Author Topic: Split from Different faiths, can become the obstacle of love? Religious Content  (Read 5950 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
At least this got a bit of spirit back into this forum.   

It needs a shake up from time to time just to stop it slipping into the dreaded comfort zone where the only words are for those embarking on or disembarking from the journey to China.

Maybe I will slip over to the Religion pages and express my unusual Christian Views there.   But them is Christianity a religion?

Willy
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 10:00:32 pm by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline halfpint

My girlfriend has a stronger faith than I do.  I dont think it makes any difference in our relationship.  We have similar values.  I think that is far more important then whether you go to church and read the bible.  There are good and bad people in all walks of life.
My qin ai de is in Shanghai, and I'm not

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
I want to point out something, that has not been discussed.  While there are discussions about what it says in the Bible, not everyone shares the same view.  In fact, I am not just talking about Atheists, or people of other faiths.  Even within the Christian faith, there are different views and different ways of reading the same thing.  Case in point, in some Christian faiths, the woman is expected to stay home, raise a family, and almost be (or so it would seem) subservient to her husband.  In other Christian groups, the husband and wife are equal.  We can take it further.  For every belief of one Christian group, there is another with a differing view.

I know there will be debate about what I am saying.  Every group has its own set of core beliefs.  None are wrong.  Where you might not agree with something I believe in, that doesn't mean I am necessarily wrong.  How many of you here think having more than one wife is wrong, both morally and ethically?  Yet, there is a Mormon sect, a Christian based faith, that believes that this is completely acceptable, and can quote the Bible in their argument.

The same goes for this line of being unequally yoked.  I think we need to be careful here when we are talking about the Bible, because there are many different interpretations of this book.  Just as there are different interpretations of the Quran.  I am not criticizing anyone who believes either of these books, and I am not saying that if they believe differently than me, that they are wrong.  What I am saying, is that, there are people who are not Christians, who may read things here, and be confused about its meaning.  It could even be interpreted that this is what we as Western Men believe.  We have to be more careful!

Offline maxx

I was going to stay out of this.But I think Martin makes some good points.Religion is a touchy subject with most people.And like Martin says all the different religions.Do have different beliefs.So what do you do if your wife is a Buddhist a Christion or a Muslim.And you do not practice any of these religions.You probably should let your wife/girlfriend.Practice her religion in any way that she wants to.As long as it isn't dangerous or hurting someone.

Like most things in life it isn't a big deal until somebody makes it a big deal.So if your wife is say a Buddhist.And your not.Just go with the flow.You can always show your lady your religion latter.If your religion is important to you.Then maybe you should find a lady that.Belives as you do.

Offline john1964

• finally together
hmm, religion, my niece, who has been a drug addict for five years and has  in the last year been involved with a man whose family are Jehovah witnesses, now newly married decided to dis own the rest of the family because we do not have the same beleifes as her and her new husband ,,Religion has been the problem of many of the conflicts around this planet for about 2000 years or more, Sorry for stepping on anyone's toes but ....its my two cents worth...
aaarrrgh...maybe three cents worth.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 05:27:03 pm by john1964 »

Offline shaun

Maxx you brought is back to the initial point of this discussion.  Should we marry a person whose faith differs from ours.  There are so many varibles in that issue we don't have time to discuss each and every one of them.

Sure there are differing beliefs within the same religion.  But in reality there are only a small hand of core beliefs that are not changeable, the rest is open for debate.  The problem many times is what man puts into it to make it a part of his or her belief system.  That is where we get into trouble.

Believe me I will post more as time permits.

Vince G

In my book people can believe whatever they please. Just don't try to make me swallow it. Trying to force me in anything never rubbed me the right way. I live in the middle of very large congregations, 10 thousand plus each sermon. Close enough that I can walk to most. Two are on TV Sunday morning broadcast nationally. One is actually pretty good. The other is so bad I start yelling at the TV and the leader of this church died two years ago but they still run it on TV like it's live?

In most religion is deeply rooted, born into it. Mine was Catholic. My uncle was even an deacon. I even have an ancestor that is up for sainthood. Yet I wanted to know, just the truth, where all these rules, delegated sins, etc came from.

I now have my own faith it's called, Chrisbubmusjew, it's just pure harmony.

Problem is there are to many rewritten bibles.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 11:35:35 pm by Vince G »

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
Sure there are differing beliefs within the same religion.  But in reality there are only a small hand of core beliefs that are not changeable, the rest is open for debate.  The problem many times is what man puts into it to make it a part of his or her belief system.  That is where we get into trouble.

That is the point I am trying to make.  Yes, there is a core belief system.  To use Christianity as an example, the core belief is that Jesus is the son of God.  He died on the cross for the sins of all the people.  That's the core belief, and I understand that.  The part I am having difficulty with, is when you move away from the core belief, the rest becomes speculative.  A good example of what I am talking about speculative.  Many rules in Churches are based on Old Testament laws.  For example, the law of Thithes.  But, nowhere in the New Testament is there a command that says this must continue.  So, if I come onto this forum, and tell everyone that they are required, by the Bible, to tithe 10%, I am in fact, telling people my interpretation.  And this is the point I am trying to make.  i am not saying people are wrong for their beliefs.  I am not knocking people for their beliefs.  i am only saying, that we have to be careful with what we say on these open boards, when it comes to our interpretation of the Bible...or other religious books for that matter.  They get interpreted wrong by people who don't know what is fully being discussed.  And some of those people might be ladies in China, who have zero understanding of our way of life, let along Christianity.

I am not trying to create any fights, so i hope my words are not interpreted that way.

Vince G

I got that point Martin. Funny you mention it, one debate I had years ago with my ex mother inlaw was about the tithe so it always comes to mind. When she told me the pastor told her that 15% of what she has has to go to the church?

It is mentioned in the New Testament as Jesus said to pay the tithe (taxman). He meant it as it's easier to pay the tax and avoid trouble. But of course it was changed to accommodate a greed.

Offline shaun

Oh gee......    So much food and so little time.    Where do I begin.    We first the reason there are so many different translations, not versions, of the Bible is a scholarly attempts to getting as close to accurate as possible.  The problem isn't the Hebrew or Aramaic or Greek languages as much as the it is the English language and the many vernaculars there are.

Let me give you a few examples just in the English language.  If a person were to say, "Can I bum a fag?"  In England they would be given a cigarette, in America they would be given a dirty look or the wrong side of a fist, who know what the Canadians would think, and I even hesitate to mention the folks down under.  ;D  If it is pissing outside in England people would get an umbrella and in America a man could get arrested for it.

When my father was a young man if you were gay, you were happy, in my generation it means you are a homosexual and in my son's generation it means a person is a dork.

So there is a lot a person has to consider when reading a TRANSLATION of the Bible.  Time, culture and Biblical backgrounds of the translators.

Did I mention that the different Bibles are translations and not versions?  ;D ;D ;D

I hope you guys don't get angry with me I just feel that if we are going to discuss religious things them it needs to be accurate.

Offline shaun

Martin, Vince, it is interesting that you talk about the tithe.  It is one of the most widely debated issues and stumbling blocks in the Bible.

Argument #1.  And the most mentioned argument is that it is not mentioned in the New Testament.  The argument is that since Jesus or Paul didn't say we should continue tithing then it should die with the old testament.  Funny thing about the argument is that Jesus didn't say to do it but he didn't say NOT to do it either.  So because we do not want to give our money away especially 10% of it people tend to select the idea that we shouldn't do it anymore.

Funny thing when it comes to money, we'll try to not pay our taxes either.  Vince the passage you make reference to is about obedience period.  Jesus said render the things of Caesar to Caesar and the things of God to God.  In other words be obedient to your country, i.e. those who have been placed in authority over you, and be obedient to God.

The basic problem is that people will take one passage in the Bible and either build or destroy a doctrine on it.  To maintain integrity one must consider the points I mentioned earlier in this post and the most important part is that it cannot contradict or be contrary to the rest of the Bible.   There is a harmony that runs through all of the passages in the Bible and how they relate to each other.  If one interprets it differently then it is heresy.

Now I hope that as you read this that you do not see a finger of condemnation from me or that I am telling you what to believe.  What my goal in all of this is is to suggest to each of you that as you post things on religion to understand the framework in which it was intended to be built in.  When you do that then you have a good framework in which you can discuss religion and the positives and negatives.

Also I have to apologize, I haven preached or taught  in a while either so it just comes out naturally.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
I wasn't looking for a debate personally.  I was trying to make a point.  I used the tithe law, because it was the easiest to explain.  However, since you brought up a point of whether or not Jesus said to continue or not to continue...with the arrival, and subsequent death of the messiah, all the old testament rules were just that..old.  The new Testament era was upon the earth.  In the old Testament, the rules were clearly spelled out.  In the New Testament, the fact that everything was starting over, with a new set of rules, was also clearly spelled out.  So again, I bring up the point I was trying to make in the beginning...not whether it is proper to tithe...that was simply the example.  The point was, everyone has an opinion, or a different outlook on this.  It goes back to what you said earlier Shaun, when you said that there is a base core of beliefs, and after that, there are small differences in beliefs.  So what I was trying to say, was we have to be careful with what we write.  Because it can easily be misinterpreted, and misunderstood.

Offline Kiwi303

What most Christians never do, is to have a good look at where Christianity came from...and it is not from Nazareth in 000 AD....it came from the Roman Emperor Constantine...and was invented for a very sinister reason...do some research, check it out.

You're talking about the Roman Catholic Church there... Notice the name.. "Roman" = from Rome, "Catholic" = Universal, or Total. In Roman Catholic dogma, only the Roman Catholic church exists.

The thing is that while the Roman church is based on the teachings and interpretation of the Apostle Peter (Name means "Rock" and is the this meaning the Romans take the quote "Upon this rock I will found my church" by Jesus to mean Peters church is the one and only), the teachings and interpretations of the other Apostles in other directions around the region founded separate churches.

The Church of Ethiopia for example was founded by a different Apostle, Bartholomew or Thomas I believe, and is related to the church of India, totally isolated for hundreds of years from the European churches, never part of the Roman church cultures, but still Churches of Christ.

Vince G

Christianity began as a Jewish sect. No Apostle started a church. Christianity came about 4-5 CENTURIES later. There was a whole bunch of history happening between that time. Unless they were writing down every word Jesus spoke at the time he said it? it's uncertain of it's accuracy, let alone the translations, etc.

Examine that quote "Upon this rock I will found my church". Church? He was Jewish if anything the word would have been Temple. I'll even bet the word "church" wasn't even a word at that time? I will also bet he may have said something more of "Upon this rock I will found my Podium"? I'm just trying to show how things can change from a simple writing.

Logically

Vince G

Did a little search and found this interesting page called "The Word that Changed the World" about the word Church." > When Jesus said, “Upon this rock I will build my ekklesia.”

http://www.therealchurch.com/articles/the_word_that_changed_the_world.html
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 11:28:28 pm by Vince G »