Author Topic: Sending money to her  (Read 4554 times)

Offline Wilfred Motosue

Re: Sending money to her
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 01:06:02 am »
thanks MajicBean,
I will try to ask my fiancee if she can find a Western Union. Much cheaper than wiring her money.
wilred

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 08:26:31 am »
As Shaun said get a card that will be accepted in Bank of China atm. 

I use mine and can draw out 2500 rmb a time.  The other banks CCB etc have lower limits to make you use them more often.   Howver having said that about every 6 - 8 weeks I get a no go with one or the other of my two cards from the ATM. I call my bank in UK via skype and the security stop on the card is lifted.

So even though my bank knows I am here and that all transactions are from one of two nearby b of c branches they still get the security stop and tis has been going for for nigh on 22 months now.

I do not mind as I know that the money is fairly safe. 

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 03:36:40 pm »
hello,  I have sent money to my wife in china plenty of times.  The easiest way to send money is through western union.  You only need to give them the country and her name.  Then go on qq or skype and give them the transfer #.  They just go to a bank that has western union and show their id, tell them my name and how much money i sent, and the transfer #.  They can have the money within an hour of sending it.  The fees are cheaper than you think.  If you sent the max $7,000.  it would only cost $28.

Another thing i did was open a bank account here in the states.  When I went to china to visit my wife.  I gave her the bank card.  Now, i can put money in the account anytime and she can go to an ATM and get money.

By the way.  I met my wife on qq.  Not on a dating site.

hope this helps

Dan

I don't know why it would be different, but I sent 500 to my wife via Western Union, and they charged me 50 to do it.  10%.  It's bloody expensive.  I want to set up an account for her that I can deposit into and give her the card, but my bank only opens accounts to Canadian residents.  Damn frustrating. 
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline shaun

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 08:47:53 pm »
Neil,

It is the same here in America.  I opened the account in my name with my Social Security Number.  The card has my name on it.  I told my local bank manager what was going on and he said he would take care of things.  He has done it for almost 2 years now.    I sent Peggy my card with my name on it along with a letter of explanation in English and Chinese notarized in America explaining that she has my permission to used it.   It works fine.  There are limits on the card should it get stolen.  When I was there last June we went to the bank manager at bank she uses.  I introduced myself or Peggy introduced me and we explained to him the card.  He understood and there are not any issues.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 12:40:05 am »
Shaun

I did exactly same as you did. So now I just transfer in some money every month and Ming uses the card to withdraw it...simple and cheap. !!!

Offline Kiwi303

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 04:29:56 am »
Ikobo seems workable. you sign up, pay an initial card issue fee and courier fee and they courier a debit card to the recipient. Once the first big charge of the card issue and the registered, signature required courier fee is out of the way, subsequent uses you just log into the Ikobo website and using your home bank issued credit card or debit card, upload funds to your Ikobo account where the person with the Ikobo debit card (A bog standard Visa Debit) can then withdraw the funds the same as any other Visa Debit card holder using a card issued by any other bank.