Author Topic: Easy question. Well......should be  (Read 4093 times)

Offline neal

Re: Easy question. Well......should be
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 09:18:57 am »
I was married in Changsha on February 21st this year. The wedding fee is 409 rmb, Willy is right about the sweets and cigarettes another 450 rmb [which had to be mainly given to the guards at the gate, the marriage bureau staff graciously refused until we insisted], and the shuttle bus from the airport to the Airport Hotel by the train station is now 20 rmb. By the way we had to go away and get my non-impediment document translated 200 rmb, and when we returned we were ushered straight to the front of the queue, so it pays to hand out the cigs! Hope this updates a few facts.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Re: Easy question. Well......should be
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 10:20:39 pm »
No hesitation from the marriage office staff in taking my ciggies and candies.  Refused the photos we had previously had taken and took us to the adjoining Camera room for another set. But only 20 rmb I think was added to the bill. Why does it take so many staff to man the desks?  I person had the job of attaching your photo to the Red Book.  Two had the job of checking the details - but there are still a couple of errors in our books.

I was fortunate in that prior to marriage I had been living here for more than 6 months.  Therefore I was able to get all the paperwork I needed in one visit to the British Consulate in Guangzhou.  Everything supplied was already translated into Chinese.

But you have to have been in the country for more than 21 days for this to work for you.  After applying you can always leave China and the ensuing completed paper requirements can be delivered to your intended and will be there for your return to marry.  But papers only valid for 6 months from date of issue.

This applies to UK citizens.

A Wedding Shop does everything here.    Maybe I should add a Chinese Wedding Suppliers section to the UK Wedding Suppliers Service Guide that we are compiling?   
(Just to get a plug in it is at  http://www.theukweddingguide.com  )

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,