Author Topic: To cut or not to cut  (Read 7705 times)

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
To cut or not to cut
« on: June 07, 2012, 05:59:05 am »
I have come across something that I do not think has ever been mentioned here before and I am looking for a little guidance from some of you that may have some experience here.

Xia wants to take Laura to a barbers or hair dressers and have her head shaved clean.  She says this is to get rid of her baby hair so she has more even hair on regrowth.  I do not want this to happen, but do not want to upset the MRS.

Any advice/experiences?
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Re: To cut or not to cut
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 07:49:55 am »
Usual Chinese thing Jason.  Getting rid of the baby hair is right.  Also here it is cooler for the child.  The hair does seem to grow quick and strong almost as soon as its off.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 07:56:17 am »
Jason , yes listen to Xia , it is normal in China for the little ones to be shaven several times , I find this very interesting and may answer a long lost question of mine as to why men , and especially women in China along with other Asian countries have such thick hair . Sujuan has confirmed that Sunyao , her daughter was done this way , and the 2 other girls here in the house also confirmed that it had been also done to them and they would do it to their children , when they have them .
 So I have learned something tonight , now back to learning Mahjong ha ha .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Arnold

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 03:00:00 pm »
I also found out from Qing, that it is common for Girls to have her Eyelashes cut back at the Baby Stage.. because they believe.. you will have "Longer" ones later. That mis-fired on Qing, as her's are "Not" longer now. So it might work for some, guess not in all cases.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 04:33:13 pm »
My 2 cents worth.....

It matters little what you do to "baby hair"ecause the ultimate colour, strength, and form of a persons hair is already decided at birth....it's genetics.

Chinese hair is thick and black because they have different shaped follicles than western people or negroes.

It's all a myth...waste of time !!!

• Board Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 07:15:27 pm »
My 2 cents worth.....

It matters little what you do to "baby hair"ecause the ultimate colour, strength, and form of a persons hair is already decided at birth....it's genetics.

Chinese hair is thick and black because they have different shaped follicles than western people or negroes.

It's all a myth...waste of time !!!

But David, myth or not, it is part of Chinese culture. Our nieces son now 3 months old has regrown his hair after being shaved and he is not yet 4 months old yet.  He reason was that it keeps him cooler in his early months.  But that does not explain it being done in winter as well!! Its just traditional.   Shaving all or part of the head went back many thousands of years.

As we know shaving heads does not make the hair grow stronger or thicker.  Look how many middle age and sometimes young western men who do that in the hope it will!!!!!!!! 8)

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 02:32:01 am »
Willy

I am not disputing, or arguing about the tradition...because I know it has been practiced by the Chinese for centuries.

My comment was only about the logic  (or not) of it and that logic says it is pointless.
Jason said he DOESN'T want it to happen....neither would I, so I tried to help him with a logical reason why he should not.

"When in Rome........."   and his Xia is now in Aus., Aussie rules should apply  ;D ;D ;D

If Ming were to have a child, I would strongly object to this pracice also.

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 02:36:37 am »
Well David , stop eating herrings , that is British , not Australian ha ha .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

• Board Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 02:46:19 am »
Do not agree with you David. You are trying to destroy a tradition at a stroke.

You say now in OZ she should act like an Aussie.  Is that right?   If you want her to depart from all her Chinese traditions.  The question would be why? 

What next now she is there - swigging down pints of cold beer and know the LBW rule?

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Offline shaun

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 06:26:09 am »
Now I think I know why Peggy keeps trying to get me to shave my head.

Personally I hope Peggy keeps a lot of her Chinese tradition.  I kind of like her the way she is.

Offline kiwisteve

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 07:31:21 am »

nice one Shawn Shaun.

Arnold

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 10:44:46 am »
Do not agree with you David. You are trying to destroy a tradition at a stroke.

You say now in OZ she should act like an Aussie.  Is that right?   If you want her to depart from all her Chinese traditions.  The question would be why? 

What next now she is there - swigging down pints of cold beer and know the LBW rule?

Willy

Willy, I'm sure this is an isullated thing for David.. one where he would stand up for it. This is not changing all of Mings traditions/culture at all. We do adjust. so they also should do at least their part as well. Besides, this/those believes are on the way out with the younger generation's... as more and more western ways are excepted.

If the HAir thing was really working, my mother should of cut all my Hair (reddish blonde) off and maybe it would grow back black.. which I would have preferred.. hence they don't burn in the Sunlight as much like us white folks.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 05:33:15 pm »
Tut, Tut, Willy...you do exaggerate a lot  ::) ::)

To jump from a personal concern that I have about shaving children's heads into a accusation that I want Ming to depart from ALL Chinese traditions is stretching the credibility.

I dont believe that we should interfere physically with ANYTHING to do with small children, especially if it is pointless. By the same token, I would never allow my son to be circumcised, or my daughter to have bound feet !!!

I love just about all the little quirks and mannerisms that Ming has from her ancient and wonderful culture.  But this particular thing goes against my personal idealology.

Ming will willingly become as much of an Aussie as she is comfortable with, as did I after I migrated....no more, no less.

It's not an attempt by me to hijack her culture or traditions, just one small personal issue.

BTW....she can drink a pint of cold Lager along with the best of them, we are still working on the LBW rule. She just got to grips with the " One side goes in and then gets out, then the other side who is not in, goes in and then gets out, and they do it twice....".....The LBW rule takes a bit more time to get her head around  ;D ;D ;D

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 05:54:28 pm »
...And as for you Mr RobertB from Australia..........

I guess as a real dinkie die, you only eat roots, shoots, grass seeds, witchetty grubs and the ocasional kangaroo that you find as road kill  ;D ;D ;D

I am SURE you strictly follow this authentic Aussie diet as invented by the real Australians many centuries ago....it is part of the Aussie tradition..................musn't change that

I rest my case, your Honour

;D ;D ;D ;D

ps...I imagine your Humpy is a bit chilly in the Winter....hahahaha
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 06:07:32 pm by David E »

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 05:58:07 am »
OK a can of worms has deffinetly been opened or atleast the tin has been cracked open a bit.  I did not want this thread to go so far down the path it has, but I am enjoying the banter.  I can see the benefits from both cultures and I assume that everyone with their spouses etc has made some adjustments.  I would like some comments from maybe Maxx or someone who has had kids with their spouse on this to gauge if/how they dealt with this dilema when/if it come up. As for me I want what is best for our daughter.  5000 years of culture must mean somethings were done right.......right? I am just after some feed back is all.......after that gentlemen feel free to carry on......and David E
I guess as a real dinkie die, you only eat roots, shoots, grass seeds,
what is wrong with being a wombat? eats roots and leaves........ ;)
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.