Author Topic: Sending money to China  (Read 17099 times)

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
Sending money to China
« on: March 13, 2011, 08:45:52 pm »
I know this topic has bee discussed a while ago, but what is the best way to send money to China?  Western Union has generally been reliable, but is expensive and won't allow me to write her name in Chinese Characters. 
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
Re: Sending money to China
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 08:56:14 pm »
I use moneygram through Canada Post. I put my wife's name in English letters as the form requests this. They have a membership sign up now that will save some information and give a cheaper rate when sending. It usually costs me about 14.25 dollars to send. And now you get email update when the money is received.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 09:13:33 pm by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 09:01:01 pm »
I know this topic has bee discussed a while ago, but what is the best way to send money to China?

Neil the truly best way to send money to China? - well.... take it over yourself  ::) and she will be delighted by both counts.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 09:03:02 pm by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 11:22:21 pm »
We in Australia have a new way  { to us } of sending money to China and I know the company is in other parts of the world so when my better half arrives home I will post the details we now along with several of Sujuan's employees have sent large amounts ie, 20,000 plus yuan all for a 8 dollar transaction fee , regards Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline sara

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 11:37:57 pm »
Neil
    I usually use https://www.99bill.com/f/xinyongka.html if I need to transfer my money to my other bank card online.
I have the internet bank card in ICBC. I can transfer my money from ICBC to my credit card of the other bank (广东发展银行) online and I needn’t pay transaction fee. I need to pay transaction fee if I transfer my money from ICBC to the other bank card directly.
   The web also could transfer dollars or other countries’ money. Maybe you would try it. ;)
Sara

Offline sara

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 12:10:07 am »
Neil
    i am sorry that i forget to tell you: you need to have china bank card first if you would like to use https://www.99bill.com:P
Sara

Offline sara

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 12:20:07 am »
    i checked https://www.99bill.com again. you could transfer the money if you have visa or mastercard.
Sara

Offline shaun

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 05:16:54 am »
I opened an account in my bank with $100.00 overdraft protection.  I send the debit card to Peggy.  She useses it only when I tell her for exactly the ammount I tell her.   Ooooo.....  I had better check the account right now.  Hehe.   Put money in Thrusday and she still hasn't touched it.   Anyway it costs me $1.25 for each transaction.  The bank also knows to expect it only from the Bank of China and from Shaoguan.  If she goes anywhere else I inform the bank.  It is inexpensive and simple and I can shut the card down anytime I like.  Peggy gets good exchange rates at the Bank of China.

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 06:43:05 am »
Ha , trust the girls here in Melbourne to know , I opened up the site www.etrans.co.nz only to find it is in Chinese , so while it may be cheap it is only for our Chinese population , regards Sujuan and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline neal

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 08:26:33 am »
I used Western Union and used my wife's pinying letters for her name and not rmb went amiss. And to get over the cost I just sent large amounts. That's my suggestion.

Offline Mikael_Shim

• | IT Security Analyst & Consultant | CHiNA |
  • QQ (1494158153)
    • Access any website or service from Within China. 100% anonymously
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 08:39:17 am »
Bank Transfer to Bank Of China (provided the receiver has a BOC account) works fine and pretty fast. You just need the IBAN and Swift Code for the account.

Western Union works fine, although rather high fees. There are no real Western Union offices in China. It is China Post who acts as the WU main agency. Name should be fine if written in English, i have done it. No need to write in pinyin or in Chinese.

Buy a prepaid Debit card both Visa and Mastercard has these. Works without problem in China and you can recharge it online and check statement etc ..

You can also wire money to other banks in China like Construction bank etc but i would only recommend Bank Of China. They are pro and never had a problem with them.
"Just call me Mikkie , thats what all Asians do anyway"

对于世界而言,你是一个人;但是对于某个人,你是他的整个世界

Offline halfpint

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 02:21:13 am »
I think everyone on this site should be prepared to help others in need.  I have just discovered how I can help.  In the future just send me your money, I will make certain it gets to China.  Amazingly, I am prepared to do this at no cost to you.  Just don't ask me what will happen with your money once it gets to China.  Your welcome!
My qin ai de is in Shanghai, and I'm not

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 03:49:35 am »
I think I would do the same as Shaun. I would set up a seperate account and get 2 bank cards to it. (I had a second one for my ex-wife on one account) That way you could put money into the account anytime you wanted to and she would have access to it right away. Yes, sometimes the bank will hold checks you deposit in the machine but if you have been a customer for a while at that bank you might be able to get them to remove the automatic hold put on the check. I did and I have never had them hold a check deposited in the machine. When I was in China I took out 1000 RMB with my bank card and the cost was minimal. I think it was $2.50. I will do this if my fiance needs any financial assistance but so far she has not needed any.

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 11:02:23 pm »
I gave Fiona my ATM card from wells fargo bank to use while I was back in the States. It worked well for her as long as we dont exceed $330 per day. While I wa back in the USA I opened a joint acccount for us and now she has her very own Wells Fargo ATM card. I also made arangements with Wells Fargo to connect my checking account with the Agricutural bank of China account I opened in Guangzhou. I will do a test transfer as soon as bo banks verify the account information. If that works I can move funds back and forth from Wellfargo and ABC online through the internet.
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 05:26:59 pm »
Ok, how did you open a joint account while she is still in China?  She isn't there to sign anything.  That's something I would be interested in doing.  I was thinking about opening a separate account in another bank and mailing her the card to use. 
...as irresistible as chocolate