Author Topic: How many watched his heroics?  (Read 9513 times)

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
Re: How many watched his heroics?
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2012, 12:16:44 am »
I love Outlaw Josey Wales (not my favorite but up there) partly because of Chief Dan George ( a real Canadian Chief) words of wisdom and also Josey's tactics. I think right now my favorite of Clint's is Gran Torino. Loved John Wayne movies (got me to join the Army I tell people) and dreamed of entering a story contest to win a chance to meet him but English was frustrating for me at that time.

Back when I was a youngster (wee lad for those across the pond) I think I enjoyed the WWII movie The Devil's Brigade best as it stereotyped the American soldiers compared to the Canadians.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline shaun

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2012, 10:43:16 am »
I am building my collection of DVD Westerns.  I already have the first 5 seasons of Gunsmoke.   I'm collecting John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Robert Duvall, Tom Selleck just to name a few.

I'm also collecting some older war movies.  Just purchased and watched A Bridge Too Far.  I didn't realize what a big cluster fudge that was.

Arnold

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2012, 12:10:35 pm »
I'm also a Western Freak. My favourite Clint movie got to be "The Good,the Bad and the Ugly" and all the other Spaghetti movies with Lee van Cleef.
My John Wayne favourite is "El Dorado" with Robert Mitchum and James Caan.
Nobody mentioned "Bonanza", I liked that even better than "Gunsmoke" & "El Chaparral". Just can't beat those Classic's!

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2012, 03:19:02 pm »
  Just purchased and watched A Bridge Too Far.  I didn't realize what a big cluster fudge that was.
You mean you did not realise that British officers went to war with an umbrella?

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Scottish_Robbie

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2012, 03:58:19 pm »
  Just purchased and watched A Bridge Too Far.  I didn't realize what a big cluster fudge that was.
You mean you did not realise that British officers went to war with an umbrella?

Willy

Safer than those big guns haha unless trying to take an eye out !!! ;D ;D
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" Winston Churchill

Vince G

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2012, 04:34:32 pm »
I have to say, there is a TV station here that plays all the old western shows and movies including many old TV shows. Gunsmoke, Bonanza are on everyday. I was watching some cowboy movie from long ago and it had me laughing so hard tears were running from my eyes. It seems the indian (Native amer) medicine man was into Voodoo?? Cursed the cowboy with a shrunken head as well?? I mean WTF? Such BS we were lead to believe.

Offline shaun

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2012, 06:16:37 pm »
Willy two things you can say about the British Army.  They aren't exactly the best at war but they sure look good doing it.  I just watched War Horse.  Great movie.

Arnold, I am watching The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly right now.  It takes me about 3 nights to watch a movie and I started it last night.

Bonanza is another collection I have began.  My favorite John Wayne is McClintock followed by  El Dorado, Rio Lobo, Cowboys.  I also like The Comancheros which reminds me of Lee Marvin whom I like.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2012, 07:17:33 pm »

Willy

My favorite part of this movie was when he explained why he always carried an umbrella.
Being abridge version, why is the movie so dam long?  :o
The movie is just as long as the Longest day - another great WWII movie
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Scottish_Robbie

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2012, 07:20:03 pm »
I loved the longest day movie

Also all the vietnam war movies
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" Winston Churchill

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2012, 12:07:30 am »
If you're talking REAL War Movies...then ZULU has got to be up there  ;D ;D ;D...has to be a classic, and true too !!!! ( Introduced Michael Caine, supported by Stanley Baker.....two of the best)

The most Victoria Crosses ever won at a single engagement.

Offline maxx

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2012, 12:12:42 am »
Anybody ever seen the Movie the bridge on the river Kwai.I seen it a couple of times.But I was real young.In 2005 I was in Thailand.I went on a  tour of the bridge.I walked threw the cemetery.I walked over the bridge.Took a short boat ride down the Kwai river.Then I took a train ride on the original tracks that  the P.O.W. laied.Up to the trainstation at Hells gate.It was a real history lesson.Probably the best Twenty bucks I ever spent.They had a little Museum there at the bridge.And when I rode the train you could still see parts of the huts.Along the train tracks. that the P.O.W. used.

John Wayne made a couple of movies outside Canon City Colorado.In the old west town of Buckskin Joe's.One of the movies was called the Cowboys.I don't remember what the other movie was called.They made allot of westerns at Buckskin Joe's.All of the Sackett movies,Cat balue.They even made silent pictures there With tom Mix.

About 4 years ago somebody from Cal. bought the town.And tore it down.I don't know what they did with the buildings.I can remember going up to Buckskin Joe's on the weekends.Watching the gunfights.Hanging out in the saloon.And drinking real cheap beer.The best part was setting in the saloon drinking beer.While they were making a movie out in the street.The last movie I know of that they made there was Lightning Jack.staring Paul Hogan.

Arnold I could never get into watching Bonanza.Everytime I started watching it.Somebody would set the map on fire.And I couldn't find my way. ;D

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2012, 04:11:24 am »
I also walked the bridge on the river kwai.  I know its the real deal but I had this image in my head from seeing the movie a half dozen times. It took me by surprise.   I was really surprised when I first saw it. It looks nothing like the bridge the British built.
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline maxx

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2012, 07:45:43 am »
Gerry from what I was told.By the tour guide.The movie was made in the Phillipines.So that wasn't the real bridge in the movie.My tour guide also said that.The movie didn't even come close to showing how brutal the Japanese guards were.Or how bad the working conditions were.

I read a article on the enternet a few years ago.That was written by a American.Who was a P.O.W.That worked  on the bridge and the railroad.He trashed the movie.And the actor who played the British officer.In the movie the British officer was a turncoat who helped and in couraged the Japanese.In real life the British officer was a stand up guy.Who messed with the Japanese army any chance he got.The article went on to say how the British officer helped the other P.O.W.s

What really  surprised me about the tour was the cemetery that we went to.and how many P.O.W died building the bridge and the train tracks.My tour guide said that we were at the biggest cemetery.He also said that there was other cemetery's along the train tracks.That were about half the size of the one we were at.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2012, 12:26:18 pm »
I loved the longest day movie

That was the day I spent with a certain member last weekend.  So glad you enjoyed it. ;D ;D ;D

Willy

But he is a suave bugger when he has had a wash and brush up.
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,