Author Topic: My new home in China - Xiaolan  (Read 8569 times)

Offline Lain

My new home in China - Xiaolan
« on: January 22, 2011, 01:37:56 am »
As some of the members here know , I gave up on the dating websites...took a HUGE chance with a lady (that failed) and moved to China. Originally I moved to Shaoguan (MASSIVE MISTAKE!!) and have since moved to Xiaolan where my lady and I had originally made plans to live together. Well I have now established myself here, nice place to live, found all the places I need to function, the grocery store,  post office, good places to eat...etc. Now that I am comfortable in my new home, I have spent some time exploring my new home city (I will live here now forever no plans to return to America) and I have actually been shocked at how nice it is here. To be honest Xiaolan is nice than where I lived in Columbus, Ohio and once I get to speaking fluent Mandarin, I am thinking that this was the best move I have ever made....despite the serious problems I had to confront after my relationship fell apart...and for those who want to know, we are friends again. But there is nothing else and she knows that I am happy now, and she missed the boat as I find another lady.

But I wanted to share some pics of my new home, and some of the beautiful parks all within walking distance of my apartment.

I was also very happy to find a very high quality bike trail that runs several miles along the river.  :) As an avid bike rider, this makes me very pleased that I chose to live in such a modern Chinese city.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 01:46:11 am by Lain »

Arnold

Re: My new home in China - Xiaolan
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 01:48:49 am »
Congrat's Lain and good to see you had a good Homecoming after your mis-fortune with your "Other" . Many happy years I hope lie ahead for you and your LAdy . Stop by ones in a while and let us know how things are going for you in the Future .

Offline Lain

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 02:00:31 am »
Congrat's Lain and good to see you had a good Homecoming after your mis-fortune with your "Other" . Many happy years I hope lie ahead for you and your Lady . Stop by ones in a while and let us know how things are going for you in the Future .

Thanks , but to clarify I am still single at this moment, but admit that  have since had two girlfriends. Once was an amazing beauty and was by far the best actress of sincerity I have ever met..but I am getting very wise to the ways of the younger Chinese Ladies and once she realized that I am no longer a newbie fool she ended it...no big deal. However my current interest is a really good young lady, albeit I know she is still not fully honest with me so I keep reminding her that we are "good friends" ....but she is fun, loves to ride bikes with me, cooks me nice meals at my place and can speak some English enough to make conversation "easier" for us...she can read English fairly well...I am cautiously optimistic.

Here is a pic of her riding my bike...she is a fearless bike rider and has rode with me one day over 30 miles around the city!!!

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 02:02:05 am »
Well done Lain , looks a lovely city and not to big , we will look forward to your next installment , regards Sujuan and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline maxx

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 02:06:51 am »
good job.I'm glad to see that it is working out for you.And good luck with the hunt.For your perfect lady.

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 03:56:12 am »
I am so envious of you.  I would love to live in China.  If I ever lost my job here, I would seriously consider it.  I'm glad to hear your update - I was wondering how things turned out for you.  I wish you lots of success and I hope you'll remember to stop by from time to time to share some of your adventures.  Thanks!
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Peter Arnold

• Milestogo
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 05:42:51 am »
Good for you Lain. I too am jealous as I would like to live in China. Looks like a great place to live. Good to see you are wiser and smarter these days, all the best.
It is never too late to be what you might have been

Offline shaun

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 07:36:30 am »
Lain,  I was just thinking about you earlier this week, wondering what you were doing.  It is good to see that you are settling in and making a good life for yourself.  Stay in touch here.  I am sure that many would agree with me that we would like to hear more about your adventures.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 05:45:37 am »
Just one draw back to the City where Lain is now situated.

and what is that I hear you ask 'I live there".

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 11:21:01 pm »
Thanks for the update Lain.  The pictures are fantastic.  It sounds like you are quite happy there.  Good luck on your endeavors, and your search for your significant other.  Keep us posted.

Offline Lain

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 10:39:34 pm »
Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement ....... I must make it a point to drop in more often and share my stories.

Yes I am happy now that I have figured out how to survive from my "crash landing" in China. I knew it was a 50/50 deal when I chose to come here for my girl...it was either going to work out with her....or not. Sadly , not was the outcome. However I am still the winner as it was always my intentions to live in China. I admit that if I had a god woman by my side to guide me as I adapt to my new country it would be much easier. But in the end, maybe ts better this way because I am learning on my own and making choices based on what I learn....not what I am told because I have found that Chinese woman can be very manipulative with their men. (personal observation)

With every passing week I find myself developing a better sense of how things work here, social interactions are very important to maintain with your friends and is nothing like what I knew back in America. I think maybe the best way to describe it is to say its sort of like "office politics" for those who have ever worked in such an environment. If you want to keep your "status" you must learn to play the game...or you will find yourself without many friends. Thankfully most of my friends understand that I am new to this situation, and cut me some slack.

I will leave you all post with a picture of me at a place I like to go to relax. No matter what , China is now my home.

Arnold

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 11:57:13 pm »
Lain , I really like your outlook on your new Life in China . So , as one can see .. being down one day .. doesn't have to be the end at all . Your still young , so time to find your "right" Lady should not be rushed anyway . As an old saying : Get the FEEL .. but without TOUCHING ! Remember , love will come knocking on your Door .. if you like it or not .. some day .
Live and Enjoy !

Offline Lain

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 10:38:46 am »
Lain , I really like your outlook on your new Life in China . So , as one can see .. being down one day .. doesn't have to be the end at all . Your still young , so time to find your "right" Lady should not be rushed anyway . As an old saying : Get the FEEL .. but without TOUCHING ! Remember , love will come knocking on your Door .. if you like it or not .. some day .
Live and Enjoy !

Arnold, you are correct that living here has its ups and downs....As time passes more ups, thank goodness.

An update on the lady above pictured riding my bike. I have been friends with her more or less since I arrived in Xiaolan. Our friendship has been great and she has known for some time that I really like her...more than just friends. I asked her to become my girlfriend about the same time I started this thread and at the time she gently rejected my offer saying that she needed more time. I told her that I completely understand and we continued to be really good friends.

Well what I did not know was that the extra time she wanted was not so she could learn more about me, it was to wait until she went home to see her family for the New Year.... I just found out today the time she wanted was so she could ask her family for permission to date me. She comes from a very traditional family and given the fact that I am a westerner, and out age differences are considerable she thought it best to ask first.

Much to my surprise during an online chat (poorly translated via Google) they granted us permission to date until next April when they want me to come visit them in Shanghai. WOW....I am a little nervous. I was under the impression that "meeting the family" was more or less implying marriage? Well I guess I have 2 months to see how things go, but if I like her I doubt that will be enough time to know if we should get married?

I guess I should not look a gift horse in the mouth...She is a wonderful young lady, not a gold-digger and we have virtually everything in common...except language. Lets hope this time everything works out....Gotta cram on my Mandarin, she has told me that she will make me study for 2 hours every day until we meet her parents....of course she will help.

Offline kenny

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 11:38:04 am »
Lain

I enjoy reading about your new life there in China. Keep the story going and of course the pictures.

Good luck in your life and with the cute girl.

Kenny

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 11:41:40 am »
Lain...this is a really fascinating story.  I am enjoying it quite a bit.  Like Kenny said, keep the story...and the pictures coming.  It is a great read!