Author Topic: “The World of Suzie Wong”  (Read 1792 times)

Offline JohnB

• the less traveled road has made all the difference
“The World of Suzie Wong”
« on: May 31, 2012, 11:29:48 pm »
“The World of Suzie Wong” (1960)

I decided to add a little culture, a little color to this thread. No questions. No answers. Just pure enjoyment for a few minutes over two hours.
I thank “sampandolfy”, whomever that may be, for adding one of my favorite movies in it's entirety to his YouTube repertoire. The movie is titled “The World of Suzie Wong”. It was filmed in 1960, Hong Kong.
The thing is I fell in love with Nancy Kwan, “...Suzie Wong” being her first movie. I was starting 9th grade- High School freshman (sorry Willy, I am older, but maybe not as good looking as you). This latent seed of China women was deeply implanted within me; apparently, my “lust” for Nancy Kwan never ended. I was always vulnerable to the Suzie Wongs' of China.

So it goes 51 years before I married a China woman. I married my beautiful Jing (a much better pedigree than Suzie Wong), but I do not forget Suzie Wong, as she has this special place in my heart. I am sure William Holden (another favorite actor of mine) enjoyed his role greatly.
Being this movie was filmed in 1960, it was probably before most of this forums membership were born. The movie location is in Hong Kong, of which there are many scenes of that mysterious far off & long ago Hong Kong. There is a liberal usage of fashionable “Cheongsams”, a body hugging one piece dress for women. I like. The movie viewing is totally alien to that of Hong Kong today. The film quality is excellent as I watched in “full screen”.

“The World of Suzie Wong” is a thoroughly beautiful movie. Enjoy it!
http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=oqhj1Ht29HI)

be advised. bit of a problem. to copy and paste, back 1 space> watch?v=oqhj1Ht29HI   

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Re: “The World of Suzie Wong”
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 06:53:00 am »
Sorry John.  Your still not old enough!  Don't be fooled by my profile age, we all have secrets to keep. 8)  But I accept the 'not as good looking' comment if you insist on bestowing that on me. I had received the key of the door by the time this film was released.  Not sure what age a 9th grade High School freshman places you but I had been out of school and working for 3 years prior to 1960!!!  And by this time I was also out of the parents home and living life to the full in my first of many batchelor pads.  (With posters of Nancy on the wall.) 

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,