Author Topic: Sending money to China  (Read 17100 times)

Offline lfputman3

• Don't count the days until, count the days after
Re: Sending money to China
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2011, 03:50:15 pm »
Just a tip for the other Americans and some other individuals around the world, if you have accounts with Chase (J.P. Morgan Chase Bank) anywhere, Chase does international bank to bank transfers in either your currency or the local currency to where you are transferring the funds. So for us Yanks that means we can transfer to BoC, ABC or any other international banking firm in China without those hangups. I thought Wells Fargo also had a similar service, but not totally certain on that.

Lloyd
Better to plunge in and drowned, than sit on the pier wondering.

1744748245@qq.com

Offline Clayton

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2011, 07:35:11 am »
Before my last trip to Shenzhen I opened up a separate account with bank card especially for international travelers, I showed my wife how to use it then left it with her.  Now i simply transfer funds either by phone or on line here and then tell her to go for it, I have complete control over the entire setup, hell that's a change
This is the way to go

Offline shaun

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2011, 07:42:17 am »
Exactly!!!!!!!!!!    ;D

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2011, 10:04:39 am »
Just for info. Any Branch of teh Bank of China outside of China is seperate from the China Mainland ones. 

You get no special arrangement by using them over any other.  I have tried over the past two years.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Clayton

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2011, 07:34:49 pm »
Yeh Vince G,  the account i use is the National Australia Bank Gold card, they recommended it to me for overseas travel, the woman who set it up for me did a little back flip when i told her what it was for but then calmed down when i told her i was leaving it with my wife and that i would only put money in there when Yan needed it, she was cool with that.
Cheers
Leeroy
This is the way to go

Offline shaun

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2011, 08:44:05 pm »
Vince,

I opened another checking account.  My bank has free no frills bank accounts.  Then I sent the debit card to Peggy.  I set the account up so that the bank know that there will be withdrawals from China only.  I put a pin number on it that she would remember.  Then I set it up to flag my email if Peggy tried to take out too much money.  After doing this for 1 year she only takes our what I tell her to take out.  If she had tried to take more out the bank was to reject the transaction.  In face last week it would not let her have the money she was trying to get.  It turns out that the new ATM machine swapped a few buttons.  The button she pushed was telling the bank to take it our of my savings account.  Once we realized what the problems was she got the money I sent to her.  While I am in China I can transfer the money I need into the account and we make withdrawals as needed.

The best part is that it only cost me $1.25 per transaction and Peggy can argue in China for a better exchange rate.  But there has been no need because we only used Bank of China and we get competitive rates every time.  Construction Bank, not the exact name, are a bunch of thieves.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 08:48:01 pm by shaun »

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2011, 11:41:31 pm »
Vince,

I used 2 different bank cards in China at the Bank of China ATM in Guangzhou. (2 different checking accounts) I had no problem using them. I also had no problem with my Visa card and LingLing negotiated the exchange rate at the bank for me. Yeah, I brought cash too. I did not want to get stuck there with no money.

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

• Board Moderator
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2011, 10:54:35 am »
I am on a roll at the moment. Made my 9th and 10th withdrawals from my Visa Debit cards today.  That is a records as normally after 4 or 5 withdrawals I have to telephone the bank in UK to remove the temp block on my card as they fear it is being misused in China.   

The Newly installed  B of China a tmachines took a bit of getting use to. But I miss the Chinese announcement as the new machines speaks to me in English and to my wife in Chinese!  Plus they have removed the option of only going for a maximum of 2500 rmb a time and now you can imput your own amount as long as it is in multiples of 100.

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

• Board Moderator
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2013, 12:19:22 pm »
Well I just check another sevice that allows you to send money online, called FundFone. I think their costs are $19.95 to send one hundred dollars instantly, which actually land in the users bank account.

That looks to meas if it is just for sending to banks inside Australia so no good for sending to bank in China.
Willy
Willy The Lpndoner