Author Topic: My 2nd trip to China.  (Read 13872 times)

Offline T Town Hombre

My 2nd trip to China.
« on: June 26, 2012, 08:23:26 pm »
Hi Guys.  This is my first post.  I've been reading things here as guest for a while and have found quite a lot of good information.

I met a wonderful woman on a site one and half years ago and went to see her last June.  We had a grand time and fell in love.  She is absolutely the perfect woman for me.  She tells me yes she is and I am the perfect man for her to which I agree.

After one disasterous marriage I am kind of reluctant to marry again but I'm going to do it this trip.  I leave Saturday the 30th and will be there a little over a month.  I do wish I could say longer but work calls.

I do have a question.  I have my divorce papers.  Is that all I need to get married in China?

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
Re: My 2nd trip to China.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 09:04:17 pm »
You will need to get an affidavit of single status also before you can marry. You can get one at the US embassy that handles her province (costs about 50 bucks). You will need to take a certified copy of your divorce papers also, I will attach a link to the Marriageability Affidavit used by the Embassy. This is copied from Guangzhou's website. Good Luck, Robert

American citizens contemplating marriage to a Chinese citizen in China should review the following information. This information is given for general background reference only and while it is believed to be accurate, we suggest you or your fiancé/fiancée check with the Chinese Civil Affairs Office where you will be registering your marriage for the most current information.
Can foreigners get married in China?
In order to marry in China, at least one party must have legal residence in China.  Two foreigners visiting China on tourist visas will not be permitted to register to marry.
What are the requirements to marry in China?
Regulations for marriage in China may differ significantly amongst different provinces, cities and townships.  Please contact the specific Chinese Civil Affairs Office in the city you or your fiancé/fiancée will register your marriage for the most current requirements.
U.S. citizens are usually asked to submit the following:

• A valid passport with a valid Chinese visa;
  • If both parties are non-Chinese citizens, at least one must present a current Chinese residence permit;
  • A notarized "Affidavit of Marriageability" also referred to as a Single Statement.   This affidavit is available at the Consulate and is a sworn statement or affirmation that you are legally free to marry.  You must make an appointment for notarial services.   The notarial fee is USD $50.00. 
  • If you have been previously married, you will be asked to submit an original or certified copy of your final divorce or annulment decree; or death certificate, if you are widowed.;
  • Three marriage photos  of the couple( taken together ), red background;
  • Registration fee, varies by location.
How do I get a Marriageability Affidavit?

• Step 1: Please read the instructions below
  • Step 2: Please make an appointment online (If you need more than one service during your visit, please be sure to make separate appointments.)
  • Step 3: Please complete the Marriageability Affidavit form (PDF)*, print it out and bring it with you to your scheduled appointment.  Please do not sign the affidavit, you will sign it in front of a consular officer.

Are there any restrictions on whom a U.S. citizen can marry in China?
Certain categories of Chinese citizens, such as diplomats, security officials, and others whose work is considered to be crucial to the state, are not legally free to marry foreigners.
In general, Chinese students are permitted to marry, however please be aware there are regulations which allow schools, universities, etc. to expel students who do marry.  Please note that at least one school has required a student to reimburse the school for tuition costs and other expenses when the student requests academic withdrawal to marry a foreigner.  Should your fiancé/fiancée still attend school, please contact the school directly for details.
Where do I register my marriage?
All marriages in China must be registered with the Chinese Civil Affairs Office (民政局 Min Zheng Ju), within the city or town where you or your fiancé/fiancée are registered.    Persons planning to marry should visit or call the appropriate office for complete details on registering your marriage. 
Marriage certificates are usually issued on the same day the registration takes place.  Marriages that are legal in the jurisdiction in which they were performed are legal in the United States.  It is not necessary to register your marriage at the Embassy or in the United States, nor do you need to re-marry in the United States.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 08:25:46 pm by robertt snellgrove »

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 12:12:05 am »
Where are you going to get married? Some of the locals could give you directions.
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline T Town Hombre

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 08:21:36 pm »
Thank you Robert.

Gerry, I don't know.  It is in my fiance's hands.  She knows what to do and where to go.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 09:46:33 pm »
Thank you Robert.

Gerry, I don't know.  It is in my fiance's hands.  She knows what to do and where to go.
You should know where it is.

You can only marry in your ladies home city so obviously at this stage you will off course know where you lady is from.

That is if her home city marriage office has the facilities to marry Chinese Nationals to foreigners.  Only the very large cities have this service.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 10:03:16 pm »
Not necessarily true Willy.  My wife's home city is Zhangping, but we had to get married in Fuzhou - the capital of Fujian province.  That was the only place with an office for marriage to a foreigner.  Gotta love China.
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 11:10:26 pm »
When I met my (past) wife, she lived in Guangzhou.  But the Hokou was from Hunan...a small city near Chenzhou.  We had to get married in Changsha.

Welcome to the forum T Town Hombre.  Glad you came out of guest status, and decided to join the conversation.  Hopefully we get some more of our guests to do the same.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 02:04:34 am »
Not necessarily true Willy.  My wife's home city is Zhangping, but we had to get married in Fuzhou - the capital of Fujian province.  That was the only place with an office for marriage to a foreigner.  Gotta love China.
I thought that was what I was saying. My wife lived in Zhongshan.  Her home city was Hengyang, HuNan which cannot marry a foreigner so we had to marry in Changsha same as Martin.

So I will update it to say if the lady's home city does not carry out marriages for foreigners then they must go to the nearest city in that Province to do so.

So every man should know the answer to the question as to where.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline T Town Hombre

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 07:10:38 am »
She was born in Guangzhou.  This will be a second marriage for her also I'm sure she knows what office to go to.  I'll ask her though.

Gerry, I was born just south of there.

Hope you weren't a former student and resident of Big Mac.

Offline shaun

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 06:46:47 pm »
Welcome to the forum t town.  Have a good time there.

I'll PM you.  Maybe we could meet up for a dinner or something.  I will be there about the same time.  There are a couple of others there you might like to meet also.

Arnold

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 02:27:06 pm »

I'll PM you.  Maybe we could meet up for a dinner or something.  I will be there about the same time.  There are a couple of others there you might like to meet also.

PS: Let us know if you are going to be more than three that meet up, for that reason we need to send an Moderator to keep it all under control.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 09:02:45 pm »

PS: Let us know if you are going to be more than three that meet up, for that reason we need to send an Moderator to keep it all under control.

And Arnold will need to give you his credit card number so you can all pay for this meeting.

Offline T Town Hombre

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 09:10:58 pm »
I think I have everything in order.  I leave early tomorrow monring.

Arnold

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 09:16:05 pm »
I think I have everything in order.  I leave early tomorrow monring.

Have a great Trip/Adventure Hombre!

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 09:22:35 pm »
Have a fantastic trip T Town.  Looking forward to reading about your trip...um...dont forget to visit us here, and let us know how things are going.  Also, if things go south, we are here to help you while you are there, so feel free to ask us if you need us.