Author Topic: I'm going to Chengdu in one month or less .  (Read 10586 times)

Offline seagull

Re: I'm going to Chengdu in a month
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 08:25:23 am »
I have everything sorted for my trip now, flights, accomodation and visa. I have been busy studying for the last few weeks (I study Mandarin Chinese part time) and have finally finished all my exams which means I can now focus on my trip. I have two weekends remaining to go out and buy all the gifts before I leave for Chengdu.

I am not expecting many replies, because this seems to be the hardest subject to answer. But maybe brothers can share what they bought for their ladies on their first visit. I already know about what I will give to her parents (even if I do not meet them). I also know what general gifts I'll be buying (souvenirs from my country, etc). But I also wanted to buy a gift to show my friendship to my lady. The reason is because she has been extremely helpful to me. She will pick me up from the airport, she picked and booked my hotel in a part of the city close to her home so she can take me around easily. She will basically show me everything about Chengdu from tourist sites to local hang outs like tea houses, KTV, dance clubs, etc. I asked her if we can go and see the Leshan Giant Buddha together (and I was worried because she has probably already been there a million times before) and I would book a tour to go there because it is four hours away from Chengdu, but she insisted she would drive us there.

So I want to buy a gift as a token to show my appreciation for her kindness and friendship. She is a 30 year old Chinese woman. Does anyone have any ideas of something nice that such a person would appreciate? I was thinking of something like a necklace (maybe something Australian like opal, but I know little about this, will have to do research). But not something over the top (i.e. not too romantic...not at that stage of the relationship) or but also not too cheap/tacky. Thank you if anyone can share their own experience or has any ideas.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 06:27:39 pm by maxx »

Offline seagull

Re: I'm going to Chengdu in 4 weeks
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 08:37:38 am »
BTW is there a way to change the thread title?

I said I was going to Chengdu in 4 weeks, but it has been longer than that.

I started the thread on 14 March and leave for Chengdu on 17 April. I should change it to "I am going to Chengdu in one month".

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 09:02:19 am »
Seagull , if I remember you live in the west , so 1 thing I would think about taking is a red and white wine from Margaret river or ? , the opal necklace is a great idea , although many of the women do not wear much jewelery for fear of getting mugged and even here my other half never feels the need to wear any , quality moisturisers are always appreciated as are cigs and chocolates , I also found funnily enough in a reject shop some Australian lapel flags and koalas [ 12 or more to a pack ] and they were cheap I bought 3 or 4 packs of each and just gave them out when being introduced , even to the desk girls at the hotel and on our internal flight from shanghai , the air hostesses , in the hotel from then on the service was tops , they were just a fun thing about 3 bucks or less a pack , regards Sujuan and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 09:39:39 am »
Hey Seagull,

I like to tailor my gifts to the people they are going to.  But in general, creams and lotions for the mom are good (make sure you pack them properly in case they burst in transit).  Alcohol is usually good for the father (unless they're not big drinkers)... currency collections are good as well.

Check with your lady (look at previous emails as well for hints), even if indirectly to see if she'll help you out with the gifts.

As for her, it depends.  A necklace is always nice... but make it something meaningful to the two of you.  When I went to visit my lady, I got her three gifts based on some of our early emails and some of the photos she sent me.

Anyway, hope it helps.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 09:41:15 am »
Fiona says perfume, chocolate.
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline seagull

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 09:41:38 am »
Seagull , if I remember you live in the west , so 1 thing I would think about taking is a red and white wine from Margaret river or ? , the opal necklace is a great idea , although many of the women do not wear much jewelery for fear of getting mugged and even here my other half never feels the need to wear any , quality moisturisers are always appreciated as are cigs and chocolates , I also found funnily enough in a reject shop some Australian lapel flags and koalas [ 12 or more to a pack ] and they were cheap I bought 3 or 4 packs of each and just gave them out when being introduced , even to the desk girls at the hotel and on our internal flight from shanghai , the air hostesses , in the hotel from then on the service was tops , they were just a fun thing about 3 bucks or less a pack , regards Sujuan and Robert .

Hi Robert, thanks for your response. I think you mentioned the idea of souvenirs before and that side of things I have already sorted. I am now looking for something specific for the lady, just as a token of thanks for her going out of her way to show me around. But that is a good point about the necklace. Now I will have to reconsider that idea. I have no idea about quality moisturisers and I thought you would be able to get those in China anyway, but this is something I will have to investigate further. This is quite difficult for me, but luckily I have two free weekends coming up before my trip so hopefully this is sufficient time for me to find something decent by then.

Offline seagull

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 09:47:15 am »
Hey Seagull,

I like to tailor my gifts to the people they are going to.  But in general, creams and lotions for the mom are good (make sure you pack them properly in case they burst in transit).  Alcohol is usually good for the father (unless they're not big drinkers)... currency collections are good as well.

Check with your lady (look at previous emails as well for hints), even if indirectly to see if she'll help you out with the gifts.

As for her, it depends.  A necklace is always nice... but make it something meaningful to the two of you.  When I went to visit my lady, I got her three gifts based on some of our early emails and some of the photos she sent me.

Anyway, hope it helps.

Hi Mustfocus, I've already got the gifts for the parents as well as general souvenirs from my country sorted. So now I am looking form something for the lady, just to say thank you for being so kind and going well out of her way to show me around Chengdu. As I am surprised (and also mildly embarassed, if that is the appropriate word) by how much she is going to do for me.

Unfortunately her e-mails do not give any indication of what she would like. I will re-read them to see if there are any hints, but I don't think there will be. We have never really talk about material things. I'll just have to walk around the shops on the weekend and hope a good idea arises in my brain I think! Thank you for your advice.

Offline seagull

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 09:50:42 am »
Fiona says perfume, chocolate.

Hi Pineau, I'll definitely be bringing some chocolate. I have no clue what type of perfume she would like so I am hesitant to buy this. However, I may have to go with this option if I have no other ideas! Cheers.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 10:54:17 am »
Bring a picture book (ie:tourist book) from your own country that has chinese script in it. Most airport book stores cater to tourists and should have it. Also some small native art such as wind chimes as a good choice. I remember bringing some native Indian dream catchers as gifts and explaining the meaning behind them.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 04:05:39 pm »
Seagull

Quality moisturisers and cosmetics are available in China...but very, very, expensive with taxes and duty that are loaded on....they are way beyond anything that the average woman can afford.  So anything from the recognised brands (Chanel, Guerlain, Estee Lauder...etc etc) will be vastly appreciated. Can get them at good price in Duty Free airport shops on the way through.

I also bought Ming a small gold Kangaroo on a fine chain..she wears it 24/7 and it was very much appreciated...personal AND Australian. You can get these in any local jewellery shop..Mazzuchelis, Goldmark etc.

Also, have a look at the Australiana souvenier shop at Carousel...got heaps of good stuff.

Of course...you could take her a Didgeridoo.......!!!!!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 04:12:54 pm by David E »

Arnold

Re: I'm going to Chengdu in one month or less .
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2011, 06:41:18 pm »
Seagull , I found out .. these Women love the Natural Body Lotion ( like Perlier or simular ) Hand Lotion , Foot Lotion .. as long it's Natural . Everybody love the Honey smell .

PS: Changed your Title .

Offline auburnkp

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 09:13:37 pm »
Hey Seagull,
My wife is from Chengdu and is 30 years old too. She says all her friends like the Chanel Chance perfume in the pink box (bottle inside is round). They also like moisturizers such as Estee Lauder and Sheisido. Good luck and Have fun!
AuburnKP

Offline halfpint

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011, 02:21:27 am »
Seagull

Just read this thread, love it.  I met my girlfriend after knowing her online for less than 3 months.  It has turned out great, we have a very good relationship.  I visited her in Shanghai, then she came to see me in Canada.  When I went I took her a necklace.  A simple one, but made by a local artist, she really liked it.  Also took her and her son a few other things that had some meaning from our conversations.  Nothing fancy, but she loved it all.  Keep it simple and try to have some meaning attached to it.

Wrap your gifts well.  The wrapping counts!

Enjoy your experience.  Treat your lady with respect, you sound like the kind of guy that will do that very well.  I enjoyed every day I was there and cant wait to go back again.  I hope you have the same experience.

Alan
My qin ai de is in Shanghai, and I'm not

Offline seagull

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 07:27:15 am »
Seagull

Quality moisturisers and cosmetics are available in China...but very, very, expensive with taxes and duty that are loaded on....they are way beyond anything that the average woman can afford.  So anything from the recognised brands (Chanel, Guerlain, Estee Lauder...etc etc) will be vastly appreciated. Can get them at good price in Duty Free airport shops on the way through.

I also bought Ming a small gold Kangaroo on a fine chain..she wears it 24/7 and it was very much appreciated...personal AND Australian. You can get these in any local jewellery shop..Mazzuchelis, Goldmark etc.

Also, have a look at the Australiana souvenier shop at Carousel...got heaps of good stuff.

Of course...you could take her a Didgeridoo.......!!!!!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D
Hey Seagull,
My wife is from Chengdu and is 30 years old too. She says all her friends like the Chanel Chance perfume in the pink box (bottle inside is round). They also like moisturizers such as Estee Lauder and Sheisido. Good luck and Have fun!
Seagull , I found out .. these Women love the Natural Body Lotion ( like Perlier or simular ) Hand Lotion , Foot Lotion .. as long it's Natural . Everybody love the Honey smell .

PS: Changed your Title .
Bring a picture book (ie:tourist book) from your own country that has chinese script in it. Most airport book stores cater to tourists and should have it. Also some small native art such as wind chimes as a good choice. I remember bringing some native Indian dream catchers as gifts and explaining the meaning behind them.

Wow, thanks everyone! These replies have been very helpful! David E, I like your suggestion of the gold kangaroo and will go for a look around for something like that. And I will make a note of these creams/moisturisers, this sounds like something you can't go wrong with. I like all of these specific suggestions, now I have something to work with when I go shopping this weekend.

And cheers for changing the title, Arnold, even if that was a bit pedantic of me.  :)

Offline seagull

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2011, 07:30:42 am »
Seagull

Just read this thread, love it.  I met my girlfriend after knowing her online for less than 3 months.  It has turned out great, we have a very good relationship.  I visited her in Shanghai, then she came to see me in Canada.  When I went I took her a necklace.  A simple one, but made by a local artist, she really liked it.  Also took her and her son a few other things that had some meaning from our conversations.  Nothing fancy, but she loved it all.  Keep it simple and try to have some meaning attached to it.

Wrap your gifts well.  The wrapping counts!

Enjoy your experience.  Treat your lady with respect, you sound like the kind of guy that will do that very well.  I enjoyed every day I was there and cant wait to go back again.  I hope you have the same experience.

Alan

Damn, just when I was feeling good about things, Half Pint has to mention wrapping gifts. This is where I will fail, ha ha. I also read your thread and found it interesting, as I don't think that scenario has happened to a member here before (e.g. the lady visiting you in your country). Best of luck with your romance and cheers for the words of encouragement.