Author Topic: Name change  (Read 7650 times)

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
Name change
« on: October 26, 2011, 10:22:24 pm »
Here's a question for all you married men.  Did your wife take your last name, and if so, how did you go about changing the name legally? 

I never asked my wife to take my name.  It's not really important.  Or at least, it wasn't at the time.  But now that I think about it, she's my wife and I'm sure she would love to take my last name.  I imagine the interviewer will ask her why she didn't, and since we never even discussed it (yet), it won't be a good answer. 

I'm actually surprised this question hasn't been asked before (that I noticed).
...as irresistible as chocolate

Arnold

Re: Name change
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 10:42:48 pm »
Neil , all we did .. starting with the Marriage Office ( Registry ) in SH .. use my last name from than on . On all Papers , especially which had to do with the US Immigration . So all legal paper's here in the States list her as Qing ( first ) Dusch ( last ) Chu ( middle ) . Of course the DMV screwed it up and put it in the Files as Qing Chu-Dusch , making Chu the last name .. goofballs . This after I explained it to the Lady/Girl at the DMV for more than ten minutes and she still got it wrong ? Anyway , everything that is coming through the Mail has my Last name on it for her . She now has .. Green Card , License , Passport ( chinese ) , Joint Savings and Checking , her own Checking and one Department Store Card ( which she is NOT going to use .. she just use it for 10% OFF on a Buy ) . She would NEVER buy anything with a Credit Card !!! Am I lucky or what ?
Hope that helps some .

Offline Clayton

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 11:42:58 pm »
Neil what we are going to do is when Yan gets here we will register her with my last name and retain her family name as her second name.
That way she gets to keep her family name as well as take mine.

This decision was made when we were discussing names, she was surprised when i told her we have three names, and when i asked her if she would like to take my name and keep her family name she was very happy to do so .

I think this is one of those things that have panned out really well.

Cheers
Leeroy
This is the way to go

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 04:45:25 am »
We did same as Clayton.

All the documents (Bank Account, driving License, Tax file number, etc etc) Ming used "Ming Zhang Evans, so she gets to keep all her Chinese names and also adds my surname to it.

I checked with my Lawyer if there was any more legal/formal stuff we should do to legitimise this change to her name...but he said no, Common usage establishes the precedent at law for her "new" surname.

But interestingly, if she wants to adopt a new Christian name, she has to do it legally through Deed poll....maybe you guys who give your wife a Western Christian name might consider that unless you make a legal change through the due process, her new Christian name is not legal. But of course, it does not stop you using it, only that it cannot be used for legal documents etc.

BTW...we had a lot of fun devising a new signature for her...in English, that she could use when signing stuff in her new name...we thought it best not to use Chinese characters for her name !! ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 04:47:28 am by David E »

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 05:22:53 am »
Not sure what the deed poll process is in Australia - In the UK it is a simple process.  I have changed hundreds of peoples names in mytime. No problem - all officially recognised by Inland Revenue, Drivers licences. Passports etc.  I have a copy of the form I used somewhere.  No need for lawyers who will charge you hundreds for what is a simple process.

Maybe I can start selling them again now I am settled here.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Jan

• QQ 1507672319
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 11:46:04 am »
We have also discussed this. And thought that at China, she will have her current name. And at Finland... My last name and her Finnish name that she has come up with.
Ofc we are not getting married yet. But I hope that we can do it next year haha... But we have discussed everything... And beyond that. During some sleepless nights on the phone.

Offline Buzz

• XiuRu Zhang
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 09:46:23 pm »
Did not change the name.  My wife is retired medical doctor, is getting pension in china.  Changing her name would alert the government to stop the earned benefit.  Also, it is much easier to keep her passport.  She will not become a citizen.  Will get the extension to the green card when it is the proper time. 

She just went back to china for a visit after we got her provisional green card.  All went well.  no visa fee, no problems getting back home.  I could see a younger person wanting a name change, but for us,  everyone knows we are married, and that is all that really matters. 

• Board Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 10:39:30 pm »
So Mike

When you are talking with friends you will always refer to her as Mrs .......... and not by her first name?

Please don't confuse this oldie!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Neil

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 11:09:53 pm »
And Dear or Laopo to you, am I right?

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 03:33:41 am »
however, when talking to people casually, friends, and family ...  will use my name.

Mike

Wont everybody get a bit confused when you introduce her...."Hi, I am Mike...and this is my lovely wife Mike"  ??????? ;D ;D

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 08:24:06 am »
I used to work at a radio station...and ironically, we had 3 Mike's...as well as several Mic's.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 10:05:51 am »
so watch out .... the MIKEs are going to organize and take over the World!

--- Mike  :P

Better than a bunch of Rons getting together to try taking over the World........And in order to succeed we will decided that we just need more Rons for some brighter ideas.  ::)
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline JamesM.Roberts

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 10:10:39 am »
Dear Neil-when me and Ping married at the registration office, there was a lot of hectic confusion going on, like any Chinese government office, that and the fact that my Cantonese needs improvement. After a lot of bickering between Ping and the lady behind the counter the name changed was granted. Imagine my surprise when everyone started referring to me as James Huang :o

Okay I'm just kidding -Actually we opted not to change her surname, as the house in Nanning is registered in her surname. That and the Chinese place great importance in their heritage. My heritage on the other hand is a little like a mutts. 

I did hear-do not know if it is true- Some research would need to be done. The Chinese can change their name once(for free) at age 11-Otherwise after age 11 it is a rather pricey task, for it to be recognized by the Chinese government. Can anyone weigh in on this? Thanks James Huang Roberts
Anyone can pick up an apple off the ground, but the sweeter ones take a little work to get to!!

• Board Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 10:28:39 am »
so watch out .... the MIKEs are going to organize and take over the World!

--- Mike  :P

Better than a bunch of Rons getting together to try taking over the World........And in order to succeed we will decided that we just need more Rons for some brighter ideas.  ::)
I can think of a pair of Rons

Doronron  Doronron - Now  where have I heard that before.

Is it a movie, A TV Show or a song or is it something my friend, Ron's, girlfriend used to whisper to him in the dark in our youth.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Neil

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 07:20:44 pm »
I'm wondering if my wife was to take my last name legally here in Canada, would it affect her name in China?  Could she keep her original name in China? 

We talked about it a bit last night, and now that I've thought about it, it would really mean a lot to me if she did take my name.  Of course, being the sweetheart that she is, she would gladly do it.  I think we'll wait until she comes to Canada before we start anything. 

James, that was hilarious!  I laughed out loud when I read that.  Thanks for that.  And thanks to everyone else, this is an interesting discussion.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 07:23:25 pm by Neil »