Author Topic: chinese fonts in PDF  (Read 13910 times)

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
chinese fonts in PDF
« on: March 21, 2011, 03:30:28 am »
Ok, I consider myself a computer guy.  I can figure anything out given enough time and an internet connection.  Unfortunately, this one has me baffled.  Adobe can bite my ass.

I'm trying to fill out some PDF forms (which can't save the data, can only be printed - how stupid).  Anyways, I installed the language packs for adobe acrobat and I have the chinese language packs installed on my computer.  I can display chinese characters, I can <alt><shift> to type chinese characters.  But when I type a chinese character in the PDF, they display wrong - only half the character displays in the form.  Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?  I'll include a picture:

...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Neil

Re: chinese fonts in PDF
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 03:31:21 am »
it does the same thing when I copy/paste chinese characters as well.

Offline Neil

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 04:11:37 am »
Well, I figured it out after all.  I'll leave this post up since it might help someone else.  Adobe really can bite my ass.  I downloaded Foxit Software's pdf reader.  It allows me to save forms that are filled out, fonts display properly, it's quick and painless. 

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/addons.php

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 04:27:39 am »
I have had the same problem.  I sort of cheated. I printed the Chinese text on a seperate piece of paper and cut it out with a pair of scissors and taped it into place with 3m transparent tape.  It is clumbsy but it worked.
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 04:37:49 am »
Hey Neil,

I think you might be missing something.  I just checked and I have no problem.  I downloaded the visa application form from the Chinese embassy and did a quick test.

Just a few things:

Chinese in the language bar should be Chinese (PRC) and in Adobe reader, it should be the simplified chinese language pack.  Not sure if you have the traditional chinese pack or use chinese (TW)...

梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Neil

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 02:18:38 pm »
I think it was just a messed up adobe install.  I installed all the fonts once I started having troubles, even Korean.  Adobe's junk.  Foxit is working great for me.

Offline Lain

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 02:52:00 am »
I have the same form in PDF as you , and have no problem with tying Chinese in the form....ah , well to be honest my girlfriend has not problem....I cant type in Chinese yet... ???

This is most likely a setting in your PC's language configuration? As noted you should use the PRC Chinese option and make sure that it not only does the language change , but the keyboard configuration. I have the Chinese version of QQ installed on my computer now , and one very sweet feature is that it has a language pack for the computer which is vastly superior to the default MicroShaft pinyin.

The reason the PDF for m does not "save" data is to protect the contents of your information on the form. Trust me, this is a good thing given that the PDF reader is the second most exploited plugin for ALL computers in the world , just after the Flash Player.

Offline lfputman3

• Don't count the days until, count the days after
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 08:39:52 pm »
If you are using Windows 7 there is an obnoxious problem that occurs in Adobe and with the Chinese MUI language pack if you do not have the professional versions. I have issues with Adobe and Chinese, checked with a couple of techs back home. Pretty much stated, I can upgrade, but other than that,it's another PDF program, which you done, or I set up a "trace" table. She laugh when she found out...
Better to plunge in and drowned, than sit on the pier wondering.

1744748245@qq.com

Offline Jimmy

• Soon the Family will be Complete.
  • She Was A Wonderful Wife
    • Jim N Libo
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 01:46:07 pm »
I have had the same problem.  I sort of cheated. I printed the Chinese text on a seperate piece of paper and cut it out with a pair of scissors and taped it into place with 3m transparent tape.  It is clumbsy but it worked.

It is amazing what a guy can do with some tape and sissors.
And the Clone tool in Photoshop is also pretty cool to fix a document.
Jimmy Henson