Author Topic: Sending gifts to China...and Ayi's  (Read 1861 times)

Offline halfpint

Sending gifts to China...and Ayi's
« on: December 21, 2010, 10:12:13 pm »
I sent two sweaters to China, I spent $120 on them, one ladies and one boy's sweater.  Then I spent $87 using DHL to get them there.  That just hurts, is there a better way?

I forgot to get Ayi a present.  She is a live in nanny, she helped take care of my while I was in Shanghai.  Is this a major faux pas?  Should I try to recover from this by asking my girlfriend to give her some money for me.  Any feedback here would be appreciated.

Thanks, Alan
My qin ai de is in Shanghai, and I'm not

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
Re: Sending gifts to China...and Ayi's
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 12:43:29 am »
Alan , very simple , as you know the address just jump onto chinaroses.com.cn and buy a simple gift from there , hoping that your DHL presents have already arrived ha ha , tell your lady what you are doing so as not to raise any dust , regards Sujuan and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 02:02:32 am »
I reckon Ayi would be over the moon if she got a "small" red envelope from you for Christmas...shows you remembered her....go for it !!!

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 01:47:35 am »
When I get things sent over from the UK I just use normal email or sometimes the 'signed for international delivery' and they have always been delivered and the address is only ever written in English.

Do not waste money on DHL or  FED EX.  Mind you things are more likely to go missing in the sorting offices of the UK and the USA than in China

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline JamesM.Roberts

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 05:22:17 am »
Dear Alan,
One way I avoid the costly shipping charges, is by buying locally.(In China) I do a lot of my gift buying on E-Bay or places like DH Gate. Since I am from the United States and we don't produce anything anymore. I figure why buy something that was made in China -shipped here-only to ship it back? :o
So I will buy from a seller based in Hong Kong and only pay shipping charges to the mainland -(much cheaper)- Be prepared to submit your Lady's address in Chinese. I use http://qq.bur.st/qqtranslator.php  and all of my presents have made it ....so far.  ;D
Anyone can pick up an apple off the ground, but the sweeter ones take a little work to get to!!

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 09:43:16 am »
Dear Alan,
One way I avoid the costly shipping charges, is by buying locally.(In China) I do a lot of my gift buying on E-Bay or places like DH Gate. Since I am from the United States and we don't produce anything anymore. I figure why buy something that was made in China -shipped here-only to ship it back? :o
So I will buy from a seller based in Hong Kong and only pay shipping charges to the mainland -(much cheaper)- Be prepared to submit your Lady's address in Chinese. I use http://qq.bur.st/qqtranslator.php  and all of my presents have made it ....so far.  ;D

This is a really good point.  The postal and courier services in China is safer than in any other country.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline shaun

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 05:57:11 pm »
James is there a way to sort out the sellers in Hong Kong?  It would be cool to buy something on ebay and ship it to her.  But to go through every listing to look for Hong Kong sellers?  I ain't doing it.

Arnold

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 06:38:11 pm »
Qing and I still use the Flat-rate Boxes from the US Post Office here . $ 29.95-39.95 and 49.95 for the large . We send sometimes 16-17 pounds of stuff , fill it to the top and it has gotten there everytime so far and all in one Piece .

Offline JamesM.Roberts

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 07:46:49 pm »
James is there a way to sort out the sellers in Hong Kong?  It would be cool to buy something on ebay and ship it to her.  But to go through every listing to look for Hong Kong sellers?  I ain't doing it.
Sorry Shaun and Alan  ???
Thought I put that link up too :o http://pages.ebay.com.hk/eng/ that does make it a bit easier ;D
Anyone can pick up an apple off the ground, but the sweeter ones take a little work to get to!!