Author Topic: How many watched his heroics?  (Read 9511 times)

Vince G

Re: How many watched his heroics?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 10:53:05 am »
I still remember not being invited to the Boston Tea Party! 

Man Willy your older then I thought?

I don't think anyone gave mention to this Cowboy? I'm happy to say was before my time ( :-\  somewhat) Gene Autry, America's Favorite Singing Cowboy. Although his signature song was "Back in the Saddle Again" I never related this song to riding a horse.  :o

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 11:04:26 am »
Sorry for the early Birthday Card Willy, as I was planning to use that Tongue-in-cheek on July 4th, but you gave me the perfect set up.  ::)

Anyways I originally put up this thread because I noticed the news about James Arness riding off into the sunset. I see many fans here grew up watching cowboy movies and I bet also reading western books. I would say that my favorite Actor growing up was John Wayne, and I tell people the reason that I joined the Army was too many John Wayne Movies.

Growing up watching Westerns.... but travelling Eastern for romance!
It's a MAd MAd World  :o
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Vince G

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 01:02:44 pm »
When they said Go West Young Man they meant go to the East.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 02:39:45 am »
Thats all well andgGood Vince but for you Americans is it not going West that is fastest way for you to China?

And Rhonald I go Chinese style now. Crutchless pants. ;D

Willy
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 02:42:38 am by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline shaun

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 06:43:05 am »
Gee Willy, what must one country do to get back into your good graces.  I mean all over America we celebrate your birthday, we break out the flags, we drink plenty of beer, and shoot fireworks in your honor.  What more can we do?

Wow, I didn't realize 3 wives.  Maybe that is what had so many people up in arms.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 09:44:26 am »
Gee Willy, what must one country do to get back into your good graces.  I mean all over America we celebrate your birthday, we break out the flags, we drink plenty of beer, and shoot fireworks in your honor.  What more can we do?

Well I thnk I could change for ten cents only. 

That is ten cents from every man, woman and child in the USA.

Do you want to start the collection?

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Vince G

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 10:06:24 am »
I'll put my 2 cents worth in. Most of the people you expect to donate don't have two nickels to rub together. So don't count on it.

Offline shaun

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 12:04:54 pm »
Willy...  I like you...    Your a nice guy...   But collecting money from every American?   Gee...  You might be asking too much.

But Vince has it right.   After they go to Starbucks they don't have 2 nickels to rub together for a donation.

Offline lfputman3

• Don't count the days until, count the days after
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 01:19:06 pm »
When they said Go West Young Man they meant go to the East.

I seem to remember a line in either "The Man from Snowy River" or "Quiqley down under", believe it was snowy river, "They told me go west young man, and I did, all the way to the east!"

I grew up on John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Roy Rogers and Gene Autrey. Dad has a collection of westerns that abnormally disgusting, I haven't heard any titles that are not in there. His new goal is all 172 films that John Wayne appeared in. My collection is Eastwood westerns.  However I have, between my dad and my grandfathers, been subjected to watching anything "western" for tv series and movies my entire life. Some good, some total cheese work, but I always seemed to like those spaghetti westerns.

My grandfather (mom's side) would be upset over the disapproval of Bonanza and little house, but he is a devout Baptist man and approved very much of the roles played by Mr. Langdon, who was a devout bible thumper as well, I do not recall the particular brand, but a devout man he was.

Better to plunge in and drowned, than sit on the pier wondering.

1744748245@qq.com

Offline daghoi

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2011, 04:10:05 am »
As a kid I remember watching his show on TV.

The show "Gunsmoke" was very popular in Norway. It aired prime time on the only (!) tv channel we had back then, so no wonder it was a hit. It also helped that Arness family was of Norwegian origin :)

Another very popular character from Gunsmoke was Festus, for some reason that strange character was very popular. I think he was the most popular character, in Norway,  from the show  ::)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 06:30:17 am by daghoi »

Offline shaun

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2011, 06:16:08 am »
Festus was a popular character.  He came to my hometown quite often with the Rodeo.  He did a little stand up comedy.  He was a pretty funny guy as I remember.

Offline Scottish_Robbie

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 01:00:31 pm »
Jhn Wayne movies for me but also like Audray Murphy, wasn't he a second world war heroor vienam hero?
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" Winston Churchill

Offline maxx

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 07:06:27 pm »
Robbie Audia Murphy was  a WW 2 hero.He tried to sign up for the Marines,Army,And Navy.They all turned him down because he was to short.He went back to the Army recruiter a second time.And they let him sign up.He was the most decorated veteran of WW2 .After the war.He was so famous in the U.S. that he started making movies.If I remember correctly.He was killed in 1976.By a drunk driver.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 09:46:40 pm »
During twenty-seven months in action in the European Theatre he received the Medal of Honor, the U.S. military's highest award for valor, along with 32 additional U.S. and foreign awards (medals, ribbons, citations, badges...) including five awards from France and one from Belgium
Murphy's successful movie career included To Hell and Back (1955), based on his book of the same title (1949). He died in a plane crash in 1971, at age 46, and was interred, with full military honors, in Arlington National Cemetery.

Wikipedia

I remember watching his movies and I read his book while growing up. Maxx I think it was Patton that you got mixed up with as he was involved in a car accident that led to his death. Another favorite of mine T.E. Lawrence also meet his demise in a motorcycle accident.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 09:51:58 pm by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline maxx

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2012, 10:36:56 pm »
Robbie sorry.Rhonald is right.Yes Patton was killed in a car wreck.After his death.There were some people thinking that maybe Patton was assassinated.For his political views.He wanted to keep marching.And take the Soviets out of the picture.I think that is a whole different topic.

My dad was a big John Wayne fan I think he seen everyone of John Wayne's movie.He was also a fan of Louie L'Amour.A famous western writer.My dad did have everyone of his books.And he read all of them at least a half dozen times.I like Clint Eastwood movies better.The Westerns and the dirty Harry movies.I think my favorite Clint eastwood movie is the Outlaw Josey Wales.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:00:45 pm by maxx »