Author Topic: Re: Need suggestions for learning or communicating in Chinese  (Read 4554 times)

Arnold

While Chong's book was great, if there was something out there that actually gave the tones, it would help a lot in learning the language.[/quote]

Martin , I bought the Franklin's Speaking Global Translator , it speaks 12 languages , including Mandarin chinese . ( $ 225 US )
It not only speaks but it also gives you the character's with it , like show and tell at the same time .
It has many sentences build in for many different Situations that might come up . But , maybe it's me not knowing this ? How to put in your own words and have that translated . I have try'd many time , could not get it done . So , I'm not sure if it will or can do that ? Otherwise it's great . Go to the Frankin site and check it out .

Offline Oiler1

Need suggestions for learning or communicating in Chinese
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 03:48:00 pm »
I am trying to learn more Mandarin but it is tough and sometimes I am not dedicated enough. I thought about getting an electronic translator to bring over there. At the very least can someone also recommend a phrasebook and dictionary?

I need to find resources to bridge the communications barrier. Recommendations and thoughts please.

Chong

Re: Need suggestions for learning or communicating in Chinese
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 05:46:46 pm »
Barron's Mandarin Phrase Book .... under $ 10.00, pocket-sized and it has Chinese Characters you could point to ... as a last resort !!!! hehehe  :evil:

Arnold

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 02:30:46 am »
For a western Man / Woman to really learn chinese , you need to take Classes for it . To learn the sound's out of a Book is pretty much out of the question . Classes and being under chinese People to practise it on , is really the only way , we will ever learn the Basic's . Forget fluently along with all the character's . We would only kidd ourself's , to ever learn it all . I would say , let your Lady help you , by sending you sentences with each letter and you memorize them , before going on to the next , and so on .

Offline Danny

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 05:33:46 am »
It's really hard. It's harder than learning two languages like Italian and German at the same time. There's no easy way to learn it.

Probably the best thing I can suggest is that you have to have a good reason for learning it. If it's part of your day to day communication with your woman then it becomes less of a chore.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 06:23:48 am »
I cannot recommend Pimsluer Mandarin highly enough, I have little natural language ability  (I work in tech) and am finding it great, progress is slow, but there is progress!
Its pretty expensive but I'm told there are torrents out there for it..not that I or chnlove.info its mods and admins etc condone that kind of thing.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 06:29:39 am »
There is a web site called mandarintube.com that give lessons that use videos. Also in youtube just search for mandarin lessons and you can get a good selection of basic level stuff to get started and hear the proper intonations.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Vince G

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 07:56:09 am »
I myself? I'm looking for a class to attend. Even with learning a few words off a program, it may sound correct to me but how does it really sound? Don't want to find out after it's to late.  :roll:

Offline Hans

• Once you go Asian you never go Caucasian
    • http://motpol.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 08:59:21 am »
Like Arnold I recommend taking classes if you are really interested in learning the language, not just learn a few phrases. It takes dedication, but Mandarin is not harder to learn than any other language. It is just different. Finding short cuts may get you through a short stay in China, being able to order some food or greet people but it won't give you an understanding of the strcuture of the language, the characters and the extreme importance of the tones and thus it will not work in the long run. You need a teacher to correct your mistakes because to someone who speaks Mandarin it is so obvious when you are using the wrong tone while it may be hard for a newbie to hear it (and the tones change depending on which tone that follows or precedes it etc). Using the wrong tone is like using a completely wrong word.

I just regret not having studied Mandarin before I visited China (as a tourist) because it would have made things so much easier. But it's never too late.  8-)

Offline Jadams79

• http://www.myspace.com/norric_mitori
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 10:20:10 pm »
Want to know if your vocalization sounds correct, cheap MP3 player and record yourself talking while listening to a language tape, then compair, then call your girl and have her laugh at you  err with you ^_^
Can't fix stupid.

Martin

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 10:13:52 am »
Oiler already asked this in his question, but I will ask again...is there an electronic pocket translator that talks in Mandarin?

Zhifang had her translator, but it only spoke in English, so when we would ride the train, she would practice with it.  I wanted to find something similar that actually spoke in Mandarin.

While Chong's book was great, if there was something out there that actually gave the tones, it would help a lot in learning the language.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 10:29:31 am »
Martin, I will ask my girl - I could be wrong but I believe her pocket translator spoke in both languages.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Philip

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 12:54:16 pm »
Hi Martin,
my Besta CD 869 speaks Mandarin words or phrases at me after I have found the written translation in Mandarin and Pinyin. ($300 from Ebay) Nice bit of kit.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 04:42:22 pm »
Martin - http://www.pleco.com/products.html
I got a Htc Tytn 2 phone on ebay and it speaks the language, has character recognition, and when I go back there I'll stick my China Mobile sim in and call Ling and...
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline RC Campbell

• Alive and well, living in China now!!!.....
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 03:58:31 pm »
..There are a lot of programs out there, and many get good reviews.....

..I was lucky, on my first visit to Chengdu, I went to a electronics mall with a translator from the ChnLove agency, and found the electric dictionary, that was easy to use and it speaks both english for her and Mandarin for me to pratice.....After I found the one I liked, and I was able to get three of the vendors to bid against each other, I told them I would buy 2 units and pay cash, and bottom line I bought 2 translators, for about $175.00 American....The starting price was more than $500.00.....
I do not know the name brand because the box and the instructions and everything is in chinese but the model # is (V660)
I had one set to chinese for her and one set to translate english for me...They come with charger and everything, and has a battery as big as my cell phone.......

..About three months before my first trip to China, I signed up for the Rosetta Stone Language learning system, everyone told me it was too expensive, but instead of buying the program I signed up for the online course,as a currant subscriber, I can logon to the site and pratice anytime or anywhere, and the program teaches the tones and you speak into the headset and the program tells you if you say it right or wrong.....And the price is not that bad if you sign up this way.....

..I have skype so when, I will chat online with my sisters, and call them with skype, and they will teach me how to say what I type in english, And I will teach them how to say what is typed in english.....It is a great way to learn and easier to misspeak with a sister than with a lover.....

..Just remember...Where there is a will there is a way.....And keep looking at the reward you will get, for all the work you put into learning a new way to comminucate with the new family you will have.....Just find what works for you and don't give up......
RC
The Cowboy in China.......
Loving Life Everyday.....