Author Topic: Getting ready for my first trip to China ...  (Read 14098 times)

Vince G

Re: Getting ready for my first trip to China ...
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2012, 09:24:08 am »
Down here you can tell the tourists (mostly Canadians) from the clothes worn. It's almost a were's Waldo. Many are bundled up like it's at 0 degrees out and others are in shorts a T shirt and flip flops? It's not without saying I have been in the minus zero weather before, (I've skied Whiteface) I just rather not again.

Arnold

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2012, 11:14:57 am »
Down here you can tell the tourists (mostly Canadians) from the clothes worn. It's almost a were's Waldo. Many are bundled up like it's at 0 degrees out and others are in shorts a T shirt and flip flops? It's not without saying I have been in the minus zero weather before, (I've skied Whiteface) I just rather not again.

I used to go Fishing at Whiteface Mountain, my Uncle's parents had a Cabin up there. Lovely place, but never been there in the Winter. I'm German, but I also don't like to be frozen solid.

Vince G

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2012, 12:16:47 pm »
I first was up there somewhere around winter 77 or 78? Drove my Mustang up which was basically a race car on the street. The further I went up there the weirder the car was running. Got into Lake Placid the destination at a bar and went outside to check the car for any problems. It was -10 F without the wind. A guy from the bar came out (Jim, worked for the Ford dealer up there) and asked if I needed help? I said no I got it and then he looked under the hood. Surprise! Well I made a few friends and got to know allot of people and kept going up a few years summers too. Still get in touch with them every so often. Oh and the car trouble? Thinner air. Carb couldn't get enough.

We might have crossed paths and didn't even know it?

Arnold

« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2012, 12:45:01 pm »

We might have crossed paths and didn't even know it?

Maybe Vince ? I was up there a few times ( also Schroon Lake ), but that was between '69-'73.
I tell you something funny at Schroon Lake , gone fishing with a Boat .. when I got a hit by something big ( didn't hook it though. But what happened, was they "it" took my Pole with it! I wasn't watching to closely and before I knew it .. sappo it was in the Lake. The funny story about this, is that the water was so clear .. I could see it at the bottom. So went to shore and got my other Pole and actually used that one to hook my other sunken Pole. Does that make me a good Fisherman or an Idiot for loosing it? haha

Vince G

« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2012, 04:53:27 pm »
I think it makes you a Hooker? I'm kidding just kidding

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2012, 08:59:45 pm »
I have to confess that I have committed a major indiscretion.I have succombed to running an electric heater all morning.

How do I explain the warmth in this place when my wife returns? 

This is the coldest that I have ever felt here and I just cannot work on computer wearing two outdoor coats and two pairs of trousers and two sweaters and snow gloves make hitting the right keys very difficult.

Living Chinese has certainly gone by the board until this weather warms up!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Scottish_Robbie

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2012, 09:24:51 pm »
think of arnold being a hooker that shoukld make you warm up   lol :D :D
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" Winston Churchill

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2012, 12:04:21 am »
I have to confess that I have committed a major indiscretion.I have succombed to running an electric heater all morning.

How do I explain the warmth in this place when my wife returns? 

This is the coldest that I have ever felt here and I just cannot work on computer wearing two outdoor coats and two pairs of trousers and two sweaters and snow gloves make hitting the right keys very difficult.

Living Chinese has certainly gone by the board until this weather warms up!

Willy

Right now we would swop you Willy...

Ming is totally blasted by 40 degree heat, she never believed it was possible to be so hot !!!  She would go outside to cook and egg on the pavement and take a photo to send back to the rellies......, but is scared she would die before it is cooked....and of course, you know the Chinese Woman's aversion to sun- tans...so she goes out looking like an Arab Lady in her Burka...so funny  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Scottish_Robbie

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2012, 03:20:04 am »

....  She would go outside to cook and egg on the pavement and take a photo to send back to the rellies......, but is scared she would die before it is cooked....

Just one question..How did she learn about cooking eggs on the pavement?? ??? ??? :-X  Is that a Welsh thing?
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" Winston Churchill

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2012, 04:53:50 am »
Robbie....Welsh people dont eat eggs...only Leeks and lumps of coal !!!!

I happened to say (Aussie language ) to Ming the other day.."WOW it's hot enough to cook an egg on the pavement today"...and she believed me  ;D ;D ;D...(as they do)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2012, 06:30:52 am »

Right now we would swop you Willy...

Ming is totally blasted by 40 degree heat, she never believed it was possible to be so hot !!!  She would go outside to cook and egg on the pavement and take a photo to send back to the rellies......, but is scared she would die before it is cooked....and of course, you know the Chinese Woman's aversion to sun- tans...so she goes out looking like an Arab Lady in her Burka...so funny  ;D ;D ;D

Seems like it is not just Aussie weather that has warmed up.  What are the Aussie Xl on. They have certainly improved.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Scottish_Robbie

« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2012, 08:48:17 am »
hahahaha

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2012, 08:50:49 am »
Very simple Willy , they were heading for the unemployment queue , so they , well most of them pulled their collective fingers out .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info