Author Topic: Kinda slow around here lately!  (Read 5524 times)

Vince G

Re: Kinda slow around here lately!
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2011, 07:03:13 pm »
ooowwww! I had less stitching on my back after surgery.

Hope your doing better?

Offline shaun

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2011, 07:12:01 pm »
You notice he hasn't said exactly what happened.

I hope at least it was planned surgery rather than a mishap.  I do know that if it was a mishap that hell will freeze over before she will let you near whatever it was.   Gotta love 'em.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2011, 07:42:26 pm »
Hahaha Shaun

I am kinda embarrassed about the nature of my injury..........and mightily pissed off about it as well !!!!

Ming was pestering me to show her one of my radio controlled model helicopters actually flying...

so....because I did not want to treck up to the flying field with a larger model, I dug out a small beast that I have not flown for some time, so I could "show-off" in the back yard.

Being ever prudent and cautious around these dangerous models (they have carbon fibre main blades that go at 2000 rpm) I decided to do a quick run-up check for blade tracking on the patio.

As the motor spooled up, a main blade fractured at the root and came flying off.....I just had time to put my hand up to protect my face (yes, I was wearing safety specs) and so the blade caught me across the back of the hand, neatly severing 4 tendons and 3 major nerves......

To say that the patio looked like an abbatoir is an understatement...but Ming did not panic, she wrapped the whole thing in a clean towel, dashed over the road and asked our neighbor to call an ambulance.

From that point, she has been magnificent, she takes care of me with total dedication and competance...she is fantastic

But I doubt she will let me near a model helicopter for ever again !!!

cheers...David

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2011, 07:51:43 pm »
Ah, accidents happen, nothing to feel embarrassed about there David.  If anything, be glad it was the hand and not the nose.  I'm glad you're healing up and you've got a great nurse. 
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2011, 08:26:27 pm »
Well at least your reactions were good that you used your hand to save your face. But then again, I guess you feel a little embarrassed in losing face over such a weird accident! It is a gruesome picture but I am sure happy it was not more serious. Welcome back David and speedy healing.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline shaun

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2011, 08:48:13 pm »
Absolutely welcome back and a speedy recovery and there is absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about.  They are called accident for a reason.  What would be scary and embarrassing is if it was on purpose.  But I know your are gin great hands being more than well cared for by a loving wife.

Arnold

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2011, 10:55:15 pm »
Does anybody remember Vic Morrow , well with him it was a Real Helicopter that got the best of him way back when . Goes to show , these are NOT Toys by any means .. they may look like it though . I stick to the 4 inch Platic model , even that was always out of Control with me at the Controls . Love to see them in Action , but I can not even close to get them to stay up there for more than 5 seconds . Now that is embarrassing  :-[ .

Vince G

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2011, 11:41:40 pm »
You may have to go back to the Helicopter with a rubber band motor? Safer at least.

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2011, 03:02:40 am »
David E , that sure was a nasty injury and Sujuan and I wish you a speedy recovery , but depending on to whom you are talking you being a Westie could always say that is the way you always catch sharks , but this one was a Great White , with sharper teeth .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Scottish_Robbie

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2011, 07:36:30 am »
Thanks David...and OUCH...I also had an op on my right elbow 2 weeks ago. got to wait another 6 months before op on left elbow (again).

best of luck mate
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" Winston Churchill

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2011, 03:48:26 pm »
Robbie...

It is often said that the true definition of a Gentleman is that he "always takes the weight on his elbows"...(work that one out !!!)

So it seems that you have been too much of a Gentleman somewhere and buggered up your elbows !!!( dont do it on concrete any more)  ;D ;D ;D....maybe its your turn on the bottom......easier on yer elbows..... ;) ;) ;)

David
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 06:14:13 pm by David E »

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2011, 12:25:28 am »

As the motor spooled up, a main blade fractured at the root and came flying off.....I just had time to put my hand up to protect my face (yes, I was wearing safety specs) and so the blade caught me across the back of the hand, neatly severing 4 tendons and 3 major nerves......

I bet she was pleased that it didn't go for  a 'googly to the middle wicket' otherwise you would not be bowling a certain maiden over for many innings. 

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline lfputman3

• Don't count the days until, count the days after
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2011, 02:20:43 am »
I hate to be the one to ask, but actually being a rotorhead (helicopter crewman) in the army for a few years, I have to ask...  Did you forget your preflight? and How long since you've had that one out? Static storage is a helicopters worst enemy, toy or real.  and before anyone makes a comment on 'static' that would be an aviation term for 'collecting dust'

good job taking in the arm instead of the face, I doubt the face would have healed as well, I seem to remember those blades like to shatter and have a 'shotgun' effect on the face...
Better to plunge in and drowned, than sit on the pier wondering.

1744748245@qq.com