Author Topic: Guess Grandma's Age  (Read 3572 times)

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
Re: Guess Grandma's Age
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 10:43:39 am »
If she was born in 1952, then many of the things she mentioned about her cultural upbringing would be related to what her parents told her - not herself. She would have been a teenager during the hippie generation.

"Your Grandfather and I got married first, and then lived together. Every family had a father and a mother.
Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, "Sir."
And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir."

If she was raised well by her parents and/or maybe from a smaller city then her upbringing might follow her quoting, but the expression making out is a sexual euphemism[1] of American origin dating back to at least 1949, and is used synonymously with the terms necking, heavy petting, I would say she would be aware of.

Of course the articule is interesting as it reflects how drasticly the world is changing. Now I am watching many DVD's with English subtitles on for my wife to practice her English and movies from just 20 or 30 years ago I can see the rapid chage from just this short time period.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 10:48:44 am by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline kiwisteve

Re: Guess Grandma's Age
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 03:27:25 pm »
There was a really good British TV program about the rapid changes technology brought to households in recent years. Made by the BBC called "Electric Dreams". Over 3 episodes each one reflecting changes over a decade: the 1970s, 80s and 90s. It was filmed in a family's home which was made over to reflect the styles of the times and with the appropriate appliances which changed frequently. It was really interesting to see how the family dynamics changed with the advances in technology over this period. I have the 3 episodes here but they are 760MB each