Author Topic: Denied  (Read 10173 times)

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
Denied
« on: April 30, 2012, 02:14:12 pm »
Well, I've been back home for a week.  I figured I should write something about our interview. 

My wife and I arrived in Hong Kong on the 10th of April.  Our interview was on the morning of the 11th.  The appointment said 7:30am so we arrived at the consulate at 7.  We were the second people there behind a mother and young son.  The sign on the door said that they don't open until 8 so we stood and waited for an hour.  By 8, there was a good 30 people in the line, including quite a few interpreters. 

We signed through security and got a number quickly.  We were called to an interview room at around 9.  There were 2 chairs, but the interviewer didn't want us both in the room at the same time.  She asked me a few general questions, but said that the interview was for my wife and they would only talk to me out of courtesy since I was there. 

In retrospect, I should have spent that time explaining my plans for when my wife comes to Canada, but I honestly didn't think it was needed - we supplied 2 large stacks of evidence that should have spoken for itself. 

I left the room and let my wife take my place with the translator beside her.  They were only in there about 30 minutes.  When they came out, it was obvious it was denied.  They tested her english ability which was very low.  They asked her a lot of questions, but she was scared to answer about my family since she was afraid to make a mistake - which was a huge mistake.  She was very nervous and I wasn't there to reassure her. 

We weren't given a chance to argue and I wasn't given the chance to defend her - when I turned to look into the room, it was empty.  My wife had a paper with reasons that our application was denied: They were not satisfied that our marriage is genuine and they were not satisfied that the primary reason for our marriage was other than for the purpose of gaining admission to Canada.

I now have 3 weeks to appeal or our case will be closed.

The translator told us that she needed more English skill.  She mentioned that the interviewer seemed confused why my parents didn't attend our wedding - my 75 year old retired parents.  She mentioned proof of support was not enough to prove it was a real relationship.  She mentioned that we don't communicate enough, yet they kept all 1000 pages of our chat logs (although they gave us back a lot of our other evidence).  They didn't take into account the fact that I had visited my wife 6 times including our first meeting, spent a total of 10 weeks together, or that many of those weeks were spent with her family, without a translator.

I'm trying to contact an immigration lawyer and there's an immigration help center in Kamloops that offers free advice and help.  I have no idea what the timeline is like for an appeal.  One of the questions on the form asks if I need an interpreter.  I do if it's in Hong Kong again, not if it's in Canada.  I'll check the box and deal with it when I know more. 

...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
Re: Denied
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 08:11:43 pm »
Neil.  very sorry for the bad news. You must be really bummed out right now. The band news scares the hell out of me and I bet everyone else waiting for VISAs. If it were me I would just drop the whole thing in an attorneys lap.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:56:34 pm by Pineau »
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline Jim

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 08:48:43 pm »
I am really sorry man, that sucks big time. 

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 09:43:20 pm »
Sorry to hear about the denial, keep your spirits up and get to work on the appeal!

Offline sunny

• 庄生晓梦迷蝴蝶
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 10:17:03 pm »
Sorry to hear about that. Hongkong office is the most difficult place to get the visa of canada family reunion immigration in the world.  More than 50% cases  have been denied there.  EU countries have the highest approval rate 91%.

Anyway I do know there are many successful appeal cases of family reunion immigration from a Chinese forum.  Don't give up please.

Offline john1964

• finally together
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 11:41:12 pm »
Neil, I know your pain of the rejection but mine was only a visitors visa, Appeal as soon as possible, You have the full support from all the guys and girls here and i am sure they can give good advice to you, WOW, 6 times to visit your wife and they have doubts, That sucks, Good luck mate, John.

Offline Scottish_Robbie

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 03:50:12 am »
Neil, sorry to hear the news... >:(
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" Winston Churchill

Offline shaun

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 04:58:17 am »
Neil, I am real sorry to hear this.  My heart is breaking for the both of you.  Hang in there and as Larry the Cable guy would say, "Get er done!"

Offline JamesM.Roberts

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 05:05:05 am »
Yes Neil very sorry to hear this-I in no way know what the Canadian requirements are .....but is language skills really one of them???
The reason I ask is-Ping was worried about her "lack of the language" but did the whole interview in Chinese-I know it isn't a requirement for the U.S.
You would think a thousand pages of chat logs would not only show a genuine relationship, but also the ability to communicate.
Hope this doesn't keep you down for long.                    Remember if it's a fight they want-it's a fight they'll get
Anyone can pick up an apple off the ground, but the sweeter ones take a little work to get to!!

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 03:28:08 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I don't plan to give up.  If anything, they've awakened the sleeping giant. 

I don't understand how they can think it's not a genuine relationship.  Obviously I need to do a better job of convincing them.  I should say, we need to do a better job.  I can explain how supportive and encouraging my family is.  I can explain how I have friends in town that are Chinese.  One of my Chinese friends owns a hotel and employs Chinese immigrants as housekeeping staff - they are always needing more help and he would gladly hire her.  I can get that in writing from him. 

Communication is another issue I think they doubted.  All our chat logs are in Chinese.  It is easiest for us since I can quickly translate messages and most of her communication is through her cell phone on qq.  I agree, we need to talk more, but it's not always easy or convenient.  When we are together, we never have a problem.  I have learned a few phrases in Mandarin and she has learned a few in English.  When we have something important to say, we have plenty of translation options: cell phone, electronic translator, relatives, friends that speak a little of both languages both here and in China. 

To top this off, I've also been dealing with a plumbing issue at my apartment for the last week.  It's still not solved.  The plumber and carpet cleaner have been back a few times. 
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 04:38:13 pm »
Just one more bump in the road Neil.....hang in there, you will win through.

Arnold

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 04:52:44 pm »
Neil (our Chocolate Man), I can imagine you must be beyond "Bittersweet" with this. Being here on this Forum as long as I have and Facebook, it is NOT a pleasent time to read any of our Member's being given this kind of treatment.. don't care who the F it is. I also know, getting mad and and throwing stones at these Gov. people is not going to make them give you any favours.
Appeal with a good if not great Lawyer that can get in Contact direct with these A-holes and make them take time to actually "LOOK" at the proof your providing... something they love to overlook due to their lazyness/heartless nature.
Do not melt and fight for your Wife as long as your breathing/longing for your Wife's love.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 01:36:56 am »
No jokes from me on this one Neil. I am gutted for you two.

Maybe she had has to learn a lot more English and is it a good idea to strengthen the interest to the authoraties in working and associating more with the Chinese Community?

Just a thought.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 07:26:59 am »
Outch  :o
well, that's quite a bad news, but as many others say here, it's not over.
I hope, I wish you can do everything to give any proof that you want to live with your wife, wherever you both can live.
However, I don't understand about that part "She mentioned proof of support was not enough to prove it was a real relationship.  She mentioned that we don't communicate enough...."
She = your wife?
If so, I would believe that she'd better do or say something that can be good for both of you, but not to say something like that?
I think too, depending some interviews, there may be something related to Politics and the way to go to other countries, such as Canada or some european countries?

Anyway, hang in there ;-)
- Let's Rock -

Arnold

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 11:06:31 am »
I talked to my Lawyer yesterday, to see what he thinks of this and his thought what to do next. Of course it's not a quick fix, but either way.. time/money will be again a big factor.
He's given me two advice's; First if you go the Appeal route, you'll need a Lawyer and as we know already.. this can take one to two yrs. and all that can come out of it.. is the same result NO.
Second, forget the Appeal.. wait eight months (that's coming form him for US Immigr.) and start over. This looks pretty much the same time frame, but... you have a better chance for an approval that way. Also give you more time to Communicate ( that is of much importance he says ) without PC/Phone/ect. She needs to have at least some English in case of un-foreseen Emergencies when your not present or with her at the time ( we've talked about this on our Forum many times ).
Not a favourable outlook being married and missing being together, but what is one to do.. when you get shown the door with the wrong paper.
I feel for you Neil, hope this get's resolved without both of you loosing what you have worked so hard for.
Good Luck and remember, anyway we can help/comfort you.. we're here to do it.