Author Topic: Netflix?  (Read 6062 times)

Offline shaun

Netflix?
« on: July 25, 2011, 11:41:40 am »
I was wondering from you guys who live in China if there is something like Netflix that is easily accessible from a netbook.  What we are looking for are movies that Peggy can watch that can be American made or Chinese made that can be watched in both in Chinese and English with subtitles.

We are wanting to find more tools for her to learn English.  She is doing pretty good but we want to advance that curve a little more.

Oh and before anyone gets their panties in a wad, we want American movies because this is where she will be living. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 11:43:54 am by shaun »

Offline lfputman3

• Don't count the days until, count the days after
Re: Netflix?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 12:50:16 pm »
you can use netflix, but you will need to use a portal. I know Mikkie recommends Astril and that's what I'll be using on my next trip. Because you cannot access netflix directly from China. Make sure you have a really good high speed line though, for any of them.

Lloyd
Better to plunge in and drowned, than sit on the pier wondering.

1744748245@qq.com

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 01:20:57 pm »
Ok, my good friend watches movies all the time online.  My wife uses the same website.  I'll ask them for you.  My wife often watches English movies with Chinese subtitles.  She even watches television episodes.  It's a good resource for at least hearing English.  It's not Netflix - the movies are free to watch. 
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 01:38:14 pm »
Oh and before anyone gets their panties in a wad, we want American movies because this is where she will be living.

I wish I had a Wad (of cash) to afford new panties ...... anyways, whats wrong with Bollywood?  ::)
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline shaun

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 02:04:08 pm »
Rhon I think you've been staring that the middle of the umbrella just a little to long now.  ;D

It doesn't have to be netflix just something easy she can used.  She isn't the most technical person I've met.  Then again neither am I.  ;)

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 02:59:07 pm »
I know our libraries here in Calgary have DVD's that can be loaned out. I don't know if they have that feature in China. Also she might be able to pick up some cheap DVd's of English movies. This way by viewing the same movie a few times, it helps with the retention. I remember watch El Mariachi while learning Spanish. Also some of my Chinese Dvd's have english tracks with chinese subtitles. A friend of mine in China has very good English and he tells me he mainly learned English by watching English movies.

Offline Edwin06

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 03:21:10 pm »
I think you might take a look at TigerCinema as well.

http://www.tigercinema.com/

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 04:16:45 pm »
My good friend Yang told me that she uses 风行.  I did a Google search and found: http://www.funshion.com/download.  It works in China and Canada (I imagine elsewhere as well). 

I haven't talked to my wife yet.  I'll let you know if I find out anything else.  Good luck, I think it's a great idea to watch foreign movies in order to help understand language and culture differences. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:48:22 pm by Neil »
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 06:03:03 pm »
Shaun.
Neil has the answer. Funshion has by far the largest selection of movies I have found. They are for chinese so all of the foreign films have the orignal sound track with Chinese subtitles. It works Here in Guangzhou and back home in Colorado.  Occasionally the soundtrack has been replaced with chinese but almost all have the original sound track. This is exactly how Fiona learned english. By watching American TV with Chinese subtitles.

They not only have movies. They have TV series like friends, CSI an similar.

Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline shaun

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 06:38:39 pm »
This is great guys.  I really appreciate it. 

I am building my collection of DVD's.  I stumbled into a few in a garage sale, I found the first three Indiana Jones movies.  I figure I had better get all of the ones I want before she gets here because as soon as my girls get a hold of her they will have her hooked on musicals and romances.

I'll hand carry her a DVD player for her computer on my next trip.  It just might come before the end of this year.

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 11:09:51 pm »
I had about 300 DVD movies. It was a pain to keep track of them and carry them in the suitcase.  I purchased a terabyte drive for about 125 bucks and ripped all the movies to the drive. Now I had 300 movies that I could carry in my pocket. Here's the rub. None of them had Chinese subtitles. I couldn't get Fiona to watch them because she needed the subtitles to follow the story line. So I deleted them all and now I use it as the download drive for funshion. start a few downloads each night before bed and have the movies on the hard drive in the morning.  Worked out great.
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 11:22:35 pm »
I had about 300 DVD movies.

But was any of them the movie 300?  8)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 02:10:28 am »
When I came here over two years back I brought 25 DVD's with me.  So far I have watch One only so I reckon they will last me for the next 48 years or so at that rate.

You men in China. We know your secret. Pretend your wife is going to learn English. We know the real score. The truth is that you cannot understand Chinese so you want something you understand?

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline shaun

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 08:10:09 am »
Peggy has looked the site over and now tells me that she doesn't have time to watch movies.   So Willy you are correct in that we all long for something to understand.  We certainly don't understand women; even Chinese ones.  This may take a while for her to understand but I won't give up.