Author Topic: Tourist Visa  (Read 6083 times)

Offline Jim

Tourist Visa
« on: October 26, 2011, 07:40:42 pm »
Everyone has said that a spouse cannot get a tourist visa, so we did not apply for a long time.  Finally my wife said she wanted to try. Lo and behold today she went for her interview and received her pink paper. So much for what everyone says. It is good for a year, multiple visits.  Now we can start getting her spousal visa.  She said the Questions were:  Why did she want to come to the US.  How long did she plan on staying, how long have we been married and did we start the proceedings for a spouse visa.  She showed him the letter of invitation and support that I had sent her.  These letters I copied from the Govt website.  That is it. She went to the Beijing embassy.  So, now you know to try. To heck what anyone else says. 

Vince G

Re: Tourist Visa
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 11:23:08 pm »
Everyone has said that a spouse cannot get a tourist visa

Most said it was near impossible for a chinese woman to travel solo to the US on a tourist visa. Most can not make the requirement. What was the requirements?

Offline maxx

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 12:00:53 am »
Congratulations Jim to you and your wife.You and your wife are the only couple Ive ever heard of who has ever got a tourist visa.To the U.S.This is something to be real proud of.I think this is a bigger deal than you realize.

I know a woman in China who applied for a tourist visa.She met all the requirements.she actually had twice the amount of money in the bank.That the U.S required at the time.she speaks English fluently.Has a good job owns 3 houses and a store.And a delivery truck.I talked to her after her interview.She said her interview lasted about five minutes..And they wouldn't even look at her documents.She said they told her her visa was denied.When she asked why.They told her that she wasn't a good risk for a visa.This was all in GZ.

As you can see it is tough to get a tourist visa to the U.S.So I'm real curios what is your secrete.I think you and your wife being married mite of had a allot to do with it.I have another question.Have you filed for your your wife's visa to immigrate to the states? Are you living with your wife in China? About a year ago we had another member who got his wife a visa to the states.But it was a emergency visa.So that his wife could attend his mother's funeral.I don't know how long the visa was valid for.Or how long she could stay.He lived with his wife in GZ.And had ben there close to a year when his mother passed away.And he applied for the emergency visa.If I remember correctly it took him a week for his wife to receive her visa.

We have another member.Who applied for a tourist visa for his wife.He filed the application while he was living in China.With his wife.His wife application was denied.He didn't tell me why.He had ben living in China close to a year with his wife.

So I need to know what the secrete is.We could go into business together and make a fortune selling this kind of information ;D

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 05:29:05 am »
As we know Maxx that member's wife never used her emergency visa because circumstances changed.  But I am curious why someone comes here and makes a 'You know nothing on here' sort of statement as a first posting!  It will be interesting to hear the follow up.

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Jim

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 05:37:35 pm »
For the record, Willy, this was not my first post.  I have actually been a member since the very beginning.  Secondly, it was never meant as an 'in your face' type of statement.  I came here to tell everyone that its not unheard of anymore.  Because we were all told that for years that there was no hope so dont even try.
Even before she tried I called my Lawyer and they said she wont get it.  It just goes to show that in these things no one knows it all.

To answer the questions, yes I am from the US. we have actually been married for 2 and a half years.  I live here and she lives there.  I have not officially started the process for her spousal visa.  We have had some issues that we are trying to work out.  She hired a company to help her get the proper paperwork together.  I never figured she would get one.  She said she wanted to try anyway.  I dont know what happened other than the questions I told you about.  I did mention in my letter of invitation that my aged mother would like to see her before it was too late. I never claimed she was going to die.  Other than that.  She is a Nurse with over 20 years of experience, has a 21 year old daughter and her family is a professional family mostly in Wuhan.  She wasnt even asked about money.  I stated in a letter that I would support her while she was here. That I was retired military, I promised to make sure she returned at the end of her visa. I am elated that she got it, but it just goes to prove the point that it all depends on the interviewer.  Maybe he got laid that morning and was in a good mood.  I dont know.  Thats the problem with the system we have.

Offline shaun

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 06:41:29 pm »
Willy,  Think back.  You know Jim.  I'll leave it at that.  If Jim wants to say more it is up to him.  I for one am glad to see him back posting and am happy that his wife and he are having success with the visa.

Offline maxx

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 06:44:25 pm »
Willy yes I remember that she never used the visa.

Vince G

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 07:48:49 pm »
I think I know who this is but last heard from was retreating back home?

Offline Jim

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 08:38:33 pm »
Retreating? Jesus christ. I wasnt even going to come back here and tell about this but Martin asked me to so he is a friend. Now I get crap?  Vinny have you ever even been to China yet?  Now I remember why I left.  Dont worry I wont be back.  Hell, all I wanted to do is tell you all that maybe times are changing.  I am sorry if that flies in the face of all your knowledge.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 08:44:51 pm »
I am sorry if that flies in the face of all your knowledge.

The only knowledge we have is when people tell us their experiences. Of course people will question anything new if it goes against past experiences. I am glad that you had success.

But do you not think that if we told everyone to go for it and they did not succeed, that they would be happy with us? We try to be conservative, and if people show the alternative can happen, then we have a case for those who still wish to try. Maybe your case is the start in a change in direction for tourist applications.

Current advise usually lags behind results so if more people apply and get acceptance, then more can we encourage people to try. Of course it never hurts to try, but denial can really hurt peoples attitudes.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 08:49:06 pm by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline shaun

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 08:49:35 pm »
********* At least know who you are talking to.  Why don't you PM him and ask him.  Then apologize.

Maybe I should save the strong comments for PM's.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 09:04:03 pm by shaun »

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 09:12:39 pm »
Guys, I totally understand why you have questioned Jim...but this is JimB...Sarge...a member since the beginning of FB, and once a MOD on this site.  He and I were talking on Yahoo the other day, and he told me his wife got a tourist visa.  Both of us were very SURPRISED!  I asked him to come here, and post his story, because I thought it might be of use to some people in the future.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 09:15:36 pm »
What am I suppose to be a Physic?  If people come back with changed names and start posting as new people then who is to know what is reality and what is not.

I will just go back to my own senile little world.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 09:16:38 pm »

Sir, I see you Censored by coming to your senses.  ;)

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 09:23:16 pm »
Wow ...... who knew that a positive result of one guy versus the Government could cause so many feathers to be ruffled. I guess it goes to show that we have been discouraged for so long by our own government, that we lack the courage to believe any other result.

Willy, I see no wrong in your 1st statement questioning the original posting.

I will just go back to my own senile little world.

And please do not leave us here to go to Egypt.

Martin, I am sorry that your helpfull intent caused such a stir.

So I guess it is not only the bearer of Bad News that has to worry about his reception. It just goes to show, that how the news is delivered is just as critical as its content.  ::)

So don't SHOOT the
Messanger
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 09:32:55 pm by Rhonald »