Author Topic: The Red Envelope  (Read 9145 times)

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
RE: The Red Envelope
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2009, 11:06:26 pm »
I gave my wife's parents 2000 rmb each. Her sister's husband picked up the tab for dinner. It was just a couple of weeks since their new years so I combined the wedding gift with the traditional yearly gift exchange.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Peter

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2009, 10:53:23 am »
I think I will invite Chong too so I can get a very big Red Envelope :D
From Martin I will get one with dumplings in it :D
Better to be married to a wife from Changsha then have 7000 women in Chnlove

Offline victor-hills

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2009, 11:14:52 am »
When i was dateing my lady we spoke about the old red Envelope thing she told me it only a jester so it did not need to be much.
Life is like an onion: You peel it off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep.

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2009, 03:28:48 am »
Well.
I would like to know many things if possible.
I read this thread because it is very interesting, and, for sure, because of the red envelope.
When man maries for the first time, even a 2d time, the red envelope is always "available", so?
In my case, about Ting, if I decide to marry her (if everything would be very fine with her parents), I then should think about a red envelope to give them before the wedding so? I think that's it but if possible to "re"confirm? :blush:
About the amount, it seems that 300-500 $ could be "enough" at first? maybe 440? (as 4+4=8)
Or do you recommend me to see "higher"?
I have to save some money quickly, anyway :)
- Let's Rock -

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2009, 07:32:55 am »
Well, in fact, I don't really understand many things about the red enveloppe...
I have asked to a chinese man who works in Paris and who I spoke about my trip and I asked him many things, as for the red enveloppe.
In fact, I better understand now, but concerning weddings, I always have some "doubts" about the utily of the red enveloppe and who has to give it first...
Well..maybe does my brain has some difficulty to understand so many things...
- Let's Rock -

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2009, 11:25:55 am »
The red envelope is alive and well in my part of the world.  I offered a red envelope or a honeymoon.  She didnt even hesitate she wanted the envelope to Mama. So i told her no honeymoon trip. We just go back to the apt. in Beijing.   It is a very very big thing with her.  I really wanted to go to Hainan Sanyo too.  But, I have to stand my ground also.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2009, 12:33:22 pm »
i know I will have a honeymoon soon...
I stil have some honey at home... :D
'Just have to catch the moon and paint on it with some honey..
but I'm askin' myself if the taste would be good after...
:icon_arrow: if you look for me, I'm out... :D
- Let's Rock -

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2009, 06:05:28 pm »
Quote from: 'mpo4747' pid='8239' dateline='1247421603'

Honey-Moon dessert !!!

Wasn't it "Honey Moon Eh" ... :huh:

(Money Money, remix Abba) :D

****** still outside *****
- Let's Rock -

David5o

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2009, 03:34:57 pm »
There has been a lot of talk about Red Envelopes and when they should be given. Here is my understanding of this widely discussed custom.

Red envelopes are given to the parents of an intended bride, but only if it is her first marriage.  Parents of Divorced ladies, especially with children by another man, do not expect the 2nd husband to give a red envelope. But many will probably give a token gift or money...Face thing!!

Red envelopes are not expected to be given to other family members, but again small token gifts are often given.

Amounts contained in "First" marriage red envelopes ranges from very small amounts, to huge amounts of money, depending on the status (or the self presumed status) of the parents. So beware you guy's with Single ladies, get things sorted before your in too deep... hahaha!!

The above understandings, are taken from more than just a few, local men and women, during my time working in China, across 5 provinces  (which included Shanghai and Biejing). I have during that time attended well over a dozen weddings, mainly of local colleague Chinese Engineers who were working on the same projects as I.  
One of those weddings i attended, was of a NZ friend, that met and married a Divorced lady with a child, (around 9yrs old) Her parents, wanted nothing, they told him that, knowing that there daughter is happy and to be married, is more than they had hoped for after her divorce.  

I myself, will not be expected to give any Red envelopes, when i go back to China for a ceremony early next year. Were actually getting married here in Cyprus around October time. Her parents are again happy that she is happy, and settled.  She doesn't have any children by the way, her first marriage lasted just 3 months, Well , ...of them living together as man and wife anyway!! ..hahaha!!

So there you are, ...I know that these customs differ a little from province to province but not, i don't think to the extent that's been mentioned here. When asking about these red envelopes to my better half, on the postings seen here. She tends to think that the ladies are just trying to help there parents and family out. But she was quite shocked at some of the amounts being mentioned, that some of you have paid, or been asked for. But then laughed , and then said, ...if they want to pay all this money, ...it's OK, i think!! ..hahaha!!

I'm not saying the above is written in stone, but it is my understanding of the numourous personal conversations I've had with the Local Chinese on the subject....

David.....

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2009, 05:41:56 pm »
I have talked to at least 35 to 40 different people all either know Chinese customs, are Chinese or have been involved in this thing.   I know the sum I am giving is way too much.  As a matter of fact at one point I called off the wedding because of it. She of course then said I do not have to give anything. She has not asked me for one thing for herself.  Even now it is all about the family.  Only one red envelope.  But gifts for the family, all eight of them.  Not truly expensive gifts.  Trust me I am not happy about it.  I have asked her to one day, when her English is better, to explain it to me. (I would never ask her to tell someone else and them to explain it to me)   If this is that important to her and if I love her, how can i say no.  Listening to the guys who know here has convinced me of that. I just need to trust her.

Besides I am the one who put myself in this position by even bringing it up in the first place.  Valuable lesson learned, let sleeping dogs lay. lol
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

David5o

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2009, 06:21:43 pm »
Jim,

I know what your saying, that was something else Lucy said to me, but was a bit difficult to explain here. But your right in what you say, she said, best not to bring things up that involves money. As then she maybe, will misunderstand you, and think that your offering money to her parents. Then the dollars sign's just start spinning in front of there eyes.... She laughed, but was still quite serious about it.  The language problem can be a bigger problem than many realise. It can get you in all sorts of s**t

It's a fact unfortunately, but no matter how much you explain to some of these ladies that your not rich, or well off, ...To them "You Are," ...so they start off with figures that they think you can afford, it then comes down to negotiating, the way all Chinese are very adept at .... I'm sure you've seen that for yourself if you've been on a trip to China. hahaha!! The gifts should only be token gifts Jim, the sort of price you would spend on a gift when visiting a family member you haven't seen for sometime.

Trust is something that only comes with time, but initial trust, is all down to life experience and gut feeling ....and that may even involve a leap of faith.

Anyway I'm sure you know what your doing by now, ... Best of luck and wishes to you....

David ......

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2009, 02:06:19 pm »
I am not sure if I have posted anything on this subject, so here is my two pennies worth
I intend talking and asking Keren about it, think about it for a while, then DO WHAT SHE TELLS ME.....lol:angel::icon_biggrin:

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2009, 07:29:10 pm »
4 steps to becoming irresistible: 1) have a shower  2) spray Axe Dark Temptation  3) Never disagree with your girl  4) Reap the benefits.
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Danny

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2009, 09:46:10 pm »
Quote from: 'Scottish_Rob' pid='8717' dateline='1247767579'

I am not sure if I have posted anything on this subject, so here is my two pennies worth
I intend talking and asking Keren about it, think about it for a while, then DO WHAT SHE TELLS ME.....lol:angel::icon_biggrin:

There's a possibility that I will be getting married later in the year. If that was to happen, I think what Rob plans to do is the right way of doing it.

I think you need to make clear to your wife that everything you have belongs to her. I am completely open with my woman about how much I earn and how much I have. If she wants to just give away a large sum to her family then I would just go along with it. It's her money as much as mine. If she hands it away to her family, then it's out of her pocket as much as mine.

When I go into my marriage I go into it with the belief that I am going to be married to her for perhaps the next forty years. I am going to really go for it. I am going to do absolutely everything I can do to make it a success. Whatever it takes. If giving money to her family makes her happy, then that's money well spent in my mind.

I've never cared about money. So long as I have roof over my head, clothes to cover my fugliness, and I have food to eat, that's enough. Anything more is just superfluous.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 09:47:22 pm by Danny »

David5o

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2009, 07:02:12 am »
Danny,

Rather you than me, that's a philosophy fraught with dangers.....

David.....
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 07:05:48 am by David5o »