Author Topic: What do Chinese people do on Canada Day Eh?  (Read 4939 times)

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
What do Chinese people do on Canada Day Eh?
« on: July 02, 2012, 01:01:10 am »
My wife has been working part-time with the Calgary Chinese Cultural Center since the beginning of the new year. She was asked to attend the half hour performance that the society would perform in a side venue in Banff. She ended up performing for some time before the group's performance that helped draw the crowd as well as her designated place during the show. I have also uploaded part of the Peacock dance as I really enjoyed the performer's grace.

Originally I would not have taken the bus ride up with the group, but an empty seat was available so I could go up to Banff with my wife. As it was, she needed my help in lugging the zither around, and during the 30 minute - stretched to 45 minutes show, I was Shanghaied into being the MC for the Cultural center. After my wife's performance, I did get to share in my cultural experience by telling the audience that since most products now a days are Made in China, why not get a wife Made In China!

Canada Day Eh 011

Canada Day Eh 021

Canada Day Eh 026
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 01:05:59 am by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline JamesM.Roberts

Re: What do Chinese people do on Canada Day Eh?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 01:25:32 am »
What a great posting Rhonald -I'm glad there was a empty seat on the bus! Enjoyed it very much Thanks
Anyone can pick up an apple off the ground, but the sweeter ones take a little work to get to!!

Offline shaun

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 08:06:32 am »
Great post Rhon.   Is the second song a western song re-arranged?  Red River Valley?

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 08:10:57 am »
Bravo !
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 09:47:59 am »
that was great!!!  Thanks for sharing the video with us Rhon.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 10:55:50 am »
Is the second song a western song re-arranged?  Red River Valley?

It is indeed the Red River Valley song and from Chinese people they ask me if I know it too. It seems that they understand it as being a Western Song. The instrument does have difficulty translating many Western Songs on the instrument because it has only 5 notes instead of the 8 of most musical instruments. Jpeg 006 shows her setting up and as can be seen, every 5th string is green designating a new scale.

I have another video of the the girl standing while doing the peacock dance, but I had my camera record it sideways. I can easily flip pictures to be viewed in the proper orientation, but I don't know how to do it with a video recorded from the same camera. I wonder what software I would need.

By the end of the day, my wife was also wearing my miniature Canada Flag in her hair. Eventhough the Parade in Banff was small, she has expressed interest in performing in our Calgary Stampede Parade next year. Most of the performers do routines that cater to marching while she would need a float to set up on. So with more resources needed, I don't know if her desire will play out!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 11:02:49 am by Rhonald »

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 11:11:27 am »
Sounds like she is adapting really well to life in Canada, and life in Cow Town.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 11:30:05 am »
 :)  Yes Martin, you could say that she has caught her Bull by the Horns!

Early on she had expressed interest in returning to China after about a year to go buy clothing to bring back - because clothing is cheap in China. Although I don't see this once factoring in the cost of airplane tickets to the total purchased in clothing! But the more she has gone shopping and finding stores that provide deals, she sees that she can get good priced clothing. We went and bought some dresses for her from a store called Target. T-shirts for 5 bucks and jeans for 20 dollars. She said that the clothing texture she can't get back in China. I asked her to read the labels to see were it was made from. Her laugh gave me my answer.

Although one article was made in INDIA - the new emerging China - the rest from China. However, she is also learning that usually you get what you pay for. The pink shoes you can see her wearing, she bought from a bulk clothing store - International Clothiers for 20 dollars is already falling apart after only wearing them the first time on Canada Day!

With her enjoying the summer months here and learning where to shop, making friends and pursing her music, she now says that maybe in 3 years return back to China.

Now if I can only teach her & my Step-son to stop making the kitchen and bathroom floor so wet - I would be drinking Canada Dry Eh!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 11:35:19 am by Rhonald »

Arnold

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 01:05:24 pm »

Now if I can only teach her & my Step-son to stop making the kitchen and bathroom floor so wet - I would be drinking Canada Dry Eh

Very nice Video's Rhonald! Music to my Ears.. indeed!

Hahahaha.... Qings Son does the same thing with the bathroom floor after an shower. Good thing I got rid of the Linolium and tiled it with Epoxy grout. I do worry about the wood trim though. Well, I'll (we) will give him some time to straighten this out along with making his bed. I told Qing, if he resists making it.. I'll pull "all" the sheets off, this way he doesn't need to....! I've been around kids long enough and I know all their games and I don't play them.

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 10:28:16 pm »
really enjoyed those videos thanks Rhon
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 10:40:07 pm »
Great Vids and Pics Rhonald

The Peacock Dance is very popular here. Used at the opening ceremony of one of the events here in last year. They gave it a very spectacular finish.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,