Author Topic: My 4 months Absense from the forum  (Read 3291 times)

Offline JamesM.Roberts

My 4 months Absense from the forum
« on: September 18, 2012, 09:56:51 pm »
Sorry All been gone for a while-It's now been 4 months since Ping arrived and it seems more like 4 weeks.....(I tell her 4 years) If anyone has any questions I'll be more than happy to answer. I will say straight off.....It's worth all the trouble and the wait.
Anyone can pick up an apple off the ground, but the sweeter ones take a little work to get to!!

Offline shaun

Re: My 4 months Absense from the forum
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 09:36:06 am »
Welcome back.

Tell us what is the one thing you wish you would have done before she came to America?

Maybe we should extend that question to others who have their wives here now.

Offline JamesM.Roberts

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 01:26:12 am »
Thanks Shaun-I missed all of you Gentlemen ....and Ladies-I guess the one thing I wished I would have done before Ping's arrival would have been to QUIT SMOKING!!! Ping lost her brother right before she came here to cancer and she has a nose like a blood hound....and I'm not used to brushing my teeth twenty times a day.  ???
The other thing I wished I would have done was redoing the shower-It's going to be out of commission for about 4-5 days when I get around to it :o oh well at least my breath will smell good ;D

And most of all I wish I would have married her years ago
Anyone can pick up an apple off the ground, but the sweeter ones take a little work to get to!!

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 08:19:27 am »
Trouble is James it is not coming from your mouth. The smoke smell is coming up from your lungs.  I was a 50 plus a day smoker until i saw the light. Or rather did not need the light any more. That was 15 years ago. It did not take long for me to realise what I was putting other people through.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline JamesM.Roberts

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 02:17:54 am »
How did you Quit Willy?

• Board Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 08:36:53 am »
Easy. I thought I was dying. I felt so bad. I got home and just felt like the cigarette could wait for later. The next morning still feeling rough I said to myself put it off to luncheon time. That extending to teatime and dinner and after three days I thought my light another.  And that was so many years ago.

What I did not do was to throw away my lighter and the remains of the pack of cigarettes that I ha.  I carried them for two months so I had none of this 'Go and buy a pack' in my head.  At last I WAS able to control what I wanted inside me (to some extent).

I think the secret was have cigarettes with you BUT YOU decide when or if you ever want to smoke one. Not the craving inside.

As an aside we ridicule Drug addicts and what they pay for the stuff. But what if cigarettes were made illegal the world over like heroin and cocaine etc. - what would a smoker do for a puff. 

A smoker has to admit that he is up there with the dope and crack heads whether he likes it or not.

Besides in the films now only the bad guy smoke.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

• Board Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 08:39:09 am »
If you cannot stop and your dying for a smoke then you can just go set alight to a flag.  ;D ;D

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 09:56:15 am »
James,
    My wife asked me to stop smoking shortly after her arrival , I tried the Chantix pills without success twice. I finally managed to quit going using Equate brand nicotine patches from Wal-Mart and lollipops. A 2 week supply of patches is 25 dollars and tax. There is 3 stages of patches, they recommend using each stage for 2 weeks. I took no chances I used the first stage for 3 weeks and the 2nd stage for 3 weeks and never used the 3 rd stage. I set my quit date on a Monday morning, so on Sunday night before bed I applied the first patch to curb the urge for the morning smoke and it seemed to help. Always keeping some gum or lollipops around also helps when the urge to smoke occurs. The lollipops help more than gum in my opinion because they also give you something to do with your hands to pacify your mind. Plan to gain some weight also, I gained about 30 lbs after I quit but have lost about 10 of that. I still keep lollipops in all my vehicles and at home just in case the urge to smoke arises ( it will many time a day in the beginning )  One more note about the patches to keep in mind, using them at night has caused some people to have some strange dreams so if that is a problem just apply patches in the morning and remove before bedtime. Some of the dreams I was having were so exotic and interesting I was considering adding patches at bedtime! ;) Anyway that method worked for me and I have smoked 1-1.5 packs per day for the last 33 years. And yes I am still smoke free today but I could smoke a cigarette 10' foot long right now, so plan on this being something that requires diligence and fortitude on your part and you are lucky because your wife will help you every step of the way. There is also prizes for smoke-free anniversaries such as 7 days, 30 days, 31 days, 32 days, 33 days, ( this is when you start getting your wind back!) ;) and so forth! Good Luck and Best Wishes, Robert

Offline shaun

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 08:11:12 pm »
Willy, you and I used the same method to quit.  For me it was 26 years ago.

I tried the gum more than 26 years ago.  I only ate one piece.  It tasted like... well... you know...  But what really got me was what it did to my heart.  All of a sudden it was beating wildly and it felt like it was about to jump through my chest.

• Board Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 10:05:08 pm »
Willy, you and I used the same method to quit.  For me it was 26 years ago.

I tried the gum more than 26 years ago.  I only ate one piece.  It tasted like... well... you know...  But what really got me was what it did to my heart.  All of a sudden it was beating wildly and it felt like it was about to jump through my chest.
That puts you and I into the 'We are the worst non smokers' category. We seem to hate smoke around us much more than the average person who has never smoked.

Which somehow does not tie in with my now living in China the smoking capital of the World.  (Except for Scottish Robs front room that is.)

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 12:45:52 pm »
If you cannot stop and your dying for a smoke then you can just go set alight to a flag.  ;D ;D

Willy

To work properly, I think it has to be an American flag.

• Board Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 01:56:48 am »

Willy

To work properly, I think it has to be an American flag.

Now that is something that I could not possible comment on. ;D

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner