Author Topic: Proposal  (Read 3848 times)

Offline Hans

• Once you go Asian you never go Caucasian
    • http://motpol.blogspot.com
Proposal
« on: February 27, 2011, 04:29:57 am »
It's truly great to see guys here getting married one after one!  :D I'm on my way there myself now with a Chinese wedding planned for August. Getting married in China is of course a completely different thing than doing it in Sweden. We will do both but the wedding in Sweden will happen next year. About the Chinese wedding, well I am still trying to figure it out (Nik's video helped, though!).

My fiancée told me she expect me to propose to her. It seems a bit weird after we have already decided to marry and are making plans for the wedding, but tradition is tradition. I could ask her about what I am expected to say and what is considered a romantic proposal in China, but since she's told me several times that she is so excited about what I am going to say to her in Chinese I don't want to spoil it.

I am therefore looking for some kind of inspiration. I've googled the topic and found out different things. Such as the families getting together, exchange of presents, the guy's father giving a speech and so on. Is this really what a traditional proposal is like or can people choose freely nowadays? I had hoped for a more private proposal just between me and my future wife on a restaurant, on a romantic spot or such.  :-\

How did you guys do it?

Arnold

Re: Proposal
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 01:30:48 pm »
I'm not going to be of any help to you Hans , but I tell you how I did it anyway .

Through writing before I ever saw her Face to Face , after that meeting off to the Registry for the Red Books . Doesn't sound Romantic .. but don't be fooled . I knew what I was doing .. haha   so did Qing . At the wedding I only had to  learn the Chinese Sentence " I will now call for my Wife " and she came in to the room with all the Guest's and I went to give her her Bouquet .. went don't on my Knee and kissed her Hand .. that was pretty much all . Then , the wedding Co. took over the rest and we just followed .

Offline Peter

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 11:18:16 am »
I also don't know if I will be any help but a couple of days later after getting the red book we had a wedding at a restaurant with a lot of guests. At this wedding I had to bend down to my knees and ask my wife's mother if I was allowed to marry her daughter. Before she said yes I wasn't married even if we already had the red book... I also had to make a little speech about my expectations of our future and telling the guests how I found my wife.
I guess your fiancée want to have a western proposal so I guess you will have to bend down on your knees and ask her.. Don't forget to give her the ring  ;D

I am told that there are different traditions in different parts of China so I guess you have to ask your fiancée....

Peter
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 11:21:16 am by Peter »
Better to be married to a wife from Changsha then have 7000 women in Chnlove

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 07:31:55 pm »
Yeah, mine was a little unromantic as well.  We were in love, and we knew we wanted to get married.  We had discussed it a lot.  We went to a nice jewelry store or two and looked at some rings with my wife's cousin who could speak some English.  That night I asked my wife if she wanted to wear the ring.  She blushed and acted shy so I opened the box, took out the ring, knelt and placed the ring on her finger. 

We got our Red books about a week before our actual wedding at a hotel.  There was some ceremony, some bowing and red envelopes, but no speech and no asking permission. 

Neil
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Hans

• Once you go Asian you never go Caucasian
    • http://motpol.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 04:34:18 am »
Thanks for the replies! I guess I have to go ahead and ask her after all.

Offline Jingle

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 02:31:55 am »
OMG , if i was you ,I'd rather marry one who does not ask for a proposal ,its so annoying  :-\ LOL ,kidding .