Author Topic: Average salary in Wuhan  (Read 7687 times)

Offline Iceland

Average salary in Wuhan
« on: May 06, 2011, 07:13:27 am »
Can I ask you a simple question? As usual, I will reward the owner of the
best answer with a trip around the world, all expenses paid.

What is the average monthly salary in ... let's say ... Wuhan?

I know the answer might not be a simple as the question but I am thinking about
something that would be considered a "decent living" for someone living in Wuhan?
What does a typical clerk in an office earn many Yuans per month for an example?

For another example, does anyone know how much the translators earn per month?

I was told by one Chinese lady who lives and works in Wuhan that 3.000 Yuans
per month would be considered a decent living. Is that correct?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 07:46:37 am by Iceland »

Offline seagull

Re: Average salary in Wuhan
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 08:47:43 am »
When I visited Chengdu, locals said the average salary for an office worker there is 4,000 yuan per month. Like Wuhan, Chengdu is also considered to be a "second tier" Chinese city. So the figure you have for Wuhan is probably not far off.

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 10:44:44 am »
Mr Ice , Wages would seem to vary a lot depending on the company etc,etc , an office worker could be as low as 2000 Yuan a month and many can live a reasonable life with not to many frills on this , the Chinese ladies are generally frugal , and in fact a Chinese English teacher would probably earn about 4000 yuan a month much less than a person from an English speaking country , regards Sujuan and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Mikael_Shim

• | IT Security Analyst & Consultant | CHiNA |
  • QQ (1494158153)
    • Access any website or service from Within China. 100% anonymously
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 11:06:51 am »
The average salary for a chinese citizen in Wuhan is 1.700rmb/month. The Average salary for a chinese citizen in China as a whole is 3.000rmb/month. Official numbers. For a chinese, 3000rmb in Wuhan is probably decent living by chinese standards, not western.. There is a big difference. In Wuhan you can get a fully furnished apartment with all commodities, western style for around 1.500rmb/month. Chinese standards you can get away with 6-800/month. Gas, Electricity and water is very cheap here. You can rent an apartment for as low as 500rmb/month but most westerners would think the standard is far below their criteria. I would say it depends a lot about how much you are willing to adapt and cast your western lifestyle aside.

Here in Beijing, i know people who work fulltime (all kinds of positions) for as low as 1.500rmb/month. I have also met a few that cash in believe it or not 100 - 150.000/month, both chinese and foreigners. Its a whole different world here. You can have a decent living on 3000rmb/month even in Beijing, if u can consider and adapt to chinese lower middle class standards. You just have to learn how and where to buy your stuff and how not to get constantly ripped off. Having a chinese girl by your side will help a lot.

It is not difficult to survive decently in China with very small means of financial aid, but this is up to yourself and your personal(ity) and habits.
"Just call me Mikkie , thats what all Asians do anyway"

对于世界而言,你是一个人;但是对于某个人,你是他的整个世界

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 10:21:19 pm »
Try asking Rachael. (on the members list) she owns a small clothing store in Wuhan.
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline Rachel

• QQ Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 11:12:38 pm »

Hello!
I work in wuhan . Maybe the answer I give can help you.
1:Most Chinese are not rich. Salary can only maintain basic life.
2:According to wuhan city bureau of statistics:Wuhan yuan per capita wage is 2400. This is the government's statistics. But as far as I know. Most common people's wages are between 1000 and 2000.
3:If you work in a governmental unit you will get an endowment for insurance. Medical insurance. Unemployment insurance. There are some government welfare benefits also. So you have 3,000 yuan a month of wages. You really can have a decent life.
4:Some high-end crowd:In the government first work units or foreign enterprise to work white-collar workers.Wages are 5000 - 10000.If engaged in management personnel, salary is close to 100000.
4:You said the translator is engaged in the translation work mean?
5:If you want to wuhan university of education work in English. Pay in 4000-5000 yuan may. This is very high.And the school will provide the housing and some security.But you must meet school standards.
6:I know an American woman in wuhan. Her second class universities teaching English.Every monthly wages 4000 yuan. But school promised package in the United States each year ticket back and forth.This requires you to negotiate with the school.

OK.Hope may give you help! Wish you a happy day!

Rachel

Tao with god

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 11:15:42 pm »
Have a Happy Mother's Day this Sunday Rachel as a mother's salary is priceless  :)
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 04:02:21 am »
Don't you think Rachel wins the all expense paid trip ?
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline Iceland

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 06:14:46 am »
Yes of course Rachel has won the competition. But others came close so I have decided to split the trip between every member in this forum.

Seriously ... I find this information extremely interesting and valuable. I will be in Wuhan in the beginning of November and I look forward to seeing the city with my own eyes.

Thanks again, everyone.

Offline Rachel

• QQ Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 08:07:21 am »
wow.China wuhan welcome you! :)
Tao with god