating for a year now and now the serious step is there.
It's ok as an introduction Willy?  :P Have good day all