Author Topic: Wife is shipping stuff...what stuff?  (Read 2160 times)

Offline JohnB

• Board Moderator
  • the less traveled road has made all the difference
Wife is shipping stuff...what stuff?
« on: February 08, 2012, 12:33:56 am »
Wife is shipping stuff...what stuff?
Just received her letter today. She wants monies for freight charges. So, I have not given this thought, any thought.
What do wives ship? Clothes for sure. What else. I think I have been away from the couples scene too long. I just have not given this any thought.
Is shipping usually surface? Or air freight? What is the preference? Any differences in pricing? I am just going to have to familiarize myself in this.
All this from China to the States.

Time to work the closets.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 09:21:27 pm by John »

Offline lfputman3

• Don't count the days until, count the days after
Re: Wife is shipping stuff...what stuff?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 02:16:24 am »
John, best I can say is from the US to China, use USPS, they have the best rates. Especially for odd size boxes, but of course if you can fit the items into a flat rate box it's even better. I'm sending a couple boxes tomorrow and they are both going Express (7-10 day) and it's a little over 200 for both boxes. I can't fit the stuff into two flat rate boxes or it would be more like 150 for both.

Depending on what your lady does, the common request for clothes can be a money maker for her. My Yuan wants CK, AF and a couple others as long as they come off a clearance rack here and she is selling them to friends. So I make sure there more than one of her size in the box and then I mix and match the sizes depending on the style and what size Chinese woman would want to wear such items. (some of those ck dresses are right in that short length Chinese girls love)

If you want relatively fast shipping, or in other words if you use USPS, UPS or Fed-ex, it's going by air, it just varies on which airport and how they send it to the airport.

ost important, because we all know China Post suc#s b@lls, make sure you put her phone number on the mailing label, or adopt my new strategy, a separate label to the side with her name, addy and phone number in Chinese. It seems to speed it up a little, in the fact they will refer to that, or simply verify you put the correct addy in Chinese instead of worrying about putting a Chinese label on it next to the USPS labeling. The phone number helps them to get off their butts and give her a call and notify her of the package being at the Post office/bank...  Yes, that still trips me up, post office and bank in one, guess they aren't worried about how much they charge for stamps?  ???

Lloyd
Better to plunge in and drowned, than sit on the pier wondering.

1744748245@qq.com

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 06:58:48 am »
Think you may have the wrong end of the stick Lloyd. I think Johns wife wants to send 'stuff' from China to the USA.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 05:08:16 pm »
My wife shipped to crates total weight about 560 lbs. Took a month and went from Shenzhen to Vancover by boat, then truck to Calgary. We paid about $1050 Canadian Dollars. I think the more costly part was the truck rate. The crates were heavy first off because of the wood used to make them. I have been meaning to post a story off the last month with her travelling here and the shipping of her personal affects - with pictures, but have been busy.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 05:09:21 pm »
Shipping what stuff ????

Just thousands of dresses, tops, skirts, shoes...and all the stuff that women accumulate, never wear and never want to part with....!!!

But dont let her within a mile of your favourite old sweatshirt...because it will immediately be consigned to the trash because it is "not beautiful, old and smelly"...!!!

Ming sent all her "stuff" to Aus before she left China. She used China Post, simply called the local Post Office, they came to her apartment, packed all her things into boxes and charged 200 RMB per box...cheap as !!!

In our home we have a walk -in wardrobe in our bedroom, it has about 25 feet of hanging rails in it. My clothes occupy about 4 feet !!!!!...the rest is hers, plus she has used some space in the wardrobes in our spare bedrooms...the bloody stuff seems to breed !!!

Hey ho...gotta love'em, dont you  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 07:28:59 pm »
Just a thought too, under the immigration and permanent migration act, in Australia but from memory I think it maybe international too, a migrant can be intitalled to upto 40kg of luggage for their flight to their new destination.  Check the email they will send your wife regarding her visa and conditions it will be spelt out there.  That is all of the clothes that Xia bought to Oz.  You would be suprised how much clothing that is as she is smaller than a western woman and could therefore fit more in.  The 40kg is a two bag limit not including your carry on.  But I am sure she probably bought about 45kg.  She has also commented that the quality of clothing here is better than in China....funny when you read the label and it is made in China but maybe the export stuff is better quality............
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 01:24:42 am »
Have to agree with you Davis E about the quantity of clothes , they are breeding like rabbits in our household especially with 3 women here at present including Sujuan's daughter who is here on Chinese school holidays , Sujuan keeps sending big parcels back to China via a Chinese company here in Melb , we deliver to them and they deliver to the door in Shenyang takes about 10 days , and yes Jason she having been in the rag trade says the quality of most goods here is better and certainly cheaper than in China , regards Sujuan and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Chong

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 02:14:58 pm »
My wife's family ships Chinese medicine from China to Canada. Expensive herbs are always taken out by China Post, then the box is taped back together. The next time, my sister-in-law inserted the same herbs inside a bag of inexpensive herbs to avoid detection. It arrived. My wife says that China Post is notorious for stealing expensive items. Appealing to then won't help especially if you didn't declare it nor brought insurance.