Author Topic: American News and Rodney King  (Read 3289 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
American News and Rodney King
« on: June 17, 2012, 10:08:48 pm »
How is the American news dealing with the death of Rodney King?

The BBC TV is insisting on not calling him a Black Man.  They go to great pains to describe him as an African American but the police who beat him were said to be White!  Not European American or Hispanic American.

My friends in the UK describe themselves as Black so when dealing with Americans would they be described as African British.  I also have several friends from South Africa who happen to be White.  So how would they be described?  African White? African? Or White?

My Black friends in the UK have three ways of describing people, Black, White or Mixed. 

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline shaun

Re: American News and Rodney King
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 07:10:41 am »
Willy, the following is the latest BS from the AP.  It is the latest portrait of portraying a thug as a great humanitarian.  But in reality at least 55 people died as a result and billions of dollars were spent because of him.

I'm sure they will find drugs in his system from the autopsy.

Bottom line is that his restless life has come to a sad end.

http://ap.augustachronicle.com/pstories/20120618/1005790182.shtml

• Board Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 09:37:24 am »
Willy, the following is the latest BS from the AP.  It is the latest portrait of portraying a thug as a great humanitarian.  But in reality at least 55 people died as a result and billions of dollars were spent because of him.

I'm sure they will find drugs in his system from the autopsy.

Bottom line is that his restless life has come to a sad end.

http://ap.augustachronicle.com/pstories/20120618/1005790182.shtml

Yes Shaun I have no quarrel with any of that.  He was a useless article.   I saw the truck driver pulled from his cab, hit with a fire extinguisher and then summarily shot.  My gripe is why the hell can do they call him an African American??? He is an American who happens to be Black.

He is a man that is Black - a Black Man. 

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 10:31:53 am »
Yes political correction going overboard. I guess to be logical, then the paper should not use terms like  first nation, Indians, or indigenous. but rather Asian American. Could also be more exact and say Siberian Americans as they used that land bridge to cross over. Arnold should be referred to as a Teutonic American. To be brief, any French descendants as Frank Americans. Bladder control problem people as European  :o Americans!

My gripe is why the hell can do they call him an African American??? Willy

Yes exactly Willy - they are using that term "African American" to refer to skin colour. If a person came from Libya or Egypt, then they too could be correctly called African American, even if Arabic. but I bet the papers would not use the term because of the colouring of the skin - Euphemism as a religion!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 11:32:12 am by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline shaun

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 06:05:13 pm »
Political Correctness has been going on for a while.  African Americans, Mexican Americans,  I guess I am an Mutt American.  My family has English, Irish, Scottish, and Choctaw Indian in it.  My fathers mother was 1/2 Choctaw.

I've just got to the point that I just don't care and will make fun of it.  We're all just people; all a part of the human race.  Short, tall, fat, skinny, ugly, handsome (Peggy tells me I am in that category by the way), and the list appears to be infinite.

So if it makes a man feel good to call himself an African American or an Asian America or whatever then let him do it.  After all we don't want people to feel bad about themselves.

Let me see... Don't we have a constitutional right to feel good about ourselves?

• Board Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 12:02:58 am »
To me Black is Black, White is White, Yellow is Yellow and even Robbies 'Little Green Men' are .....    ??? well Scottish!!!!!!!

One day people may well all have the same skin colour.  That is if the Earth survives that long?

( Maybe the reason we have not been visited by people from the future is because the Earth does not survive long enough into the future for someone to invent a time machine.)  Now that's another story.  :-\

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

• Board Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 12:22:08 am »

Yes exactly Willy - they are using that term "African American" to refer to skin colour. If a person came from Libya or Egypt, then they too could be correctly called African American, even if Arabic.

Your right Rhonald.  A few years ago I was in Egypt with two friends who are black.  When the Egyptians found that my friends parents were from West Africa they were lauded as fellow Africans.

The term African American is as you say used for defining a persons skin colour.     Political Correctness gone mad,  A 'Black' man can no longer fight a 'White' man in the boxing ring.   Get a match like this and you will hear them described as 'so and so' is wearing the Blue Shorts - not that 'so and so' is Black or White.   Why? Are we supposed to pretend we are blind to the colour.

Willy

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 04:22:09 pm »
But Willy...

We HAVE been visited by travellers from the future....countless times.

What do you think ghosts are ???....If we travel from the future to have a look at the past, it is essential that we dont actually, physically land, because of the "chronoclasm"

ie....if you went back in time and killed your Father, how could you exist so that you could go back in time ???

Thus ANY change you impart on the past, as a visitor from the future would have major consequences.

So time travellers will be prohibited from actually materialising...hence all the ghosts we see and hear about are really time travellers....they can only come back and observe.

nuff said !!!

Offline shaun

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 07:56:17 pm »
Well?

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 08:22:50 pm »
What ??????

Offline shaun

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 08:53:22 pm »
Well initially it was for another comment that appears to have been deleted but it works for time travel too.   Just poking a little fun is all.

• Board Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 09:37:13 pm »
But Willy...

We HAVE been visited by travellers from the future....countless times.

What do you think ghosts are ???....If we travel from the future to have a look at the past, it is essential that we dont actually, physically land, because of the "chronoclasm"

ie....if you went back in time and killed your Father, how could you exist so that you could go back in time ???

Thus ANY change you impart on the past, as a visitor from the future would have major consequences.

So time travellers will be prohibited from actually materialising...hence all the ghosts we see and hear about are really time travellers....they can only come back and observe.

nuff said !!!
Thats a bit rough David.   

You mean I cannot go back a plummet the few  places that I missed on the first occasions. 

Are you sure that the 'ghosts' you see are not the unfortunate woman that missed my attention the first time round?

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 11:46:13 pm »
Sorry Willy...you can only go back to LOOK...but not touch...so all those unfulfilled women will just have to stay that way..... ;D ;D

Which reminds me of a story......

A Metaphysical Group was holding a meeting to discuss all about ghosts...

The Lecturer asked the meeting if all those who had seen a ghost would put up their hands...

About 60% responded....

She then asked how many people had actually spoken to a ghost.....

About 5% responded....

Next she asked if anybody present had actually made love with a ghost.......

One old doddery geezer from the back of the room put up his hand (coincidentally, his name was Willy).......

The lecturer asked him to come forward and he duly went to the podium and the Lecturer said, "this is such a rare phenomena that I want you to tell the group exactly what happened when you made love to a ghost"...

The geezer replied, Ghost ??? Ghost ???........

I THOUGHT YOU SAID GOAT.......... ;D ;D ;D

• Board Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 05:00:48 am »
 I thought you was kidding until I read the last line.

Now I need to know which Kid spilled the beans. :o

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 09:57:38 am »
Now I need to know which Kid spilled the beans. :o

Willy

Ask Pat Garrett, he knows!