Author Topic: Beijing? Brothers and Other(s questions I have)  (Read 7679 times)

Offline mustfocus

Re: Beijing? Brothers and Other(s questions I have)
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 04:38:27 pm »
Axiom:

Pineau means Hong Qiao market (it's a big building just outside the entrance to the Temple of Heaven ... aka Tian Tan).  I have a photo of it somewhere.  I don't think it's that bad (I got a few nice pearl necklaces from there that are still quite nice), but you do have to be careful (but that's true anywhere).
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline sara

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 06:24:22 pm »
   It's my pleasure that i would help you everything that i can in beijing. i would try to tell you how to live and work comfortable in beijing, include  how to understand the chinese, travel and eat if you need.
   i was born in the north of china, and i had worked in guangzhou over 20 years old before Aug 2010.  i travelled a lot in china and i met a lot of nice people who help me in my life, include guys here so i wish i would do some nice thing for all you. but yo know my English is not good so you would be more patient and make sure what i say if you ask me questions ;).
Sara

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 10:27:28 pm »
Mustfocus,  Yes that is the one. Just outside the walls of the Temple of heaven. I didn't even go into the jewelry section or the knock off leather goods section. I spent all my time in the electronics section. It is truly knock off central. Everything has the correct logos and packaging but when you get it back to the hotel and open it up you will find that is was made in China or elsewhere in Asia. The flash drives are terrible quality and full of defective sectors and all the ones that I purchased (4) were preloaded with computer virus software.  They also have some sort of trick to make disk drives appear to have twice the actual capacity. If you reformat them (to remove the virus) you find they are half the size of the one you bought. I bought an iphone, ipad, a Sony netbook, and some spare batteries for my phone and camera. They all turned out to be knockoffs. All but the netbook have ended up in the trash. The battery in the netbook is only good for about 1.5 hours.

The jewelry my be of good quality and actually genuine but after my experience with the electronics I would not take the chance.  Here are some reviews from other visitors. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294212-d321012-Reviews-Pearl_Market_Hongqiao_Market-Beijing.html

As for Sherry and Amanda. I am certain they are a team of cons. Two days of hanging out, seeing a few tourist sites, drinking beer (they drank tea and wine), playing Foosball and pool was the most expensive two days of my life.  I have been hustled for drinks before in my younger days and thought I knew all the scams but these two are good. Great personalities, funny, are fun to hang out with. I wish I had figured it out sooner. I was paying several hundred dollars for a POT OF TEA and near one thousand for a bottle of wine. I tried to dispute the extravagant charges with my credit card company and they said no. The also said they get these type of disputes every day from business men in Beijing and other cities, who thought they were having a normal night out when they were really paying extravagant prices for wine and tea. Needless to say that is the last I saw of them but I there are many of these scams being perpetrated all over Beijing. My advice READ THE CREDITCARD SLIP before you sign it, don't carry a high limit credit card or better yet pay cash for everything. And get this. one time Sherry asked to see my camera. I thought she was looking at all the photos we had taken of places we visited. But what she was doing was deleting her and Amanda's photos. I learned my lesson. It cost me a little over $11,000.
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline Axiom

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 10:44:29 pm »
okay... the Hong Qiao market statements made me  think of a few other things I wanted to ask about. Haggling. I read it is an important skill in China... as one who never haggled, any ideas for how to guage the worth of something? I know thats a vauge statement, but i am just curious if I do something like buy a shirt.. Would I start at 1 rmb and go from there? will they get offended and boot me out of the shop?

Do you have to haggle for EVERYTHING? whats it like grocery shopping? is it like in western countries where i go to a supermarket and grab some stuff and wait in a check out line? If not, what is it like? (I got curious about this since if I stay in China for any amount of time... I will probably need to eat sooner or later :P )

Dont ask me how this popped into my head, but does anyone know how to switch from English on an US keyboard to chinese characters (on Windows 7)? I have tried this a few times now and bring up the language task bar, switch it to chinese characters.. but when I try to type.. it is still English. Grrr. grrr. gr.....

Any help with that would be awesome.

Sara: if you are able to help me with my newb-ness around China, the least I can do is be decent enough to be patient with your English!

Pineau: $11,000!!?!?!?!? Seriously? Yowie zowie Batman. Thats painful just to read, can't imagine how bad it was to live through. Well, I dont have any plans to buy a lot of Jewelry :P But I will sterr clear for the electronics stuff... thanks for the tip.

Offline Pineau

• Youtube
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 11:22:43 pm »
Yes, seriously. I mean, there is some value in getting to hang out with two lovely, silly fun-loving ladies that speak good English and are native to Beijing. They know all the sites and can show you around find you a good steak and take you shopping. I had a great time with them but I don't think I got $11,000 worth.

As far a haggling. It's fun but I'm no good at it. I make an offer, they will counter, I will cave in and pay and leave. I feel good because I didn't pay the asking price and they feel even better because they got double what it is worth. sort of win-win. 

I don't haggle in supermarkets or chain stores but I will just about everywhere else. I got 2000 yuan off of Fiona's wedding ring just by walking across the isle and heading to another vendor.

There are a lot of sidewalk vendors and shops that open directly on the sidewalk. Most of these will haggle with you. It all depends on the merchant. It doesn't hurt to try. You never know. I got a Doctor once to wave my insurance deductable just by asking if he would.

Using the language bar was a mystery to me for a long time. Along with selecting Chinese you also need to pick the input method you will be using. Pinyin, Quanpin, etc.  I have gotton to where I don't use it at all. I just type in English and translate it to Chinese using one of the popular translators. For me it is much faster than trying to remember pinyin.
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.

Offline sara

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 12:52:06 am »
    People will retired and get their retired salary (退休金) when they get 50 or 55 year old for ladies and 60 years old for man. in China.
    In Guangzhou you will get your 退休金if you work over 15 years and your company and you would pay the fee of your pension account (退休帐户). You wouldn’t get your 退休金 if your company wouldn’t pay the money for your pension account in Guangzhou. my parents have thier 退休金 about 4000yuan/month for each one.
Sara

Offline sara

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 12:57:48 am »
    i am sorry that i paste it the wrong place ;) ;).
Sara

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 05:11:27 am »
Axiom:

You usually haggle at flea market type places.  If it's a proper store, you can ask, but 99% of the time, you won't get.  Places like Hong Qiao or New Silk Street Mall are places where you might haggle.  But Carforre (sorry, can't spell it....we don't have those here in the big smoke) you don't.

I would suggest you start at half the quoted value or maybe 2/3 of what you're willing to pay.  Then counter offer 2-3 times....that should get you to where you want to be in terms of haggling..... I suck at it (I'm not going to haggle to the last RMB when I could be spending the time more productively)....

As for using your CC, just use your common sense.  If the place is dodgy, don't pay by CC.... When I was in BJ last, I only used my CC at the hotel, the airport and at a high end watch store...oh and a big name department store....

梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Axiom

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 08:06:49 pm »
Pineau: IOkay thats good to know. Id hate to go shopping, forget something and then have to run back to the store... only to have to haggle again for something like some salt or a stick of butter or whatever.

Yeah, this toggle bar isnt working its kind of frustrating and want to give up.. but I really want to learn how to write/type chinese. So I think it would help immensely... so i will keep finding a way to use it  >:(

Sara: Hahahaha! dont worry about it! Everyone makes mistakes. Besides, the information you posted was informative :)

mustfocus: More good advice.

Okay, on to my NEXT question (anyone bored yet? I have a million questions. So if I start to be a pest just say :D )  My plane ticket starts in Milwaukee, from there I fly to Toronto (on Air Canada), and from Toronto to Beijing.  Now I just have a passport.. I was wondering if I need anything else when I land in Toronto, or even Beijing? I know I need a Visa. But If I dont have a job yet, and dont have a Z visa.. is there another visa I can get in the mean time while looking for work?

Does that make sense?

Offline maxx

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 08:32:01 pm »
You are going to need a tourist visa.There are many sites on Th enternet offering to submit your information to the Chines consulate.They are all about the same price.If you live close to a Chinese consulate you can download a visa application.Fill it out.And then just drop it off.At the Chinese consulate.They will tell you when the visa will be ready.By dropping it off at the nearest Chinese consulate.You can save yourself about 60.00 dollars.If you don't live close to a Chinese consulate.You will have to use a visa service.It will take about 10 days.If you go the cheapest route.If you need the visa in a hurry it can get real expensive real fast.So plan ahead.

Americans don't need a visa to go to Canada.You would not need a visa Evan if your flight had a layover in Korea or Tiawan.Because you are considered a passenger in transit.Which means that you will not be leaving the airport in any of thees countries.So you do not fall under their jurisdiction.Unless you tried to leave the airport.And have a look around.Then you would need a visa.

Paul Todd

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 05:58:56 am »
New Type Of Take Out in Beijing Includes Waiter!

In a city where even McDonald’s delivers to your door, Beijing-based Haidilao has taken “take out” to a whole new level. Where Chinese take out often conjures images of white cardboard boxes, fried rice and chow mein, the experience provided by Haidilao is in a category all its own.

Haidilao, a chain of 53 restaurants specializing in hot pot meals, has taken China by storm. According to Louisa Lim, “Haidilao is more than just a restaurant; it’s a modern Chinese institution. This popular hot pot restaurant feeds more than 10,000 Beijingers a night, with people willing to wait two hours for a table. The lines are so long that the restaurant gives out free Internet access, manicures and shoeshines.”

So what is a hot pot? A divided pot (usually two, sometimes three chambers) with one section full of boiling Szechuan peppercorn-spiced oil and the other with creamy chicken broth. The soup and oil are kept hot, and raw meats and vegetables are cooked at the table on skewers – like fondue meets Mongolian grill. What exactly does Haidilao provide? Everything. The hot pot, the soup, the meat and vegetables — even a trash can, which the delivery man drops off and picks up hours later per your request!

At roughly $10/head (including a $4 delivery fee) not only is this innovative experience convenient, it’s incredibly inexpensive! Want a waiter in your home? Add another $10 and you’ll have table-side service while you eat! Haidilao acknowledges that, for the cost, they don’t make a profit by providing in-home hot pots – but that’s ok with them, they are providing a one-of-a-kind experience that is helping them stay on the cutting edge of the industry.

Just a flavor of the city you will be moving too!

Offline Axiom

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 06:57:43 pm »
Okay. Wouldnt I want to get a Work Visa since I want to find employment there?  Not trying to be difficult, just curious.

Man, Paul. that sounds awesome. I could go for some delievered hotpot right about now.

Everyone gets +1 rep for all their assistance with this. I learned a lot in the past few days.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 07:00:36 pm by Axiom »

Offline Mikael_Shim

• | IT Security Analyst & Consultant | CHiNA |
  • QQ (1494158153)
    • Access any website or service from Within China. 100% anonymously
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 12:27:03 am »
Axiom, hit me up when you get here. Me and my gf lives in Beijing. We can also help you with the visa stuff later if you have problems.

As for the airpollution, i dunno ... i have lived here for 6 months almost now. I think it is FAR over-exaggerated. I have been to cities in eastern europe which are FAR FAR worse when it comes to pollution. The old saying that you never see blue skies here is just bs, i see clear blue sky a lot. Still, the traffic here during rush hours is extreme. It takes a little while getting used to, and the crowded subway. Some foreigners adjust and fit in, i have met others who went with the metro once and then said never EVER again .. lol

Despite being the capital, living in Beijing is cheap. You can get a nice western style apartment for below 2000/month if you can accept living outside of the city (30 mins). As a foreigner they will try to rip you off though, just get in touch with me when you get here and me and my gf can help you with all the "normal" stuff you have to go through.

We order lunch ..... home delivered ... usually its around 16rmb lol. You find yourself wondering who the hell is actually making a profit at those prices.
"Just call me Mikkie , thats what all Asians do anyway"

对于世界而言,你是一个人;但是对于某个人,你是他的整个世界

Offline Pineau

• Youtube
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2011, 08:31:04 am »
Mikael,  I dont want to dispute your experience in Beijing but when I was there in September it rained most every day and when the sun came out the skyes were indeed blue. Very nice infact.  I went for a walk around the olympic stadium and there was not much polution to speak of.

But July was very different. I never ever saw a sky other than a hazy gray. Looking at the olympic stadium from a mile away was like looking throug a dirty window.

Perhaps they have cleaned it up some since my visit in 2006 and perhaps living outside the city makes a difference but Inside Beijing is considered to be the most poluted place on earth.  Maybe it is bs now but back then it was far from bs.

http://www.eworldvu.com/international/2007/10/29/there-are-problems-in-the-air-for-beijing-2008.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/2005/oct/31/china.pollution

Offline Mikael_Shim

• | IT Security Analyst & Consultant | CHiNA |
  • QQ (1494158153)
    • Access any website or service from Within China. 100% anonymously
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2011, 11:19:18 am »
Yeah i know they "say" so hehe. And there are studies who say so too... but im not really buying it. They did do a lot of chemical "treatment" in Beijing to clean up the air... what that really means i guess none but the .cn gov know for sure ;). We live 30 mins outside Beijing city but i spend 8-10 hours in the city at work every day and so far i really havent been very bothered. I have traveled a lot in my life and certainly i can recall a few places in europe that at least both feels and smells horrible compared.

On the other hand, i guess it depends a lot what this pollution really is. There is plenty of toxins that have no smell or visibility that are far more dangerous then a lot of shit that both smells and look foul.

Besides, its not july yet ;) ... hehe. Perhaps i will change my mind when we hit 40+ this summer
"Just call me Mikkie , thats what all Asians do anyway"

对于世界而言,你是一个人;但是对于某个人,你是他的整个世界