Author Topic: My Three Week Romance In/With China  (Read 5659 times)

Offline Skip

• Foreign Explorer
Re: My Three Week Romance In/With China
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 06:46:43 pm »
Well Haynes, I just call 'em like I see 'em.  In the US the citizens are fed a certain diet of bologna--about China and certainly about the middle east.  If you choose to accept it, so be it.  For Americans who characterize themselves as either free or brave, I think they live in a dream world.  I wish it were true; it was true once.  But it isn't (in my opinion) anymore. 

Nice to know you liked it up to that point however.

Gum Bais,

Skip
Skip

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 10:54:56 pm »
Hi Skip
Very well writen ,I also have enjoyed 40 days in zhougzhou and beijing.
But i do not like your last paragraph, I ruined the whole thing.

M

Actually, I totally agree with the last statement.  I found it easier to get into China, and even Cuba...both "communist" countries, than it was getting back in to my own country.

Offline maxx

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 11:40:12 pm »
That is probably because you are a card carrying member of the Janadian Communist party.

Offline Skip

• Foreign Explorer
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 01:17:53 am »
I loved the article Skip, very well written-I'm a bit jealous seeing as I had made plans twice to see Guilin, and both times events prevented me from doing so. Maybe next time!  Did you happen to see the Waterfall hotel? or take in one of their elaborate shows? If so I hope pictures will be forth coming ;D
Agreed with everything you wrote about, and I am presently taking a course in horn repair before my next trip back. Thanks

Hi James,  I apologize for not answering you before now.  Much less with the response:  I am not sure.  I had dinner in two very nice hotels in Guilin.  One which did a remarkable job of serving western food.  I have intended to ask Han Yu if we spent time at the Waterfall Hotel, but it has slipped my feeble brain . 

My life there for the first ten days was so confusing things just ran together.  Whether I made that stop or not, I am not sure.  But, I will find out the name of the two hotels which most captured my stomach's attention; one that served Brazilian Style skewered meats, along with a marvelous buffet and the other which serves the most disgustingly large plate of Tiramisu with cafe' mocha, that it requires two people to devour. 

I love the way the Chinese people eat.  I ate more there than I ever do at home AND I lost 8 pounds in the three weeks I visited (maybe it was the 5 miles I walked every day)??   

It's My kind of place.

Skip
Skip

Offline Skip

• Foreign Explorer
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 01:24:36 am »
A great read Skip , I do not know about dates but both Sylvain and Iceland have both been to Guilin lately with Bergur [ iceland ] still in Yanchou so it is getting to be a VERY small world , regards Sujuan and Robert .

Hello Sujuan, I plan to travel back to Guilin in the spring of 2012.  I will make it a point to let people know on CLI.  It would be a really good experience to meet people who frequent here over there.  China, to me, is the land of enchantment.

Thank you for your kind words.  I am glad you enjoyed the article.

Skip

Offline JamesM.Roberts

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 06:45:34 am »
Skip Not a problem -sometimes I disappear from here for days on end -don't mean to but, .......well let's just say when it comes to the feeble brain -just know you have a friend in me.  No need to ask Han Yu -I think you would know if you seen the Waterfall  Hotel(don't know how their food is) but the show they put on is spectacular. They have a fountain that is like the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas that dances to music then the fountain dies and...............................................
http://youtu.be/DTi8UVWce1M
Anyone can pick up an apple off the ground, but the sweeter ones take a little work to get to!!